Budget 2023

Good post ,this has the mark of the greenies, pushing peeps towards timber framed houses. I amazed though that people believed the redress scheme would be paid for from general taxation. The timing clearly isn't good due to the lack of housing at the moment but what is it likely to stick on to the cost of an average house? 1000/1500 euros.

The cost of building your average house at the moment is somewhere around €250k, the material supply cost of the concrete element of that including the blockwork as well is probably 10k max so you would be looking at an uplift of €1,000

Note - this is serious finger in the air territory now! I'd guess the foundations and slab cost approx €3000-4000 for the material cost, and €5000-6000 for the bricks, lintels etc. The 1st floor in spec build is always timber joists anyway, or Posi joists in most recent ones

Lads, fellas, Matlock...? What's the best investment for €500? Should I be getting onto IBKR or taking out membership in political parties?

Should I be doing like the lottery says and setting some aside for loved ones and charities?

Engineers are a disaster as their built-in factor of safety is in the extreme (Cruise missile strike of a herd of elephants loading)

A lot of houses have underfloor heating which means concrete floors and they also store heat that can be released during the night as well as a better floor for sound between ground and first floor and less of a fire risk.

I do not know really but the whole method of construction for homes needs to be looked at as they could be modular and better insulated if prefabricated in factory conditions like in other countries, but we always seem to have to re-invent the wheel here.
Concrete is a great material and you can get serious pay back from using it as a heat sink holding and releasing heat as you say. This discussion needs to be about the whole life cost of using a material as opposed to the upfront cost only, because we use building materials completely indiscriminately and its time to make people think about this

Insulation is another interesting one they should look at in this way. The PIR insulation we use to insulate walls and floors is made with some of the most toxic shit imaginable and the process is seriously carbon hungry. But once its made the amount of heat leaving homes reduces dramatically. We have gone from the energy use in the lifetime of a home going from 20% to build and 80% in use over its lifetime to the exact opposite where we are spending 80% of the energy in the building process and using 20% afterwards. The likes of Kingspan have been shown for what they are at Grenfell yet it has had absolutely zero impact on the industry specifying and using their products.. I cant get my head around that! There are better products for the environment out there, we should be researching and using them

I think that increasing the lower tax band to €40k was a shrewd move politically. People on decent €40k+ salaries would get fuck all from a Sinn Fein government, and I suspect that a large proportion of people on salaries like that are active voters.

It works out as an extra €800 a year, which is nice but like it's not people on over €40k who are feeling the pinch, so you'd wonder could it have been better spent elsewhere.

I'd say Pascal won back a few sceptics today who may have been drifting away from FFG. A gentle reminder that SF in government would be bad for us high net worth individuals.

People who get up early in the morning, to quote Leopold.

It works out as an extra €800 a year, which is nice but like it's not people on over €40k who are feeling the pinch, so you'd wonder could it have been better spent elsewhere.

Wat?

€40k might be good craic if you're young, fancy free and handing half of it to Benny... but if you have a mortgage, kids in school, car to run etc. you would be struggling fo sho

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Lyra
Live At The Marquee

16th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼