Check your mirrors!!!

Right so I didn't want to post in the other thread as someone died and I didn't want to be pulling it off topic.

The majority of accidents I have seen involving a motorbike have been the result of drivers not checking their mirrors and/or not paying attention to the road.

I met a Guard once who was in a wheelchair due to a car driver pulling a U-turn in the road without checking their mirrors. He wasn't bitter in the slightest but spoke to as many people as possible about Road Safety and the importance of checking your mirrors.

You'd be surprised how often there's a patrol car behind someone with Blue lights and sirens and the driver is oblivious as they are blaring the radio/daydreaming/or simply not checking mirrors and paying attention. Once they do realise often they get such a fright they wrench the wheel into the ditch and nearly crash themselves.

Right so I didn't want to post in the other thread as someone died and I didn't want to be pulling it off topic.

The majority of accidents I have seen involving a motorbike have been the result of drivers not checking their mirrors and/or not paying attention to the road.

I met a Guard once who was in a wheelchair due to a car driver pulling a U-turn in the road without checking their mirrors. He wasn't bitter in the slightest but spoke to as many people as possible about Road Safety and the importance of checking your mirrors.

You'd be surprised how often there's a patrol car behind someone with Blue lights and sirens and the driver is oblivious as they are blaring the radio/daydreaming/or simply not checking mirrors and paying attention. Once they do realise often they get such a fright they wrench the wheel into the ditch and nearly crash themselves.
A bit of sense on the Proc for a change!

Agree that everyone should check their mirrors when turning, but shouldn't cyclists + motorcyclists refrain from overtaking cars that have indicated to turn in good time also?

well said.. I'd like to see a campaign similar to the UK.. noticed when I was over that they have yellow signs up all over the place now to 'Think Bike' or 'Think Bikers'.

Being a life long biker myself it was a pleasure to see that at last someone was doing something positive. I had a few scrapes and came of a few times (With a few broken bones in the mix) - only once (Due to mechanical failure) was it not the fault of some idiot in a car/van who wasn't paying attention. Every time I either got hit or came of cause I was trying to avoid some clown ..

Tis a thing the R.S.A. should do pro actively instead of replacing signs for no reason and just wasting money....

Agree that everyone should check their mirrors when turning, but shouldn't cyclists + motorcyclists refrain from overtaking cars that have indicated to turn in good time also?

Aren't bikers also meant to have their headlight on at all times when riding their bike? I've lost count of the number of times I've indicated to turn, checked my mirrors, and almost out of nowhere comes a bike with no headlight on - they're so difficult to see in the daytime.

Its very easy to take it for granted that once you get in to a car you then its only a matter of time before you arrive at your destination.

And every safe journey taken reinforces that.

Never take it for granted......ever.

Wouldnt ride a motor bike myself. Used to have a push bike and motorists behavior on the road would put you off driving anything that goes faster.

No motorist should overtake when someone is indicating to turn right. I have a pet peeve also about not exiting a junction if there's a car coming towards me indicating to turn in, until that car slows and actually turns.

As for the lights issue...all motorists should drive with their lights on, it's safe and it's not a hardship on anyone to do so.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Pierce Turner
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

17th Oct 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

James Ahern

Arty's Bar, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼