Cork Hurlers - Part 2

I think management are trying to manage the squad as well as possible. It is hard to expect players to keep turning up night after night without ever getting on the pitch to show what they can do.
This has to happen while at the same time working towards your championship team.
It is great to see Cahalane, Coleman, Harnedy making the team and of course to see Alan Connolly ready for the bench.

Cathal McCarthy, Ethan Twomey and Brion Saunderson starting are interesting and worthwhile as well.

I am a bit surprised that Lehane and Horgan are both starting again and not sure what is to be gained from it.
I do think though that Lehane is very much in their thoughts as a championship starter and I hope they are right because I don't see it.

Looking forward to a big performance from Barrett.

William Buckley got man match in minor and U20 all Irelands . Scoring serious amount from play this year and can’t get on the panel. These guys best their age but can’t get a run. Same old players who will bottle it come June.
did you not think he struggled physically to cope in the fitz match v UL for a finish

I think management are trying to manage the squad as well as possible. It is hard to expect players to keep turning up night after night without ever getting on the pitch to show what they can do.
This has to happen while at the same time working towards your championship team.
It is great to see Cahalane, Coleman, Harnedy making the team and of course to see Alan Connolly ready for the bench.

Cathal McCarthy, Ethan Twomey and Brion Saunderson starting are interesting and worthwhile as well.

I am a bit surprised that Lehane and Horgan are both starting again and not sure what is to be gained from it.
I do think though that Lehane is very much in their thoughts as a championship starter and I hope they are right because I don't see it.

Looking forward to a big performance from Barrett.
Cathal McCarthy is an attacking corner back who can score points who I believe confuses the management. Cork need better defenders in defence. Players who attack and score from corner-back such as Barry Nash and Mikey Butler can also defend well. I still think he's worth a go and he could prove better than Niall O'Leary long term especially if the other 5 are defensively up to standard. Can Cork afford 2 less defenders in McCarthy and Coleman among the 6? I doubt It!

With Dalton and Connolly not starting then Hoggie has to start as the team needs a reputable free taker.

If 2 out of Dalton, Harnedy, Twomey and O'Mahony start in the half-forward line come championship Conor Lehane is a viable option as a different type half-forward with more pace than any of the other 4 so I understand why he's involved plus that he had a good game last day out v Kilkenny. Playing any 3 of the 4 would be the biggest half-forward line Cork have played in quite a while but would lack a player with real pace. Lehane is an option at centre-forward but so is Tommy O'Connell and then Darragh Fitzgibbon but I belive the latter may not bring the same goal threat.

Last edited:
Mixed feelings about that line-up. I'd have rathered Roche and Downey had been retained in the FB line, or failing that O'Callaghan been given a go in the corner, as I fancy him to be a stickier marker than MacCarthy. V odd to see S. Twomey not in the 26 at all, given he was at last showing what he was capable of. Management look like they are taking Lehane v seriously as an option at 11. TBF, it's a position where there are not a lot of outstanding scoring alternatives - maybe Fitz, but he isn't available. I can see the logic of trying O'Connor to add pace to the FF line, since O'Flynn is injured and Kingston is badly out of form. If he doesn't click I really think they should bring Cotter on.

Positives: Millerick and Coleman both made decent impacts against KK, good to see them each retained, and wing-back is where I think Coleman fits in best. While I hope there is a definite choice of keeper for the championship and I expect it to be Collins, Saunderson needs at least some games. E. Twomey is worth a look, it hasn't really happened for him at this level yet but he has had limited opportunities and has different strengths to some of the other midfield options. Hayes also needs to really grab a game, he was peripheral against Clare and has yet to consistently trouble any defence. Lastly, great to see Connolly back.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jackie Fabulous (Americas Got Talent) Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

4th Oct 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Bellyman

The Pav, Today @ 12am

More events ▼