Carlos Alberto R.I.P.

Another legend of the game has passed away.

World-Cup-finals-Best-Pictures.jpg

The former Brazil captain Carlos Alberto has died, aged 72.

Alberto was the skipper of Brazil's 1970 World Cup winning side and netted the iconic fourth goal in the final against Italy.

The defender won 53 caps for his national team, scoring eight goals in the process as he established himself as a key player in what is considered one of the greatest international sides to ever play the game.

An outstanding reader of the game, Alberto also possessed the outstanding ball control and dribbling ability that was a trademark of the great Brazilian side which he captained.

He spent the majority of his club career at Santos, where he played alongside Pele, before moving on to Fluminese in 1974. He moved to their rivals Flamengo in 1977 and then went to NASL later that year, when he signed for the star-studded New York Cosmos.

When he hung up his boots in 1982 he was considered one of the greatest Brazilians to ever play the game.

Alberto then moved into management, where he took charge of a number of teams, including stints at Flamengo and Fluminese. His last post was as Azerbaijan manager in 2005.

that 4th goal v Italy 1970 is an iconic goal, but for me the 1982 brazil
team were mesmerising, but so naïve at the back, I cried that day in 82 when
Italy beat them,

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Red Hot Chilli Pipers
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

9th May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼