Best cork hurler to never win an all ireland medal

The late Paddy Philpott of Blackrock played a stormer at LHB on the 56 team that were unlucky to go down to the great Wexford team. He was 21 at the time and looked like he would be a future leading star. Alas, he emigrated to the States in 57 and died there about 2 years ago.

The late Paddy Philpott of Blackrock played a stormer at LHB on the 56 team that were unlucky to go down to the great Wexford team. He was 21 at the time and looked like he would be a future leading star. Alas, he emigrated to the States in 57 and died there about 2 years ago.

Yeah - couple of Blackrock lads of my dad's generation reckon Cork would have won another 1 or 2 AIs if he stayed. Lost out to Waterford and Tipp in some very close battles after he left!! They (not necessarily unbiased mind you) feel he'd have tipped the balance in Cork's favour.

Micky Mullins,

:shock:

Cork's youngest ever has been - as Billy Morgan allegedly dubbed him.

Mullins had skill and bravery but his attitude was all wrong imho.

Never saw Jimmy Brohan play - though I met him a few times below in Blackrock. Lovely man. I was told he was a classy hurler but shouldn't have been a corner back because though JB would inevitably look classy and hurl some great ball his opponents invariably scored off him at intercounty level. DSTM

R and B will kill me for saying this,B Cunningham was the best around when not marked closely he would destroy teams but he did not like the rough stuff.

Dan Murphy was another who got a medal in 1999

Fine hurler and double under 21 captain

Couldn't shift Brian Corcoran from centre back

R and B will kill me for saying this,B Cunningham was the best around when not marked closely he would destroy teams but he did not like the rough stuff.

A little bit harsh but not altogether untrue, all he lacked for a long inter county career was that toughness

did Brian Cunningham play championship in 89 when Cork were poor, beaten by Waterford? the good team from the mid 80s was finished.
Like any sporting career you need the breaks, a good team around you and to avoid injuries. The window to establish yourself as an elite senior player is very short, maybe only two or three years from age 20 to 23. Of all the guys mentioned here only Egan and Setanta(at age of 20) won All Stars. I know there were no All stars before the 1970s but they are a good barometer of the last 50 years. Who knows what Setanta would have gone on to achieve, he could even still be playing!! Considering he only played one season it would be unfair to call him one of Cork´s best(he did play in a winning county senior final). Is there any player mentioned who was consistently one of the best in the county championship, say over a 10-12 year period, but never made it to the top table.

edit- I see Pat Horgan won an allstar in 1980 when he was only 23, another guy who was unlucky, I seem to remember him being very good for the glen for many years. Often seemed to be the best player when Cork had a bad year and on the bench when they were going well. John Fenton was like that for years before Midleton won the county in 83 and then he was rightly recognised as one of the best players in the country for the next few years.

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

13th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼