Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Of course it wasn't, never mind that old fart. It was a good save, defence were asleep and didn't react at all to his save.
The shot is under hit to the points the keeper could (and should?) have gathered it, but Collins has already committed himself to the dive and then it’s down how strong a contact he can get on the flick away, and he doesn’t get a particularly strong one. He could have done better but it is an awkward oul one. Quaid is unbelievable at getting power into those flicks off to the side and away from danger.

I recall he plucked a good one out of the air under pressure in the first half alright but I’m sorry I don’t think there’s another senior intercounty keeper would have conceded the goal he did today.
It gave Tipp a boost and that could have unnerved us. Thankfully we were back on parity after about 10mins but a shocking start
What about his distribution? It was excellent yesterday, as good as I’ve seen from him. He had a really good game overall. Goal was gammy, he could have done a bit better, but it was awkward

Hurling is getting better for spectators but Football is getting much worse. If this trend continues, people will only want to watch hurling.

There was some fantastic scores yesterday - Cork's goals were awesome, Harnedy's pass to Fitzy, Hoggies pass and possibly the best score was Tipps first goal. The pass for that was incredible - he saw the runner and played an inch perfect directly into his path. Amazing skill and vision

What a difference a week makes. We were all totally devastated at the prospect of not getting out of Munster again, failing to take advantage of the young talent emerging and rueing mediocre performances for the first two games. Now, after two stellar performances, the buzz is back and optimism is restored.

I was critical of the management team, both for selection and tactics, especially after Waterford but also after Clare. So, its only right now, to say they've gotten it spot on two games in a row. The selections have been vindicated (with one possible/probable exception) and the change in tactics and teamwork have been hugely incremental.

GK still worries me. Niall O'Leary has quietly had a few good games back to back but yesterday he was superb from start to finish. E Downey is growing by the game. His big brother was immense again at 6 and should stay there for me. I never thought I would suggest keeping Joyce out of #6 but Downey has earned the jersey now and should keep it. Coleman is getting his fitness and game sharpness back now which is wonderful to see.

Fitzy was flying again and what a player he is in full flow. Along with Fitzgerald from Clare he is surely in the top 2-3 midfielders in Ireland now? (what a Railway Cup pairing they would have made back in the day). Ethan was good. Took a nasty looking blow. Unlike some I didn't think there was much in it. Seemed more of a collision than anything else. Meade was superb when he came on. I was shouting for Tommy to be brought in instead but Luke played his best game in a long while.

This half foward line is the best we've had in ages. They all have different strenghts too. But a special word for Barrett - he is absolutely flying. Fair play to him becasue he wouldn't have been an automatic choice for many just a few weeks ago. Bravo kid.

FF line. What can you say. I think this was Hoggie's best game from play since 2018. Hayes brings a lot and will worry many a good defender. And then there's Connolly. It does make you wonder about last year and what might have been but its wonderful to have him in full fitness and confidence now. If Robbie could get back to 100% we'd have immense options.

Kingston was great, simply great, when introduced. It didn't go as well fo the other 3 though it was good management to get them game time. Mellerick is a fine defender too and almost never lets you down. Just rock solid.

Well done to Pat Ryan and his team. They had the team ready to go after last week's heroics. It was nip and tuck up to half time but that second half performance was incredible. Tipp were a pity. And I've no joy in saying that. A proud county humiliated on their home patch like that. They will be back but that must hurt.

Fingers crossed now. I just hope and pray we see this team in the space of Croke Park - it could be special.

(PS - thank Christ that umpire in Ennis had the cohones to put his arm in the air or we'd have been toast. Margins are wafer thin.)

Last edited:
Fellas going to matches just to spot the female talent, I hope they dont deprive genuine hurling fans of tickets come the final in July,
The A-I final is the worst game of the year for discussing hurling with people. Lots at people are there for the occasion and wouldn't have a great knowledge of hurling.
I love the games like in Thurles yesterday where you can have a good chat with knowledgeable fans from other counties and get their perspective on Cork & themselves.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Cork's Primetime Comedy Show
The Roundy, Castle St.

21st Sep 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Alcione - The Queen of Samba

Cork Opera House, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼