Billy Bragg

Would love to hear any reports of this?

Good show. He was in great form. Had two sidemen - one on keyboards at other on guitar/lap steel/mandolin who would fall in and out for a few songs. Played a nice smattering of songs from across his career. Did a really beautiful version of "I'll Be Your Shield". It was the only time that he put his guitar down and stood still.

Performed his debut album "Life's A Riot With Spy Vs. Spy" solo in full (but not in order) as his encore.

Plenty of funny stories and a few diatribes - kicking against the pricks, but it was never preachy just all positivity. Mentioned the protests outside the city library.

"I know who they really are. You know who they really are. And we all know what they really are. Fascists. And I never use that word flippantly."

A random punter standing next to me said - "It's loud innit?!" I had my earplugs in and the sound was crystal clear so the volume must have been up.

The 40-minute documentary about his career screened before it (instead of a support act) was an odd choice by Bragg and, upon reflection, a poor one. It was fine like but I'd prefer to watch it sitting on my couch with a cup of coffee at home.

Great to see Cork punters out on a Monday and selling out the gig. Glad that I was able to get tickets myself after missing the original on-sale date. (Thanks to El Guapo for being sound and getting in touch with a few spares).

The lad who went with me had never really listened to Billy Bragg before but came away singing his praises.

Great run of shows by Cyprus Avenue this month too - Therapy?/The Murder Capital/Bragg and Bob Mould next week.

Last edited:
Good show. He was in great form. Had two sidemen - one on keyboards at other on guitar/lap steel/mandolin who would fall in and out for a few songs. Played a nice smattering of songs from across his career. Did a really beautiful version of "I'll Be Your Shield". It was the only time that he put his guitar down and stood still.

Performed his debut album "Life's A Riot With Spy Vs. Spy" solo in full (but not in order) as his encore.

Plenty of funny stories and a few diatribes - kicking against the pricks, but it was never preachy just all positivity. Mentioned the protests outside the city library.

"I know who they really are. You know who they really are. And we all know what they really are. Fascists. And I never use that word flippantly."

A random punter standing next to me said - "It's loud innit?!" I had my earplugs in and the sound was crystal clear so the volume must have been up.

The 40-minute documentary about his career screened before it (instead of a support act) was an odd choice by Bragg and, upon reflection, a poor one. It was fine like but I'd prefer to watch it sitting on my couch with a cup of coffee at home.

Great to see Cork punters out on a Monday and selling out the gig. Glad that I was able to get tickets myself after missing the original on-sale date. (Thanks to El Guapo for being sound and getting in touch with a few spares).

The lad who went with me had never really listened to Billy Bragg before but came away singing his praises.

Great run of shows by Cyprus Avenue this month too - Therapy?/The Murder Capital/Bragg and Bob Mould next week.
Nice one, sounds deadly. Thanks. The film was an odd choice for a venue, but at least he played a nice long set. Annoyed to miss it, but will hopefully catch him (again) at a festival next summer.

Will get down for Bob Mould for sure!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Sunday & Bank Holiday Tours

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 2pm

More events ▼