Cork's Greatest Writers

Was it in Murphy that Beckett mentions Ringaskiddy? So we'll claim him too.

We might as well considering the best Irish writers got out of Ireland because of how shite the arts scene was here. And people will be quick to lay the blame at the doors of the Catholic Church, but I'm not too sure about that.
Thats because the Catholic Church was the driving force behind censorship. Up to the mid 60s we had the most repressive censorship in Europe outside of the Soviet Bloc or Francos Spain.

Thats because the Catholic Church was the driving force behind censorship. Up to the mid 60s we had the most repressive censorship in Europe outside of the Soviet Bloc or Francos Spain.
I'm saying it wasn't all the institution. I think a lot of people, ordinary people, bought into the same types of ideas about what art and writing should be. Sure, there was plenty who appreciated it, but I'd put money on there being far more decrying the type of stuff that came out.

If we have trends these days about what's popular, what's funded and published, then in those days the "trend" was to ignore our greats, forcing them out. That couldn't happen purely from the church, the church had to have support from quite a few people.

I'm saying it wasn't all the institution. I think a lot of people, ordinary people, bought into the same types of ideas about what art and writing should be. Sure, there was plenty who appreciated it, but I'd put money on there being far more decrying the type of stuff that came out.

If we have trends these days about what's popular, what's funded and published, then in those days the "trend" was to ignore our greats, forcing them out. That couldn't happen purely from the church, the church had to have support from quite a few people.
🤔
One has to remember that Ireland used to be poor so ordinary people had no spare cash for the arts.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Polly Barrett
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

8th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Jazz Improv! All Players Welcome

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼