Cork Hurlers - Part 2

I wouldn't dream of taking Joyce out of centre backs lads. The decade we had of teams running down our center is seared into my brain and just in case I was in any danger of forgetting it we got a timely reminder in the Kilkenny game of what happens when Joyce is missing.

I think there's serious competition in the full backline for places. There's no definite starter there anymore.

For the Offaly game I'd start with

Collins

E Roche
D Cahalane
E Downey

G Millerick
C Joyce
R Downey

T O Connell
M Coleman

T O Mahoney
D Fitzgibbon (Ryan said yesterday he's available)
S Twomey

J O Connor
A Connelly
S Barrett
There’s a nice balance to that team Vlad

My updated championship team would be as follows:
BS
GM DC SOD
RD CJ ED
MC TOC TOM
ST DF DD
AC ROF
Subs (in order): SK, JOC, ET, BC, BH.
Reason for changes:
Eoin Downey for Conor O'Callaghan, Ger Millerick is better in the corner and Eoin would be a better wing back than COC.
That’s a piss take surely?

Why are people moving Ger Millerick into the corner? My understanding is that he is an excellent man-marking half back but I just haven't seen him excel as a corner back. It seems he doesn't have the sharp, explosive pace over short distances for it. He was put there against Tipperary in the ch'ship and struggled as far as I know. Has anybody got any counter-examples of him doing well in the corner?

Anyone who is suggesting moving Joyce out of 6 and even considering the notion of Mark Coleman back at 6 needs to review some match videos from the last few years!!!
If we are talking anyone from defence into midfield or half forward it’s surely Mark Coleman and or Tim O Mahony

I'm actually okay with four lines of the field. There might be uncertainty over who starts but there are enough options that the players in the best form should be capable. The only line where I am concerned is midfield. What are the options to fix being cleaned out in most of last year's games? As far as I can see we are very much banking on Tommy O'Connell to be a force in that area unless Brian Roche hits serious form or we suddenly try out Tim O'Mahony. Sure, you could have Meade, Fittzgibbon or Coleman but they are not a player to dominate a particular area and would still need an enforcer type alongside them.

There’s a nice balance to that team Vlad
Ya, I think there is. Now if it was championship I'd still be starting Sean O Donaghue and leaving Roche and Downey fight it out for the other corner back slot.

I'd definitely start a fully fit Declan Dalton and would probably have him on frees. I'd have one of Hoggie or Harnedy starting as well.

Couple of positives from yesterday. Hayes played well, JOC played very well. Pitch time for Harnedy and Connolly. Oh and not to forget winning and getting the points.

The game itself was awful, like a practice game. Again, important to remember its a league game in February, but I'm not sure the pick of both teams would have beaten Limerick Saturday night.
2 poor teams. Limerick will eat us alive come Munster championship. To nearly throw away such a big lead against worst Waterford team in 40 years does not bode well.

Ya, I think there is. Now if it was championship I'd still be starting Sean O Donaghue and leaving Roche and Downey fight it out for the other corner back slot.
Sean will start championship and I think Eoin Downey will too, for me the battle is for the no 3 jersey, Eoin Roche was doing really well and will push Damien hard
I'd definitely start a fully fit Declan Dalton and would probably have him on frees. I'd have one of Hoggie or Harnedy starting as well.
I love Dalton and have been his biggest supporter on here for the last 6 years, but I think we need to start looking at a starting foward line and a finishing foward line in mind, especially on the wings so a half each for Sean/Tim/Deccie and Seamus would be ideal, possibly the same inside for Hoggy and Connolly and Barrettt and one from Hayes/ O Connor/ Lehane or Kingston

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Live Forever - The Definitive Oasis Tribute
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

22nd Dec 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Cork/Brittany maritime Residency Exhibition

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 1pm

More events ▼