Cyclists

You mean on a single or double white line? You are aware what that means, right?

I mean what I said, the comment is pretty clear an simple.

Btw are you as unfamiliar with the rules regarding continuous white lines as you are with the rules regarding cyclists travelling 2 abreast.

Pretty much all of (the cycle lanes in Cork City are unfit for purpose and would be better reverting to use by motorists), exceptions being the ones running from Infirmary Road to Parnell Place and the one on the Western Road. Full of potholes and road debris. Would you drive into a massive pothole or would you try to avoid it, as a matter of interest?

Too many motorists are looking for confrontation on the road with their "I'm perfectly entitled to drive any way I feel like it, and irrespective of whether or not there's a cyclist there or not" attitude.

Okidoke - on behalf of the beleaguered motorists who've had two lane thoroughfares reduced to single lanes to accommodate cycle lanes you don't bother using because you deem them unfit for purpose I look forward to the return of Sullivans Quay, and South Main Street to reverting to two lanes again. It'll help traffic run a lot more smoothly there. Out along the Lower Road to the Railway Station should be an improvement too with the removal of the dangerous chicane put in to placate cycle Nazis.

Rules of the road allow for cyclists to 'take the lane'. Reasons could be an oncoming obstacle in the carriageway, intent to turn left, or is more likely the case in Ireland, the road is in total shite. Road positioning is a skill that needs to be taught better to all road users, TBH.

On your second point, it's been consistently proven that two abreast is quicker and safer for both cyclists and motorists. So your argument kinda falls apart after that. Don't have time to look for the RSA ad, but this is one from the UK:

It doesn't really, well it does and it doesn't.
In the example, I accept the point that 4x2 (4 pairs of 2 abreast) is easier than 8x1 (8 in single file), will be safer and faster. Except in Ireland and certainly in my experience, 8 will invariably wil be 2x4 or 2x3 and 1x2 i.e. taking up the entirety of one side of the road. Secondly the number of times you encounter 4 or more cyclists is usually when you encounter a cycle club (see above) and when you do encounter 2 cycling abreast then, per your film, they slip into single file when it is safe to do so making it easier and safer to pass.

Point being, the issue is not with one or two cyclists together who by and large do as they should. It is with larger groups, or lycra mafia, who wouldn't dream of cycling in a 4x2 because they believe they should be able to do what they like.

But how about this for a compromise make it so the maximum grouping of cyclists is 4x2, even if there are 24 of them and that they be spaced out in 3 4x2 groupings to allow cars to pass safely between them and we have a deal?

So we are on opposite ends of the argument here.
The ideal is that everyone can use the road in safety are we agreed on that?

Cyclists need to accept their place on the road. And by that I mean not as second class road users but their physical place on the road. It is not in the middle it is by the left hand margin and while the rules of the road allows 2 abreast they should merge back into single file when traffic approaches. Why? Not because as a motorist it would suit me, but because it is safer for both the motorist AND the cyclist. It allows the motorist extra room to pass the cyclist safely.

Fully agreed

No, I'm not posting a diagram for that reason, you hysterical parody of a man. (But continue to play the man if that's all you've got.)

That was to show accepted best practice as concerns PPE. You can find numerous studies on this topic if you care to look. You can even find that diagram, or variations thereof, on the HSA website. That one was clearer.

The fact remains, PPE should never be used as a primary means of protection. This is a well-accepted fact in primary legislation in all countries that bother to have any input into the manner. The fact that it takes place in a public place instead of a workplace only reinforces the fact.

I'll ask again, what do you mean by hi viz? There is no requirement in Irish or EU law for something called hi viz. Or even high visibility clothing, to be pedantic. I assume you're all for painting every vehicle bright yellow then so if that's the case?

You mention some US law. I'll stick with Irish law that requires me to have a front and rear light visible during lighting up hours, thanks. Seems a bit safer to me, TBPHWY.

Other, proven methods should be introduced if people were concerned about cyclist safety, such as the proposed MPDL. Which would have a far greater impact on cyclist safety?

All these facts are relevant, the fact you can't see that is your problem, champ.

You've no idea what you're doing shitforbrains.

Maybe your comments would have a teeny bit of relevance in a factory that manufactured bicycles.

And I'm saying that to be charitable, dickbreath.

:lol:

You could be lit up like a Christmas tree as a cyclist or motorcyclist, still wont prevent accidents because of the lack of awareness/education of drivers.

This new Hi vis proposal for cyclists from the gardai is just another soft touch to make a few euros.

You could be lit up like a Christmas tree as a cyclist or motorcyclist, still wont prevent accidents because of the lack of awareness/education of drivers.

This new Hi vis proposal for cyclists from the gardai is just another soft touch to make a few euros.

If they wanted to "make a few euros" they could introduce some on the spot fines for cyclist-fuckwittery.

20Euro for going wrong way up one way street
20Euro for cycling on footpaths
20Euro for riding without a bell or sufficient lights on yer bike

FFS it could finance the entire justice department the amount of cyclist fuckwittery that's prevalent at the moment

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Route66

Cantys, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼