Buying cars across the 'border'

Has anyone here ventured up north to purchase a vehicle?
Looking into changing her car and there appears to be good value up there at the moment.
Can anyone shed some light on the best way to go about it? Or the do's and don'ts. Thanks.

Looking into changing her car and there appears to be good value up there at the moment.
Can anyone shed some light on the best way to go about it? Or the do's and don'ts. Thanks.

Brother did it and swore by it. Know a few blokes at work who went to Britain for their higher spec at cheaper price cars. In fairness the English tend to be very particular about their cars and mind them, and 20K miles of driving on English road network tends to be a lot easier on the car than 20K miles of driving in Ireland, either side of the border.

I think in the north they use a lot more salt when gritting the roads and there used to be the issue of undersides of cars up there deteriorating a lot quicker as a result but cars have come on leaps and bounds since them days.

The thing that's stopped me from buying in the north so far is I know a second hand car dealer down here who used "import" from the north and he's warned me off. Certainly would recommend that you'd only deal with a main dealer or a big business up there. Don't buy private or from a small second-hand car dealer. They've been known to bend the law.

"I'm looking for a 3 year old Ford Mondeo for a customer down here"
"I have one here, in the lot. Pristine. Top of the Range. I can do you a good price"
"Brilliant. What mileage is on it?"
"What mileage do you want on it?"

:-(

Check how much VRT will cost, There is an online calculator, but vital
you put in the exact model, if going to have a look it would be good idea to bring a mecanic with you,

Yep - Got a Focus in the North back in 2010, Going to get a 2017 Seat Leon this week from NI to replace the wifes Car.

All the necessary checks are done by the garage, No sure If I would deal with a private chap though, To many guys out to get ya these days.

Saves me about 4k+ and better spec and a car that has not been driven over shitty irish roads. Easy nuf to calculate the VRT using on line revenue set up so you know exacly what your getting into.

The are great to deal with in all fairness even if you have a problem afterwards.

Brexit will change this somewhat though so it is forcing me hand a bit earlier than I prefer.

I dealt with Autozone Coleraine and SERE in Lisburn.

They can also deliver the car right down to Cork for 100 slobs or so.

Cheers

G

Thanks lads.

Looking at a 15/16 Octavia estate and there's at least 2000 difference and a much better spec on offer.

How will brexit impact things going forward, I wonder.

Thanks lads.

Looking at a 15/16 Octavia estate and there's at least 2000 difference and a much better spec on offer.

How will brexit impact things going forward, I wonder.

I think the main brexit impact is likely to be the conversion rate between Euros and Pounds. The harder the brexit the less Euros required to make up the price in pounds I think

You'll save money.

The key thing is the way better spec and lower millage for less money.

I saved 50,000 miles on my last car.

And got top spec as well.

But take a mechanic with you. Look under the car, run a check for finance on it.

You'll save money.

The key thing is the way better spec and lower millage for less money.

I saved 50,000 miles on my last car.

And got top spec as well.

But take a mechanic with you. Look under the car, run a check for finance on it.

Is the salt-corrosion still a problem underneath even with more modern cars?

Just bought one in U.K. today, hopefully bringing it home this weekend, this is my 4th car that I imported. I went north for the first one 18 years ago (and I still have that car too!), but I think the travelling across the pond is a better bet. That’s what I’ve done the last 3 times. It doesn’t always work out cheaper, it really depends on what you are after. You definelty have more choice if your are looking for something more specific.
There’s some new rules ithat came in during 2017 that resulted in higher motor tax for cars that were £40,000 when new, they have this levy fo the first 5 years of the car’s life. That might result in some bargains for 2 year old premium spec cars that are less attractive to the local market.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Flook With Special Guest Patsy Reid
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

9th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Gilbert Steele

The Pav, Today @ 11pm

More events ▼