Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Once again, I'm delighted to have called it wrong. I was afraid Cork might be caught on a very hot afternoon by the eight day turn-around, and I felt Tipp had done fairly well in Walsh Park and were coming into form. I was particularly worried that one or more of Morris, Forde or O'Connor would catch fire, and it seemed to me that Cork were short of a tight marker for Noel McGrath, who had done such damage against us last year - I had been hoping Millerick would have started on him.

Obviously that's not how it turned out, at all. While Tipp collapsed ignominiously, Cork did so many things right that they were a joy. They played v direct hurling at great speed, but while they moved quickly with the ball in hand, they were more inclined to leave it in fast, and the off-the-ball movement was excellent. Hoggy was out first to every ball, while Barrett has been Cork's best player this championship, always stretching the defence with his runs. And there is also the luxury of hitting high balls to a target man, so that Cork aren't limited to just running around teams.

That said, I'd still be a little worried by the first half. When the game was still a going concern, Tipp caused plenty of problems. They had a goal, should imo have had a penalty (and a black card), and scored several points directly from medium- or long-range puck-outs which were often won uncontested. That kind of looseness would have been more severely punished by a better team.

I wouldn't read a whole heap into the second half, since Tipp's resistance was feeble. So while Meade was v effective, it was in the kind of match he always thrives in, where he can showcase his undoubted strengths in terms of covering ground, picking up passes or loose ball and moving the ball on smartly. I don't think that puts him anywhere starting, tbh. Likewise, O'Mahony looked better in the second half after some shaky moments earlier, and it's the latter I'd be more concerned about. *If* Cork get through, I would try Joyce at 5, to get some game time into him and to see how he goes there alongside Downey.

I would leave Rob Downey exactly where he is. True, he is slow on the turn, but I think Coleman in particular is very good at sweeping back to cover him, and Downey has been generally good at holding his position and not allowing space to open for runners to attack the FB line (bar, TBF, Tipp's goal).

I always thought Coleman's best position was 7, and after some tentative performances in earlier matches he was outstanding on Sunday. Wing-back for me is about a lot more than marking a direct opponent - in terms of attacking the ball, using it, and covering other defenders Coleman is excellent.

Yeah I remember that and it was fairly pathetic from both of them, albeit it makes great telly and both of them know it and are savvy media operators.

Cusack provides endless motivation for Kilkenny and always has. Ill always be a fan because of his achievements and because of his bravery in coming out publicly at a time when there was a tide of homophobic abuse levelled at him but I think he could show a bit more restraint, respect and diplomacy at times.

If Cork qualify and get to a QF or beyond his 'We Are Cork's style bleating is psychological manna from heaven for the opposition. Particularly if we cross Kilkenny.
Respect & Restraint - Cusack dosn't know the meaning of those words. Its 100% attack, even Cork playing great against Tipp, his focus is on " has the fight gone out of Tipp".

You are 100% right. He give our opposition endless motivation. Compare this to JBM, class humble operator.

FIngers crossed Cork get through this weekend.

I agree clare were woeful for most of the second half. Harmless wides, forwards not winning ball, bar o'donnell

They were dreadful. Should never have been close.

How it hung on an umpires decision I will never know.

Tipp gave up in the second half against us. Youd imagine they cannot be as bad again.

Just most of Cork.
Will we all just relax - looking at Paddy Power - I have cork at 91.5% chance of going through on Sunday - in fact its almost twice as likely that tipp beat clare than a draw between Waterford and Limerick. It true what they say - we as humans dont understand probability - thats why we do the Lotto - Rebels abu - Long summer ahead!

One small area of concern is the last 4 throw ins (start of each half) have resulted in an opposition chance or score.

Downey (who has been brilliant otherwise) has been caught on his heels and lads have got in down the centre. I think it's definitely something the management will be tuned into now if we progress. It's not just Downey obviously, it's a team issue.

You can't keep giving up scores/ chances directly from the throw in.

Last edited:
Will we all just relax - looking at Paddy Power - I have cork at 91.5% chance of going through on Sunday - in fact its almost twice as likely that tipp beat clare than a draw between Waterford and Limerick. It true what they say - we as humans dont understand probability - thats why we do the Lotto - Rebels abu - Long summer ahead!
I won around 100 quid by betting on the draw between Limerick and Cork in 2017.
I think a draw on Sunday is definitely a possibility. I don't think me winning the Lotto is a possibility.

Yeah I remember that and it was fairly pathetic from both of them, albeit it makes great telly and both of them know it and are savvy media operators.

Cusack provides endless motivation for Kilkenny and always has. Ill always be a fan because of his achievements and because of his bravery in coming out publicly at a time when there was a tide of homophobic abuse levelled at him but I think he could show a bit more restraint, respect and diplomacy at times.

If Cork qualify and get to a QF or beyond his 'We Are Cork's style bleating is psychological manna from heaven for the opposition. Particularly if we cross Kilkenny.
I don't buy this psychological motivation tbh.
Im not saying teams don't use it, I just don't believe it's the reason they win.
They win because they are the best team, they have a hunger and belief they can win and they have made a habit of winning. It comes from intrinsic motivations not external ones.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Bernard Casey (Local Gossip) and Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

14th Sep 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼