Covid + You

apart from the obvious stuff that the other thread covers well, what 3 things has the Covid experience so far changed your mind on, or confirmed for you on a personal level?

Time - I never had any before trying to balance work, family, life and the kids sports/activities and coaching. Life is incredibly relaxed in that regard right now.. a half way house in all of those might be no harm on all fronts once we are back. Having said that I'm still not for sitting still so DIY around the house has taken the brunt :)

Excercise - I'd have been relatively fit anyway but having had all of my usual routes to exercise taken away I have started running instead and am definitely exercising a good bit more than I had been. I'm getting out about 4 times a week, partly to just get out and grab a bit of headspace. I'd have never imagined it but I will definitely keep the running and level of exercise going

Change - Things always change, and always have.. but the idea that the whole world could be flipped on its head in an instant is a phenomenal notion.. the kids reaction to it is incredible. I was always one for living for the moment within reason, if anything Covid has made me more determined about that

You?

Personally, I generally work very long days, but the family time I am getting at the moment is second to none, it's possibly the best thing to come out of the whole pandemic for me.

I have also been getting a lot of odd jobs done around the house, normally they are silly little jobs that are put onto the long finger, but all on top of it now.

It's been awful. Sick for most of it, out of work. Can't enjoy anything as don't feel well enough. Need a haircut and a snack box to feel human. Not able to eat that much though or have drink very often. Tired, waiting for results for 16 days. Sleeping too much, not able to catch up on every series or movie I want to see. No hugs in ages and not able to go anywhere. Nightmare trying to shop, seeing few people. All in all TERRIBLE.

Time: I went out for a stroll the other morning about 6.30. The noise of the birds was insane and watching mammy duck lead the little ones around made me smile. We are all stuck in the present moment but we should enjoy it for what it is. Most of us try to escape from the present moment everyday without even realising it. Think about what you have gained today, not the materials you may have lost. Weather permitting I will be back out in the morning to embrace the world around me once more.

Exercise: Thank god for my canine m8s, they are my pass outside even if they are sick to death of me saying walkies lol. And besides I think we are all sick to death of netflixing and chilling with our other halfs for pre exercising warm ups.

Change: Enforced or not this is a great thing. We can all change if we allow it to happen. This is the opportunity we wont get again. Its a time to reflect, to make the wrongs right in a lot of aspects in our lives. Its time to let go of ego. Its time to smile. Its time to be happy inside, not to just look happy because of materialistic outside wealth but inside, where only you can see.

Great post honky.

1. Dogs are fuckin awesome. We rescued a dog this time last year and she has helped all of us so much through this by just being a constant love bug but also making sure we get lots of walks every day. I honestly think this lockdown would have been so much harder without a dog.

2. Nature is a natural anti depressant. I’ve always done lots of hillwalking and walks outside but it’s even more apparent to me know how much it can help the mental side of things. When I’m outside I naturally forget we are in a pandemic and it definitely helps by tuning me out of the constant Covid 19 noise in the media.

3. Gemma O’Doherty is a fucking cunt.

anyone worried that this time will pass, and at the end we'll just be balder (and hairier at the same time), fatter, lazier versions of what we were at the start?

I haven't made any of the sourdoughbread (wtf), or learned a new language, or developed an app for (fuckit I can't even be bothered thinking up what app my life is missing).

I am getting good at stifling yawns during online meetings - and at trying to work out in an online meeting who might be sitting where if we were really in a room (I was at a meeting yesterday where the chair said we should go round the table to introduce ourselves. She started and then non one followed - LOL - how we laughed).

On the non-work side, turns out I get on fairly well with the wife and kids - which is a relief.

1. Dogs are fuckin awesome. We rescued a dog this time last year and she has helped all of us so much through this by just being a constant love bug but also making sure we get lots of walks every day. I honestly think this lockdown would have been so much harder without a dog.

2. Nature is a natural anti depressant. I’ve always done lots of hillwalking and walks outside but it’s even more apparent to me know how much it can help the mental side of things. When I’m outside I naturally forget we are in a pandemic and it definitely helps by tuning me out of the constant Covid 19 noise in the media.

3. Gemma O’Doherty is a fucking cunt.

sorry - I forgot, I wanted to include this.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
King K
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

3rd May 2024 @ 10pm
More info..
More events ▼