Cork Minor Hurling 2024

Lads, can we see how the minors get on before we start the post mortem? They've been competitive all the way up, though agree from what I know that JM may have landed on his best 15-20 too far out. But they / JM may very well yet come good, and JM does have good (relatively) younger coaches such as Seanie McGrath and Vincie Hurley in his set up. As for Celtic Challenge, from what I know / hear the vast majority of the lads dropped off JM's panel along the way are involved (and generally do stand out).

I’ve heard that the Celtic challenge is losing its gloss. In some regions the best of the rest outside the minor panel didn’t even go to the Celtic challenge trials. What’s wrong there?
Really? Don’t know what might be wrong, You’d think any young fella would jump at the chance to play against other counties no matter what the level ok it’s not minor but it is a chance at playing some inter county no? Pity if that’s the case.

Another problem with Rebel Og for sure.
Fellas picked at minor based on Rebel Og performances years previous.
It’s a joke and it can’t be disbanded soon enough. You’ve a fella managing another Cork underage team that is coaching teams for nearly 20 years and I can’t recall any team he was involved in ever winning anything.
what would you replace it with as a matter of interest?
Obviously i am all for chaotic structures in cork .

Just to add, it seems to be standard that the 15-20 are picked 6months out from championship, was at P1/P2 finals last Nov, Midleton beat Douglas well and only one Midleton player in the 36 (very strange), and to add in the P2 final. I am surprised that our forwards were poor v Dublin, because one forward I saw playing for Mallow got 1-5 all from play in a champ final against an excellently coached Donal og Colmans team, this player has not made the top 45 in Cork. I would expect with the excellent coaches mentioned Hurley/McGrath, they should know good forwards.

Did Cork not win 2 Munster titles under him? I know for Cork it’s nothing special but it’s still a significant achievement all the same.
Just the one, in 2018. A fine title to win. Meyler seems to have had a v mixed career as a manager and in management teams - some genuine triumphs like with Kerry in 1993, and low points like the end of his spell in charge of Wexford. Like some others, I would have preferred a younger candidate (for instance, Jamie Wall) who might if successful come into the frame for senior management further down the line. That said, I have nothing against Meyler and I hope he'll be more successful than some posters on here fear.

Lads, can we see how the minors get on before we start the post mortem? They've been competitive all the way up, though agree from what I know that JM may have landed on his best 15-20 too far out. But they / JM may very well yet come good, and JM does have good (relatively) younger coaches such as Seanie McGrath and Vincie Hurley in his set up. As for Celtic Challenge, from what I know / hear the vast majority of the lads dropped off JM's panel along the way are involved (and generally do stand out).
I'm not following things as closely as some other posters, so it might be that I'm just not aware of warning signs, but this is my attitude as well - let's see how they get on the the round robin before reaching conclusions. Minimum target is to finish in the top three - anything less than that would be a failure, and I'm sure Meyler would admit as much.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

13th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Son Of Crazy Chester

Coughlan's, Today @ 10:30pm

More events ▼