cycling, EPO, that type of thing

from

http://cyclinginfo.co.uk/blog/procycling/cycling-doping-scandals/

Doping is almost as old as professional cycling itself. When Henri Desgrange had the brain wave of instituting a tour around France, he wanted to create an event which required ’superhuman effort’. Those intrepid cyclists who entered early editions had to pay a 5 Franc entrance fee and were also told they must supply their own dope – which in those days included alcohol, cocaine and chlorofoam.

The Tour did not take a completely blind eye to cheating, in 1906 3 riders were expelled for taking a train. Compared to the skull dugdery of poisoning rivals, and throwing nails on the road surface, dope taking hardly seemed a priority. The early organisers were most keen to encourage the superhuman feats which helped sell papers. It is perhaps from this perspective that we can better understand why doping became such an intrinsic part of cycling’s culture.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/01/27/1075087997230.html?from=storyrhs

Disgraced French cyclist Philippe Gaumont claimed today that 90 per cent of professional riders had used, or were currently using, performance enhancing drugs

"However in no way do I want to blame the riders, because we are victims of a rotten system.

"It is this rotten system that I am going to take on in the coming weeks," added Gaumont, who already served a drugs ban after failing a test in 1997.

Gaumont claimed that to be successful the riders came under pressure from the team sponsors to take drugs.

"We quit our schooling early, and embark on a sport where we can't control anything that goes on.

"We are under enormous pressure from the sponsors, where we are compelled to get good results.

"There is nothing to be done by them because we can easily get round the drugs tests," he said.

"The thing we can't get round are the customs officers, the police, the bugging of telephones.

I still don't understand how they decide where "training" ends and "cheating" begins. I mean, how exactly is taking a drug that will make you better at your sport all that different to, say, eating 10,000 calories a day while in competition? Or taking vitamin pills. Or taking anti-histamine so you don't sneeze your way through your race. What's the difference? How do they decide what is allowed and what isn't?

I still don't understand how they decide where "training" ends and "cheating" begins. I mean, how exactly is taking a drug that will make you better at your sport all that different to, say, eating 10,000 calories a day while in competition? Or taking vitamin pills. Or taking anti-histamine so you don't sneeze your way through your race. What's the difference? How do they decide what is allowed and what isn't?

best of my knowledge a committee decides beforehand whats allowed and what isn't ... in some cases it can be a pretty grey area. Its essentially something that boosts performance through "non-natural" means.

For example taking a growth steroid is illegal cause its and enhancement. Eating calorie intensive food isn't as its "fuel" that your body has to process naturally. Just lots of it.

best of my knowledge a committee decides beforehand whats allowed and what isn't ... in some cases it can be a pretty grey area. Its essentially something that boosts performance through "non-natural" means.

For example taking a growth steroid is illegal cause its and enhancement. Eating calorie intensive food isn't as its "fuel" that your body has to process naturally. Just lots of it.

Of course you're right that the food is a bad example. But then what about the antihistamine? Or asthma medicine?

I'm not going to labour this, I'm just curious about this, it's never really made sense to me. I tend to think of it as being as much a product of a fairly arbitrary, puritan "war on drugs" attitude as anything else.

Of course you're right that the food is a bad example. But then what about the antihistamine? Or asthma medicine?

I'm not going to labour this, I'm just curious about this, it's never really made sense to me. I tend to think of it as being as much a product of a fairly arbitrary, puritan "war on drugs" attitude as anything else.

Asthma, heh, heh. last I saw there was about 86% of cyclists suffering from it!!

Also, I _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ there was a whatyamacllit!

These are allowed if registered beforehand and subject to a medical check.

Oddly enough, the prevalence of Asthma among elite athletes is much higher than among the ordinary population.

Something i've always wondered, if athletes and sports stars are allowed have raised levels of certains drugs (salbutamol being one that comes to mind) in their system due to the medication they take for asthma do they then have an unfair advantage over people who are not asthmatic and therefore not allowed have salbutamol????

thats a great point. and a good debate, one that rages in the world of sports{every sport} everyday.

but just so you know
even if you eat 10000 calories , a lot of the nutrients are not absorbed by the body in a natural state. there is limit to the amounts of protiens broken down into free form amino acids, branch chain aminos, complex/simple carbs, vits and minerals that the body can absorb at one time. or through out the course of the day.muscles have protein receptors. in a natural state, they can grab 40 to 65g of protein when in anaboilc state as apposed to a catabolic one.

this is the same with other such nutrients. the bodys digestive system simpily cant make use of the 10,000 calories. bio availability is the issue here.

if you take a substance , such as an anabolic steroid like "dianabol" ,"anavar","clenbutrol"or"anabol" your protien recptors are all turned on . all at once. which does not happen in a natural state.

then, due to the presence of anabolic steroids, can the body make use of all the nutrients in the 10,000 calories.

e.p.o. works differently. epo increases certain type of blood cells/platelets. it increases the oxygen carrying ability of the blood. a bonus for runners or cyclists , or anyone engager in areobic exercise.{not much use to a powerlifter or weight lifter/bodybuilder}

this is a sad fact, taken from the book"the death of marco pantaini"
apparently his team where so juiced up on epo, anabolic steroids, that there blood was thick. literaly. thick with oxygen carrying cells.
thay had to sleep with h.r. monitors, and if their heart rates dropped, an alarm would sound and they had to get up on the stationary bike in order to raise their h.r. so that they would not suffer massive bangers.

and this between stages.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Lyra
Live At The Marquee

16th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Comedy Cavern: Open Mic

Coughlan's, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼