Cork Hurlers - Part 2

I was reasonably happy coming away last night. There was a marked improvement once the team started to get closer to what might start in championship. I'm still concerned that the younger lads are slow to step up to the standard, but maybe I'm being too impatient. Players beings played out of position is what the league is for.

Cahalane, Joyce, Coleman and Fitz are four central players that you'd expect to start in championship and didn't start last night. Dalton and Connolly are serious contenders too. After last night, so is Twomey. To me, right now, it looks like we could be ambling towards:

Collins, Millerick, Cahalane, Donoghue, Coleman, Joyce, Mahoney, O'Connell, Fitzgibbon, Dalton, Harnedy, Twomey, Hoggy, Connolly, Flynn.

Connolly, Harnedy, Dalton and Twomey obviously haven't yet done enough to start, but over the next few weeks I hope they will. If we can get all of these guys clicking, they'll be a very formidable outfit. And considering how few of them have played together yet this year, I don't think we need be too despondent.
Good half back line,

What's the purpose of that after 25 minutes? Let the players work their way out of a hole and see who stands up and makes things happen. At least we learned last night as to who stood up and who didn't.
I think these days are gone personally. Pat Ryan needs to be ruthless.
Even this forum, some players are slated for their performances (which is wrong) while other people have no problem giving other players excuses. Double standards.
There has to be at least a positional change before pulling trigger at halftime, if a back is getting rinsed their head is going to keep going down and they're gonna get frustrated which can lead to silly tackles and risk of yellow/red card.
Niall O Leary is not a centre back and should have been switched back to the corner after 20 mins, we were too exposed in the middle.
Once Coleman came on you could see the structure he offered by holding the centre, sweeping where need etc and his only fault really was his shot selection

I think these days are gone personally. Pat Ryan needs to be ruthless.
Even this forum, some players are slated for their performances (which is wrong) while other people have no problem giving other players excuses. Double standards.
There has to be at least a positional change before pulling trigger at halftime, if a back is getting rinsed their head is going to keep going down and they're gonna get frustrated which can lead to silly tackles and risk of yellow/red card.
Niall O Leary is nota centre back and should have been switched back to the corner after 20 mins we we're too exposed.
Once Coleman came on you could see the structure he offered by holding the centre, sweeping where need etc and his only fault really was his shot selection
It's a big annoyance of mine at all levels to be honest, especially at IC level. You've normally top class forwards playing inside and fellas going for hail mary attempts from out the field. Give the forwards the ball more often imo. (Not just Cork)

It's a big annoyance of mine at all levels to be honest, especially at IC level. You've normally top class forwards playing inside and fellas going for hail mary attempts from out the field. Give the forwards the ball more often imo. (Not just Cork)
He's an accurate shooter when he gets going to be fair to him, many a time his points from distance get the fans and then the forwards going. He didn't have much options inside for one of the shots from memory and had to space to strike, I'd never fault a player for a shot on goal if he has space and no option inside.

He's an accurate shooter when he gets going to be fair to him, many a time his points from distance get the fans and then the forwards going. He didn't have much options inside for one of the shots from memory and had to space to strike, I'd never fault a player for a shot on goal if he has space and no option inside.
We talking about Coleman?
If so spot on, his 2 efforts from distance just dropped short but he was right on target.
We need players who can do that, absolutely need that option, gives a fierce lift to the crowd when they go over.
Limerick have that in their locker, so do Clare & Tipp.

Apples and oranges. Clare is a much smaller county than Cork. Supporters have shorter distances to travel.
Interesting,
so you are of the opinion that a difficult journey to pairc Ui Caoimh is a valid reason not to go there for cork supporters.
Dont forget people in cork are approaching the ground from multiple directions many of them on Motorways and also have public transport options

Have you mentioned this to anyone down there?
Many folks seem to believe that it shouldnt be an issue for Clare fans who are all driving down one single lane road through Charleville, Buttevant and Mallow.

Fancy that :)

Interesting,
so you are of the opinion that a difficult journey to pairc Ui Caoimh is a valid reason not to go there for cork supporters.
Dont forget people in cork are approaching the ground from multiple directions many of them on Motorways and also have public transport options

Have you mentioned this to anyone down there?
Many folks seem to believe that it shouldnt be an issue for Clare fans who are all driving down one single lane road through Charleville, Buttevant and Mallow.

Fancy that
Not at all. Saturday night matches are not conducive to public transport. As I posted on Saturday I drove down from Fermoy and got home 1 hour after leaving the stadium.

16k is a fine crowd for a county that hasn’t won an All Ireland in 19 years. No spin can change that fact. No other county bar Dublin gets anywhere near the attendances in the league that the Cork hurlers get.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Denis Murphy Concert
An Spailpín Fánach, 28 South Main St., Cork

3rd Oct 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..

Autumn Fest On Douglas Street

Coughlan's, Today @ 12pm

More events ▼