Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Who was the S&C with the u20s when they won the AIs? Would it not make more sense to move them on to the seniors and keep the progress these fellas have been on and planning for their future

The only glaring advantage Limerick have is in talent and brains on the sideline. Sorry I ll add aggression to that. They are a very driven and aggressive side. And they do in general channel it correctly. I could watch Will O Donoghue all day long. He's a wall of a man and he's the one who gives the good pass ,the right one. Never loses his cool.
The Mark Keane conundrum. Its not even a conundrum. If he's on the panel he should have got many more games in the league. Even if his lack of hurling was/is an issue its on management to improve it after going after the kid.
Strength and Conditioning. There's questions to be asked there for sure. Definately Limerick have naturally bigger men and bigger frames to put condition on. It ll always be hard to put size on a Hoggie ,Fitzgibbon ect but Coleman could be stronger..and O Mahoney is still light. Connolly has put on some size. But you can't make a man aggressive ,it's in the likes of Hegarty. We've no mean fellas.
Kingston and the Rock. They've failed badly but they can't be sacked mid season. It would be wrong. They do need to be told that a different direction needs to be sought immediately. Play Connolly and 3 inside from now on. And let some ball in fast...if your passing backwards in your fullback line the move is over before it's even started. The momentum is checked.
The season is still there. There's no All Ireland but for the development of Joyce and Barratt they need to win a few games. And poor auld Millerick...being asked to do a job he's not suited to . God almighty put him in the fullback line. And if I was Downey I'd be sickened. He never gives up and then he's dropped...shocking
Will O Donoghue, Kyle Hayes, Gearoid Hegarty, Declan Hannon, Diarmuid Byrnes, these guys are man mountains but all can hurl and work their socks off and nearly always play the right ball

Our tall men, Downey, Tim are only half the size of the guys I named above, Fitzy and Mark are only half the bulk of Cian Lynch or Aaron Gillane

After head hunting Mark Keane I’m bamboozled as to why they didn’t do the same for Brian Hayes, his decision to go football was made a little easier by the hurlers apparent lack of keen interest in him. Now there’s a guy who would do a good job wing foward

I agree, play Connolly at 14 with 2 men working off him, Barrett and god knows who but a guy who is mobile, aggressive, works hard, can win his own ball and can score. Have we him? And yes I’m aware that means dropping Hoggy, he’s now a 20/30 minute impact sub as his legs are gone, that’s one of the many hard decisions the selectors will have to make

The big change has to be the style of play, move the ball fast into our foward line, that doesn’t mean just pump it in high, play fast diagonal balls in front of the inside 3 when possible but just get it in there fast and often and see what happens

And push up on opposition puckouts and ask our players to win their own battles instead of marking space. One man, one job

Please god Daire O Leary will be back at 3 the next day and play Millerick, Joyce, Downey half back, Tim or Mark go midfield or center foward and throw in the likes of Brian Roche and Mark Keane on the wings

Just do something different cause we are going nowhere as we are

Last edited:
Who was the S&C with the u20s when they won the AIs? Would it not make more sense to move them on to the seniors and keep the progress these fellas have been on and planning for their future

Casey who did work in that role with the minors and the u20s.

Erra when you have our fella doing it on a part time basis against a fulltime professional S&C coach theres going to a deficit in this area.

(Tbf he's only in the role six months so we may see an improvement by next year)

We are laden with debt so its not going to change anytime soon.

Pardon the pun ;)

Whether you buy it or not its a factor.

Mulcahy and Furlong are decent coaches. I dunno what Diarmuid O'Sullivans role is.
Stephen Casey is S&C coach and tbh we looked boys against men in the build of our players. Mikey Kiely had Limerick built like rugby centres before departing for Ulster.

You can discount the financials if you like but the availability of proper S&C, video analysis, sports psychology etc all gives an advantage.

Cork have a contract with Avenir for video analysis but Limerick have Seanie O'Donnell (previously worked with Cork in 13)specifically at it with them. He comes very highly rated.

These things count. They had their homework done, crowded the middle third and effectively shut down Corks running game.

No one is hurting as much as the players after this but I think we need to get real. Limerick showed again yesterday that theyve moved to a different level to us since 2018.

I don't see anyone getting within touching distance of them this year.
Cork have all of the same positions filled as Limerick. And are resourced the same. The only difference is the quality of personnel on and off the field.

Cork have all of the same positions filled as Limerick. And are resourced the same. The only difference is the quality of personnel on and off the field.

Ah come on. The dogs on the street know Limerick are bank rolled by JP McManus. It's not the single reason they are a great team, but it's one of several.

I'd worry about this more if Cork had lost by a few points but we were hopeless yesterday in places that are little to do with money.

Waterford did the same to us and they're not funded by an Oligarch.

Some good suggestions there - a forward unit of say Tim, Dalton and Robbie/Harnedy, Connolly, Keane and Hoggie/Jack offers a lot of what we’re missing now but work rate and movement has to be a given. We have the brawn we’re missing - we have some big men in key positions and we still have some deadly ball players/scorers. Instead of going short inside the 21 there is the option to go long or else a 50 yarder to Coleman/ Fitzy around midfield. Aside from the obvious attacking option it offers, it reduces the risk of coughing up scores at the back. Of course variation is key.

To me it’s a no brainier - am I missing something.

Waterford did the same to us and they're not funded by an Oligarch.
Good point about Waterford, money might be a part of it but the limerick players were working very hard yesterday, it’s the culture of the limerick camp I think that if you don’t play well and train we’ll, someone will be started instead of you immediately.

Would love to see a cork and limerick training session side by side to compare intensity.

The board need to be looked at as well, having one inter county team struggling is bad enough but having both off the pace is unforgivable. There is no culture of winning national titles at senior level at more in either code, we’re becoming like arsenal, the board will be happy once they keep getting decent crowds and win the odd Munster title but won’t put in enough resources to really push.

We also need to look at how our coaches are trained, we’re very good at developing underage talent but don’t seem to understand that the modern inter county game needs more than just skill, happening in both hurling and football.

Henry went to Galway and Darren Egan to Wexford, other counties don’t seem to want Cork coaches or managers, that should tell us something.

Management have a lot to answer for, Mark Coleman was an all star 5 years ago wing back, he didn't puck a ball yesterday or the league final and I wont be surprised if he's at 6 for the Clare match. Also I just think cork are short a few and lack leaders, with harnedy out yesterday that half forward line looked very weak. Lastly that limerick team is unreal, let's not forget that. Cork have nothing to lose And have to change for the next day or die wondering. Team for Clare;

Collins
O Leary o Donoghue mellerick
Downey Joyce Coleman
Fitz o mahony
Barrett harnedy lehane
Connolly Kingston O Connor

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Pierce Turner
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

17th Oct 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

DJ Mossy (Crystal Bar)