Cork city has gone to the dogs.

Ironically, before reading this thread I had only been thinking the other day about how well we, as a country, have done over the last 40 years or so.

In the 80s the major problems facing the country were unemployment, emigration, the National question, tax burden (remember the PAYE strikes?) and perilous national finances. The FSG out/ SoundMans of their day would have been moaning about these issues.

These problems have now largely been addressed. Now there are other priorities; the health system, housing, immigration etc. I have confidence that these too will be resolved in time.

Focusing attention on the current day problems is important though. It ensures that there is political capital to be made in addressing them. However, the people banging on about "failed state", "corrupt kip" etc have no sense of perspective or have forgotten our recent (enough) history. This loses them all credibility in my eyes.

We do have our problems. All countries do. When the current crises are resolved, others will take centre stage.

It may be unpopular, but I think we have largely been well served by various governments, political system, public service and Institutions in this country. That's not to say everything is perfect, but I think it should be acknowledged nonetheless.
I was with you until the last paragraph. Sorry, that's a bridge too far for me.

Nope.

They all want degrees and masters from University now so we end up importing skills. I know plenty of builders and contractors saying good money to apprentices and including a van.

They just cannot get the apprentices.

None of them want to be on a cold and wet building site at 07.00am.
It’s true and some of the ones that are doing a trade a worse than useless no interest in grafting and learning skills just mindless looking at phones at every opportunity and frankly couldn’t give a shit.

Years ago lads took a bit of pride in their work and put a lot of effort into getting fully qualified.

FAS when it was at its peak 20 years ago was a World class.

Nope.

They all want degrees and masters from University now so we end up importing skills. I know plenty of builders and contractors saying good money to apprentices and including a van.

They just cannot get the apprentices.

None of them want to be on a cold and wet building site at 07.00am.
You’d probably earn a lot more as a plumber or electrician than an academic.

Might not be the right thread but lately i have regularly seen a young woman early 30s at a guess
around lower oliver plunkett st, Poor girl is always talking away to herself, so sad to see,

Might not be the right thread but lately i have regularly seen a young woman early 30s at a guess
around lower oliver plunkett st, Poor girl is always talking away to herself, so sad to see,
I often wonder would it best for unfortunate chronic addicts and others with serious mental health issues if we had dedicated facilities to house them outside the city and away from those that exploit them. A lot of clearly can't take care of themselves. The current hostel arrangements are just not suitable.

I often wonder would it best for unfortunate chronic addicts and others with serious mental health issues if we had dedicated facilities to house them outside the city and away from those that exploit them. A lot of clearly can't take care of themselves. The current hostel arrangements are just not suitable.
Sorry, that money is needed for foreign aid.Let them on the street.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Bernard Casey (Local Gossip) and Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

14th Sep 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jimmy Carr - Laughs Funny

Cork Opera House, Today @ 7pm

More events ▼