Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Re Sean Twomey, I would say that his league performance against Galway was not as impressive as some other posters thought - he scored two goals but iirc didn't win much possession. He was also a bit unlucky that UL's run in the Fitzgibbon and his subsequent injury meant he didn't feature in any other league matches. So I agree that to a large extent he is an unknown quantity at senior intercounty level.

That said, he was consistently picked on the 26, presumably as a half-forward option - and what he would bring to that line would primarily be a physical presence, hard work and hopefully a puck-out option. Given that, and given that Cork struggled for long periods in the last three matches in the half-forwards in all of these respects, I find it very odd that he was never tried. Of course it would be a gamble throwing him in, but apart from O'Mahony against Tipp and Clare Cork had no other player on the bench who would potentially be as good in those specific respects.
Well said although I’d disagree with you on his Galway performance. I thought he done particularly well at wing foward as did Declan Dalton on the other wing and they allowed Conor Lehane the freedom to do damage from center foward that day. A balanced foward line is very important

Fuck me lads , keep going with the Bespoke Cork Forward for each particular type of match whether free flowing egg and spoon or a Limerick ruck. Sorry not buying the bullshit. We are basically making excuses for fellas who have not performed , do not perform on the big day. But listen we are Cork and Snobbery never dies.

It’s seems to be forgotten ( mainly outside the county ) that we got very little from 6 key experienced players - zero from MColeman and AConnelly and less than 50% from RFlynn SDonoghue TOM and DFitzgibbon. Imagine with these guys fit, another year ( at least ) from Hoggie Damian and Shamie, another year ‘growth’ from this year’s new cohort plus introduction of the 2 Bens ( we live in hope ) EDowney + + from this year’s U20 crop. Jez we’ll take some shifting over the next 5 years

Take your point but don’t forget Waterford last weekend were missing one of their key men from every line of the field - injuries a reality for everyone. Against Wexford, KK lost 2 before throw in and three in the first half

Take your point but don’t forget Waterford last weekend were missing one of their key men from every line of the field - injuries a reality for everyone. Against Wexford, KK lost 2 before throw in and three in the first half
Correct. We can't use injuries as an excuse. A bit like blaming the ref. Get on with it. It gives chances to other /younger players

Cahalane is getting a lot of praise for his performance last Sunday. Not at all convinced by the quality in our full backline

Easy to forget Swamus Flanagan took him for
1-3

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Pierce Turner
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

17th Oct 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..
More events ▼