Cork Hurlers - Part 2

congrats lads!! Some game of Hurling and ye were the better team and deserved the win.

I thought we had a chance to close it out when going 4 ahead with 8-9 mins to go but fair play to Cork who took the game to us and finished much stronger.

Finn was a big loss and the performance of young o connor shows that we don't have the depth on the bench some say we have.

Byrnes had an awful game and Hannon's legs were gone with 10 to go but no sign of COlin Coughlan until the very end. That says a lot about how good Kiely thinks he is.

Never seen Cian Lynch as quiet and our half forward line very well beaten.

Hegarty is frustrating to watch. Scores two lovey points and sets up a goal in a 15 min spell but then looks disinterested and lazy for most of the game.

This could be a wake up call for a few of these players but with Mike and Peter Casey injured and O donovan not fit yet and Finn possibly injured too Kiely has to stick with the same players as last night

Id fancy us to Beat Waterford but wouldn't write off Davy coming up with a plan to disrupt us yet

Congrats again lads. Enjoy it and best of luck against Tipp.

Here we go. My observations on all. Incredible character from them last night. 3 games in and we have seen the best and worst of ourselves. When ya see Limericks big guns called ashore you’d nearly be doing a double take.

I said we would need a miracle and it’s what we got. Everyone at least an 8 out of 10 and that’s a miracle in itself based on our last decade.

PC: His best game in a Cork jersey. Not his fault for the 2 short ones at all. You need to mix it up. And having watched it back, SODs distribution was really good outside the 2 mishaps, he dropped a good few balls over the Lim HB line. On the second goal, looks like PK was looking for the 1-2.

NOL: Had a very solid game. Have always had time for him. He’s a safe pair of hands and is well worth his place. There’s always been a cut of a Denis Irwin about him. He’s dependable.

ED: Very unlucky and we missed him when he went off. Great to see the ruthelssness out of management though. (I wonder will this be in his mind going forward. Get a yellow and I’m being whipped off. Could curtail his aggression and assurance. Time will tell)

SOD: He was given a brief and executed to perfection. Incredible job on Gillane. Of the 2 goals it’s the first one I would have more of a problem with. You can’t play the ball into that space at that angle. His tenacity and energy were critical for us. Covered some ground for a corner back.

MC: A flair player. Would have been a dream on our 04/05 teams in the Newtown era. He got stuck in last night but his impact was minimal. Just not suited to what’s needed HB or MF and won’t be looked at as a forward. He’s at a crossroads in his career.

RD: I’ve been calling for him CB and Joyce MF. Best performance from a Cork CB in the last 15 years. Outstanding. Incredible leadership.

TOM: Played very well. Has anyone ever seen him as disciplined? Jersey is his now. Held his patch well and didn’t get dragged out of position.

ET: What I love here is that we have ET, TOC and BR. Ethan owns that jersey based on form. Love that he can empty himself over 50-55 mins and be replaced for a similar player.

DF: Back to where we need him. Immense energy and unreal scores at times. Is benefiting from being partnered with Twomey.

DD: FUCK YOU KYLE HAYES. Doubthcha Deccie Boi!!!!

SB: We have been crying out for Fitzy at 11, but only to do what Barrett did last night. Best game in red yet. Some slight tweaking on the passing options and its the perfect modern day CF.

SH: Over the years there’s been many a day we lost by 4 or 5, that would have been. 9 or 10 without him. An incredible leader.

PH: I have often been critical of what he gives from play. With forwards like we had last night you can play Hoggy for 70 for the magic moments alone. There more in him in general play though. There has to be.

AC: Will have better days but worked like mad, scored at a crucial time too fighting for what looked like a lost cause.

BH: I’ve been very critical, but to be fair I just hadn’t seen it. And I am talking about both with club and county. He showed last night what I personally hadn’t seen before. Great fielding and his movement off the ball was a nightmare for that Lim FB line. We can talk about the catches all we want, but for me it was the composure to win that final ball. Fair play to the lad. I want this consistently now.

GM: Solid. Solid. Solid. For me he has to start next week.

DC: Battle hardened but looked like he struggled with the pace when he came in. Batted a ball when should have caught it and gave away a silly point at important time. I feel we should have better option, E Roche etc.

SK: If SOD is Denis Irwin, then Shane’s Ole Gunner Solksjaer.

BR: The measure of the guy is how
quickly he settled in. The ride had turned and he just got stuck right in and drove in.

And finally, fair play to management. No way an unhappy camp would have produced that performance.

(Can’t believe we haven’t heard about how it’s no coincidence that as we have Barrs/Blackrock/Glen FF line that we produce our best performance.

Let’s see what’s in them next week now.

In the wake of winning our first game in a while? Think we need to tone things down a tad lads.
I don't agree. That was an absolutely massive win , the players and management have to control their emotions but The supporters don't have to.

Clare have matched limerick 5 times over the last 3 seasons but we have never built alead v Limerick, got over turned , gone behind, hung on, recovered and nailed the win in the end.

This has never happened before to them.

Joyce for Coleman at wing back v tipp and i think ye will have 4 points

Incredible scenes in the pairc last night. First night that the new pairc felt like an uncomfortable hostile environment for our visitors. The noise down there, mother of God. Watched it back this morning, the coverage didn't convey just how loud the place was. What a rip roaring game. Possibly the greatest I've ever seen.

Whatever happens next week I think Pat Ryan has shown he has to stay on for next year. I was starting to have serious doubts over the last 3 weeks but a manager that has that kind of believe instilled in his team has the hard part done in my opinion. I'm still critical of the way he used the league and the the opening 25 minutes was appalling v Waterford but I was hugely impressed with last night.

I thought he showed real balls to have his team target Diarmuid Byrnes and Declan Hannon with puckouts. Hammer the hammer they say, by god did Ryan do that. Withdrawing Eoin Downey for getting a yellow after 20 minutes was ruthless. First time in 20 years I think we could use that word about our manager. We ditched the tippy tappy carry on for the most part and went route one, get the ball as fast as possible anyway at all into our full forward line and let the chaos unfold. I'm so pleased that Pat Ryan went back to the style of hurling that his successful U20s played. It suits us.

What pissed so many of us off in recent weeks is that we know the players are there but we weren't playing to our strengths. There was 26 on the panel last night, most of us here could probably name another 5 or 6 guys who we feel should be on the panel and we could put up solid arguments as to why they should. That's the strength we have. We just haven't harnessed it correctly yet ..... untill last night.

The ceiling for this team could be incredibly high if we get consistency. As good and all as last night was their is still room for a lot of improvement. The first 2 goals we conceded were comical, absolutely kamikaze stuff. Some of the goal chances were completely butchered again even if Quaid had an outstanding game. Ethan Twomey was excellent midfield but as yet doesn't have the stamina to last 70 minutes, ditto Deccy Dalton. These are all things we can work on to improve.

It was great to see the fight in Cork, Dalton needling Kyle Hayes was some battle. Byrnes and Hannon getting reddened (Byrnes was so gassed at the end he couldn't even get his hurly up to stop Kingston getting the ball over his head and then couldn't even drag him down, a foul there would have been a free, instead Kingston gets another 10 yards and we get a penalty) Brian Hayes and Alan Connolly had the Limerick full backline completely spooked. Pat Ryan shouldering Kinnerk was another great moment, showed a bloody mindedness that I hadn't seen in Cork in decades. Collins play acting to slow down Limerick was no harm either. We're finally learning.

I'd still be very nervous of Tipp next week. How do you get a team down from the high of last night to turn around and go again in 7 days time. Can we hit the heights of last night next Sunday.

Still though we're alive. Who'd have thought that at 6 o clock yesterday. Not me anyway

2024 Munster Senior Hurling Championship Table
Team Played Won Drawn Lost Score Difference Points
Limerick... 3 2 0 1 8-68 (92) 4-64 (76) +16 4
Waterford 2 1 1 0 5-46 (61) 2-52 (58) +3 3
Clare... ....... 2 1 0 1 4-44 (56) 6-39 (57) -1 2
Cork........... 3 1 0 2 7-77 (98) 8-77 (101) -3 2
Tipperary 2 0 1 1 1-45 (48) 5-48 (63) -15 1

a draw between tipp and Cork means they would need waterford to win both matchs i think for one of them to have a chance of knocking Clare or Limerick out
Tipp have to beat cork and Clare to go through, 3 points wont be enough for them because one defeat will be to a team that can reach 4 points with that win
I would be really disappointed if we were to lose to waterford in Ennis. Two home defeats and you deserve to go out
So maybe the table is limerick 4 plus 16 clare 4 plus say 3 Cork 4 minus 1 waterford 3 tipp 1 after the next round

that means if clare beat tipp the last day then only a draw between limerick and waterford knocks cork out
if we finish level with cork on 4 each we have the head to head

thats as far as i am going , its head meltingly fantastic.

I was hoping ye would lose as the whole thing would be simple then but here we are

Incredible scenes in the pairc last night. First night that the new pairc felt like an uncomfortable hostile environment for our visitors. The noise down there, mother of God. Watched it back this morning, the coverage didn't convey just how loud the place was. What a rip roaring game. Possibly the greatest I've ever seen.

Whatever happens next week I think Pat Ryan has shown he has to stay on for next year. I was starting to have serious doubts over the last 3 weeks but a manager that has that kind of believe instilled in his team has the hard part done in my opinion. I'm still critical of the way he used the league and the the opening 25 minutes was appalling v Waterford but I was hugely impressed with last night.

I thought he showed real balls to have his team target Diarmuid Byrnes and Declan Hannon with puckouts. Hammer the hammer they say, by god did Ryan do that. Withdrawing Eoin Downey for getting a yellow after 20 minutes was ruthless. First time in 20 years I think we could use that word about our manager. We ditched the tippy tappy carry on for the most part and went route one, get the ball as fast as possible anyway at all into our full forward line and let the chaos unfold. I'm so pleased that Pat Ryan went back to the style of hurling that his successful U20s played. It suits us.

What pissed so many of us off in recent weeks is that we know the players are there but we weren't playing to our strengths. There was 26 on the panel last night, most of us here could probably name another 5 or 6 guys who we feel should be on the panel and we could put up solid arguments as to why they should. That's the strength we have. We just haven't harnessed it correctly yet ..... untill last night.

The ceiling for this team could be incredibly high if we get consistency. As good and all as last night was their is still room for a lot of improvement. The first 2 goals we conceded were comical, absolutely kamikaze stuff. Some of the goal chances were completely butchered again even if Quaid had an outstanding game. Ethan Twomey was excellent midfield but as yet doesn't have the stamina to last 70 minutes, ditto Deccy Dalton. These are all things we can work on to improve.

It was great to see the fight in Cork, Dalton needling Kyle Hayes was some battle. Byrnes and Hannon getting reddened (Byrnes was so gassed at the end he couldn't even get his hurly up to stop Kingston getting the ball over his head and then couldn't even drag him down, a foul there would have been a free, instead Kingston gets another 10 yards and we get a penalty) Brian Hayes and Alan Connolly had the Limerick full backline completely spooked. Pat Ryan shouldering Kinnerk was another great moment, showed a bloody mindedness that I hadn't seen in Cork in decades. Collins play acting to slow down Limerick was no harm either. We're finally learning.

I'd still be very nervous of Tipp next week. How do you get a team down from the high of last night to turn around and go again in 7 days time. Can we hit the heights of last night next Sunday.

Still though we're alive. Who'd have thought that at 6 o clock yesterday. Not me anyway
Great post. Re the bit in bold I don’t think it will be hard, playing Tipp innThurles in Munster Championship is always special, but the players have given themselves a lifeline last night, nothing more nothing less, they will know the job has to be finished next sunday. They will be bulling to get back training on Tuesday

On Sundays game I think we have the fowards to really trouble Tipp, I can see plenty of goals again. It will be close but I think the boost in confidence last night will give everyone cannot be underestimated

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Sabrina Dinan
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

2nd Nov 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Storytelling

Franciscan Well Brew Pub, Tomorrow @ 8:30pm

More events ▼