Cyclists

Just a note on cameras on bikes, I think car dashcams are normalised and people don't care or act surprised when a car has one.

With bikes some people seem surprised or ridicule those who use or want to use a bike dashcam because there's a handful of people posting footage of incidents that they don't always agree with etc.

I was the victim of a hit and run, the van driver just drove off, I had no camera and it was in the middle of South Mall, I made my first report to the Gardai in my life because obviously this warranted it - 2 months later I get a call from Gardai saying they can't find any CCTV and dropping it.

So now I don't cycle anywhere without one for insurance.
Perfectly reasonable post, however it is wasted here on the angered rattled ones. :ROFLMAO:

Just a note on cameras on bikes, I think car dashcams are normalised and people don't care or act surprised when a car has one.

With bikes some people seem surprised or ridicule those who use or want to use a bike dashcam because there's a handful of people posting footage of incidents that they don't always agree with etc.

I was the victim of a hit and run, the van driver just drove off, I had no camera and it was in the middle of South Mall, I made my first report to the Gardai in my life because obviously this warranted it - 2 months later I get a call from Gardai saying they can't find any CCTV and dropping it.

I would not ridicule anyone having a camera on a bicycle.
My issue is and as has been demonstrated throughout this thread, is the blatant disregard a certain cyclist has for his own safety, his total disregard for other road users, his obvious arrogance, his obvious bullying of women who drive and his total disregard for GDPR in the way he throws up footage of people which identifies them without their obvious permission. He does all the above, it appears just to get online attention as if on some sort of ongoing mission.

When you say you use one for insurance, in what regard do you mean ?

My only issue is with people who post the footage on social media. Same goes for motorists who post dashcam footage online.

No issue whatsoever with someone using a camera (cyclist or otherwise) as a means of documenting and therefore protecting themselves from any incidents that may happen.

My issue is and as has been demonstrated throughout this thread, is the blatant disregard a certain cyclist has for his own safety, his total disregard for other road users, his obvious arrogance, his obvious bullying of women who drive and his total disregard for GDPR in the way he throws up footage of people which identifies them without their obvious permission. He does all the above, it appears just to get online attention as if on some sort of ongoing mission.

Isn't is amazing that he has been putting videos online since 2015 on twitter and has never fallen foul of it GDPR regulations, why is that do you think, particularly so when you consider some these videos have ended up the hands of Garda and used in court cases?

If they cause damage to me or my bike or crash and blame me, I can show I wasn't at fault - I have been in that situation in a car crash with no video only witnesses, it was nasty but ultimately the court found the other driver liable (they ran a red light and hit us) but I had to go and testify for the Gardai and my grandmother (the driver) had long drawn out insurance claim to fix her car take far longer then it should have.

Also GDPR doesn't apply when there's no reasonable expectation of privacy, the EU supreme court ruled against a group (Italian i think) policemen who tried to say people filming them in public violated GDPR - The court disagreed.

My only issue is with people who post the footage on social media. Same goes for motorists who post dashcam footage online.

No issue whatsoever with someone using a camera (cyclist or otherwise) as a means of documenting and therefore protecting themselves from any incidents that may happen.

Yeah a lot of the footage that guy posts up is just completely unnecessary, nothing incidents that most cyclists might react to with a brief shake of the head, if even that. As a cyclist you learn to pick your battles, assume the best in people and just get on with your day. This clown justs posts videos for attention, for the most part. Which is a shame, because occasionally he posts something genuinely shocking and dangerous but that gets overshadowed by the constant obnoxiousness.

On that note, I would disagree that no footage ever should be posted on social media, it's important that drivers see stuff from a cyclists perspective because too many drivers don't fucking think. Posting a video of an older woman who just happened to encroach on to a cycle lane though, that's just pure bullying and attention-seeking.

my opinion on camera on your bike is....it could be very handy as posters are saying in the event of an incident however for me it would spoil the cycle i reckon(i have never had a camera so i am just supposing like.). about seventy percent at least of my cycling is lesuire cycling so i dont want it spoilt by a camera watching everything...it would probably put me in a tense mood ...by the way and probably off topic but i would love to hear people expieriences of bike shop owners when you call to them looking for a bike repair.

my opinion on camera on your bike is....it could be very handy as posters are saying in the event of an incident however for me it would spoil the cycle i reckon(i have never had a camera so i am just supposing like.). about seventy percent at least of my cycling is lesuire cycling so i dont want it spoilt by a camera watching everything...it would probably put me in a tense mood ...by the way and probably off topic but i would love to hear people expieriences of bike shop owners when you call to them looking for a bike repair.

I forget mines there, even locked it up once and forgot it - pop it on charge when i get home and it automatically backs up any saved videos without me needing to do anything, very handy and the mount lets it just slide in and out easily.

It's probably less hassle and effort then charging and mounting my bike lights to be honest, I always take it off and put it in my bag in sensitive areas or where I know it's unnecessary and may cause alarm (Fitzgerald's Park, Little cousins GAA Matches etc) where it serves no purpose and looks creepy.

Yeah a lot of the footage that guy posts up is just completely unnecessary, nothing incidents that most cyclists might react to with a brief shake of the head, if even that. As a cyclist you learn to pick your battles, assume the best in people and just get on with your day. This clown justs posts videos for attention, for the most part. Which is a shame, because occasionally he posts something genuinely shocking and dangerous but that gets overshadowed by the constant obnoxiousness.

On that note, I would disagree that no footage ever should be posted on social media, it's important that drivers see stuff from a cyclists perspective because too many drivers don't fucking think. Posting a video of an older woman who just happened to encroach on to a cycle lane though, that's just pure bullying and attention-seeking.

That's all fair enough.
I'm not on any social media platform and I have a bit of thing against it in general so when I hear of stuff like that being posted online it just rubs me the wrong way irregardless of whether it is a serious offence or a nothing offence.
I recognise that I'm kind of unique in that regard though so yeah I can accept that there probably is a benefit in showcasing the more serious incidents.

That's all fair enough.
I'm not on any social media platform and I have a bit of thing against it in general so when I hear of stuff like that being posted online it just rubs me the wrong way irregardless of whether it is a serious offence or a nothing offence.
I recognise that I'm kind of unique in that regard though but yeah I can accept that there probably is a benefit in showcasing the more serious incidents.

Raising awareness is important too, take this driver for instance - they ran a stop sign at an exit where a little kid was cycling in a protected bike lane - dad has to jam on the brakes and put his hand out to stop him. Driver also brakes quickly but they wouldn't have had to if they bloody stopped.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tom Odell
Live At The Marquee

25th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Henry Glassie: Fieldwork (G) [Pat Collins Season]

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 8:05pm

More events ▼