Cyclists

I didnt say it was in the rules of the road but the good behaviour guidlines on various irish cycling websites do instruct cyclists to give consideration to faster moving traffic. The "by law" bit was a bit of leap on my part.
I dont think that cyclists really should be thinking "should I let this car pas or not". Two abreast cyclists holding up a single car are dangerous.

I am wondering if there are any irish cases of cyclists being convicted (or even jailed) for dangerous behaviour on the road.
Sorry, that's exactly what I'm thinking. Seeing as when the asshole in the car finnaly sees the truck on the opposite side of road, it's me he's going to swerve into to avoid the truck.

I propose that all cars should be banned from the road to solve this issue, or they should be at least forced to drive on the footpath.

People who 'rage' about cyclists are so dull. Get a life fist shakers.

Admittedly, cyclists who cycle two abreast thinking they are in the Pyrenees on busy narrow roads or on dual carriageways in rush hour are stupid. Cyclists breaking lights in a city centre are generally harmless.

FFS - that's the very attitude that causes the problems. The rest of us should obey the rules of the road but shure the cyclists are generally harmless.

This morning I witnessed 6 cyclists, 2 of whom were in high viz vests and helmets, one had neither but all three seemed to be obeying the rules of the road the bit I saw them. However I also witnessed 3, that's half in an admittedly small sample, cycling on the footpath.

Why do people go on about hi-vis and helmets - there is no obligation to wear either and evidence to suggest that people wearing them promotes the false idea that cycling is dangerous in general.

And another thing ;-)
See the amount of "cool" cyclists who cycle along without having any hands on the handlebars - they should have their bicycles taken off them on the spot. Can you immagine what would happen if a cop saw a guy in even an automatic car driving along with his arms folded or evidently both off the steering wheel??? And that's on a 4 wheeled vehicle where there's no problems with balancing or breaking. But these gowls cycling with no hands on the bars "ah shure that's part of the craic"

Why do people go on about hi-vis and helmets - there is no obligation to wear either and evidence to suggest that people wearing them promotes the false idea that cycling is dangerous in general.

I was pointing out that these people had extra concern for their own safety, I never even suggested it was compulsary. You just wanted to rant about it apparently :cool:

Couriers? This is about the Cycle N@zis and their behaviour and how they're impacting on other road users in Cork. Douglas Road out beyond Western Road on PROC site shouldve been a bit of a hint.

This morning I witnessed 6 cyclists, 2 of whom were in high viz vests and helmets, one had neither but all three seemed to be obeying the rules of the road the bit I saw them. However I also witnessed 3, that's half in an admittedly small sample, cycling on the footpath.

Last night on my way home Douglas Street to High Street there was a beaut in his 50s I'd say. He had high viz vest and helmet but he undertook about 6 cars slowing for red light, he carried on through the red light for momentum to get him up High Street. When up at Zicos and traffic pulling off again this clown started overtaking traffic approaching the junction and it was impossible to know what he was doing until he carried straight on - and I mean STRAIGHT on up on the footpath by the Post Office opposite and he carried on cycling out Douglas Road on the footpath without a care in the world. This wasn't some youngster, this was a guy in his 50s!

If Bicycles had to have a registration plate the way motor-vehicles do to identify them and their drivers one suspects a lot of this cowboyism would be reduced.

Just for balance then. One my cycle to work a while ago, at the last junction I went through which is a major busy crossroads the lights went red to my right, 2 cars raced through after they were red and a taxi about 20m back also accelerated into the junction I'd say a solid 5 seconds after the light went red. The first 2 got through ok but there was a car in the junction waiting to turn across them (he had positioned himself correctly) and the taxi came within a metre of smashing into him head on when he began to complete his turn, assuming the fucking idiot taxi driver was going to obey the lights

No cyclist broke the lights at this junction

And another thing ;-)
See the amount of "cool" cyclists who cycle along without having any hands on the handlebars - they should have their bicycles taken off them on the spot. Can you immagine what would happen if a cop saw a guy in even an automatic car driving along with his arms folded or evidently both off the steering wheel??? And that's on a 4 wheeled vehicle where there's no problems with balancing or breaking. But these gowls cycling with no hands on the bars "ah shure that's part of the craic"

:rolleyes: I have to stop taking you seriously now, you're obviously just bitter in general.
The problem with you thinking that the cyclist thinks they're cool cycling with no hands exists only in your head.
Cycling with no hands is more of a comfort thing. It's good to straighten up your back every now and again.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Cork Voices Of The Irish Revolution

St. Peters Cork, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼