Cork Minor football 2023

Sorry now Doug but that's a bit delusional in my view.

It's a big step up from u17 to under 20 so you would want to be an exceptional 18 year old to make an under 20 panel, let alone team. In 2 years time you could see a good few of them involved no doubt but a lot of this years Under 20 panel are underage next year and the year behind them has plenty talent aswell so competition will be stiff.

And as for the current minor management, I would ask you what exactly their credentials are to merit taking an Under 20 inter county team? The criteria for Under 20 should be that you have proven yourself at club level, underage or possibly adult or schools level or third level right? Go through the Minor management and tell me how they stack up there?
And yes, you could ask questions of the U20 crew on the line this year for certain, but they did win a minor All Ireland at least.
Wasn’t O’Mahony part of a recent Eire Og U21 team that won a 3 in a row? The list is pretty short if you’re looking for young Cork coaches who have won a load of major competitions outside of (or even inside) Cork.

None of our schools have won a Corn Uí Mhuirí in the last 10 years.
No Cork school has won a Hogan Cup since 1991.
No Cork club team has won a senior All Ireland club championship in the last 20 years.

Most of the Cork teams that have won stuff in recent years have been praised for their characters in coming back from deficits or seeing out close wins. When you look at the UCC Sigerson cup win, the Barr's Munster club championship win, the Cork U20 AI or the Cork minor AI four years ago, you wouldn’t say any of them were overly dominant. They all showed great character to win but you could argue that they had the talent to be more comfortable wins than they were. Also, I’m not sure that anybody would argue that they were reinventing the wheel in terms of their style of football.

John Cleary was obviously part of successful U20 teams and is the Cork senior coach and seems to be doing a decent job. Overall though, we seem to consistently have one of the lowest kick-out retention rates of any of the top 20 counties in Ireland, despite having one of the biggest picks of different types of athletes. Our kickouts were dreadfully poor against Kerry at U20 level. This is one of the reasons I like O’Mahony, he was a goalkeeper coach before, and based on what I’ve seen with this team, he is very astute around defensive, attacking and kickout systems.

When it comes to the step up from minor to U20, it is obviously big but it has been done before. Egan was the best U20 footballer in the country two years ago in the Offaly U20 All Ireland win. Lawton, Corbett, Cronin, Tommy and Colin Walsh are examples of Cork guys who’ve done it in the last few years.

Last edited:
Wasn’t O’Mahony part of a recent Eire Og U21 team that won a 3 in a row? This list is pretty short if you’re looking for young Cork coaches who have won a load of major competitions outside of (or even inside) Cork.

No Cork club team has won a senior All Ireland club championship in the last 20 years.

Most of the Cork teams that have won stuff in recent years have been praised for their characters in coming back from deficits or seeing out close wins. When you look at the UCC Sigerson cup win, the Barr's Munster club championship win, the Cork U20 AI or the Cork minor AI four years ago, you wouldn’t say any of them were overly dominant. They all showed great character to win but you could argue that they had the talent to be more comfortable wins than they were. Also, I’m not sure that anybody would argue that they were reinventing the wheel in terms of their style of football.

John Cleary was obviously part of successful U20 teams and is the Cork senior coach and seems to be doing a decent job. Overall though, we seem to consistently have one of the lowest kick-out retention rates of any of the top 20 counties in Ireland, despite having one of the biggest picks of different types of athletes. Our kickouts were dreadfully poor against Kerry at U20 level. This is one of the reasons I like O’Mahony, he was a goalkeeper coach before, and based on what I’ve seen with this team, he is very astute around defensive, attacking and kickout systems.

When it comes to the step up from minor to U20, it is obviously big but it has been done before. Egan was the best U20 footballer in the country two years ago in the Offaly U20 All Ireland win. Lawton, Corbett, Cronin, Tommy and Colin Walsh are examples of Cork guys who’ve done it in the last few years.
Did you see what our kickout strategy today got us Doug? It started to go south in the last 10 minutes of the first half when we couldn't get out of our own half and conceded 3 points one after the other. They had a chance to do something at HT, they didn't. We saw what happened in the 2nd half, it was the longest car crash waiting to happen and it did.

This team started playing football today after an awful Munster football final where they were obviously told to hold possession at all costs and sacrifice any kind of attacking flair or speed by trying to walk the ball up the field. Yes they removed the shackles a bit today but it was a bit too late unfortunately. I'm sorry but that mgt team aren't getting a break. That loss today was mostly self inflicted with a shitty hand from the referee with 2 ludricous decisions in the 2nd half. No fault on any young fella in red.

Did you see what our kickout strategy today got us Doug? It started to go south in the last 10 minutes of the first half when we couldn't get out of our own half and conceded 3 points one after the other. They had a chance to do something at HT, they didn't. We saw what happened in the 2nd half, it was the longest car crash waiting to happen and it did.

This team started playing football today after an awful Munster football final where they were obviously told to hold possession at all costs and sacrifice any kind of attacking flair or speed by trying to walk the ball up the field. Yes they removed the shackles a bit today but it was a bit too late unfortunately. I'm sorry but that mgt team aren't getting a break. That loss today was mostly self inflicted with a shitty hand from the referee with 2 ludricous decisions in the 2nd half. No fault on any young fella in red.
Cork retained possession from 84% (21/24) of their kickouts by mixing up short kickouts, mid-range kickouts and long ones. The risk of a goal is always there when you aim for such a high retention rate but it's a risk that teams are willing and happy to take in the modern game. It is worth noting that Dubling also conceded a goal from a short kickout.

Ultimately, the kickouts kept Cork in the lead for 60 minutes of a game where they were heavy underdogs against one of the most highly rated Dublin minor teams in the last 5/6 years. A Dublin team that had a serious height advantage all across the field and had beaten them by 15+ points in a challenge game a few months previous. To be brutally honest, I think that game is a hammering if they don’t use the short kickouts or if they resort to the tactics our U20 did against Kerry.

I've taken this post below from the Dublin GAA discussion thread on boards.ie to show that it's not just Cork people who think that Cork were hard done by the ref today:

''Some turn around alright, can easily happen in underage games but Cork must be sick

Edit: just saw the incident towards the end where Cork should have had a free in 20m from goal but ref gave a free out and Dublin went up to get the levelling point (edit). You'd be livid if you were from Cork''

and this from another poster

'Yeah right in front of the ref not sure how a free in wasn't given to Cork. Not sure where all the added time came from? heart went out to the Cork number 2 Niall O'Shea a costly mistake that cost his county a semi final place"

and this from another

''Some Cork posters are unhappy with a couple of decisions near the end. They have a valid point on one definately''

There were a few reasons why they couldn’t close it out but the biggest reason by far was the performance of the referee. In what world is that rugby tackle not a blatant free in and black card with two minutes left?

The rugby tackle was followed by the Dublin player ripping the ball off the ground before another Dublin player went through the back of Sheedy who was picking up the ball.

Dublin also got a free for one of their players losing their footing and running into a Cork player, who was supposed to magically disappear. You could point to 4 or 5 other insanely soft frees Dublin got when they were chasing the game.

I know referees put in a lot of effort and give up their time but so do the players and coaches. They deserve a lot better than the refereeing they were subjected to. Astonishingly poor refereeing even at this level.

It was a brutal decision and he was looking right at it.

Agree with heartrate spot on was at game Kerry played number 6 as sweeper in a central position all day stopping the ball reaching the Cork inside forwards who will do damage if they get ball
On the other hand we played ou sweeper out on touchline no danger to Kerry there our sweeper should have played as a 3 rd midfielder with instructions every time he got ball drive straight up the centre of pitch forcing the Kerry sweeper to come out and tackle which would have let space inside for the Cork inside forwards to get goals and win the game for Cork easy fix but management need to act on before the dubs game

Wasn’t O’Mahony part of a recent Eire Og U21 team that won a 3 in a row? The list is pretty short if you’re looking for young Cork coaches who have won a load of major competitions outside of (or even inside) Cork.

3 in a row? In what? There has been no county U21 for 4 or 5 years?

Unless you mean the Mid Cork thing, which last I checked has 3 teams in it? If that's the bar for stepping up to Inter county then forget it!

Who was coaching this Cork Minor team anyway seeing as how you seem to have in depth knowledge of it and what is the record of that coach at club level? What is the highest level they have coached at?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Open Streets: Boolaboom Busking
Cornmarket Centre, Cornmarket St.

19th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼