best all ireland XI

all ireland all time 11

probably done to death, but in the interest of fostering reasoned debate on the sports forum i'll put out.....

Jennings
Irwin Lawernson McGrath Stanaldo
Best Keane Giles Brady
Stapelton Aldridge

can you beat it. admittedly lacking in the norn ireland lot, but who else could you consider, greg,blanchflower,whiteside??

In my years of watching football properly (about 12, I'm 27), there hasn't been a single player play for Northern Ireland that could be considered top class in the English league. Considering we've got a little over double the population, its weird that we've had a good few in that time.

Coin said:
In my years of watching football properly (about 12, I'm 27), there hasn't been a single player play for Northern Ireland that could be considered top class in the English league. Considering we've got a little over double the population, its weird that we've had a good few in that time.

like who? most of them were English

Coin said:
In my years of watching football properly (about 12, I'm 27), there hasn't been a single player play for Northern Ireland that could be considered top class in the English league.

What are you on about man?

Gerry Taggert was quality for years!!!!!!!!!

That's crazy talk there.

-AmadeusDC-

Think Whiteside never really fulfilled his potential,albeit injury and a fondness of a few pints didn't help I suppose.Where could you find room for him in that team though?its hard to disagree with that team,i'll see what I can come up with over lunch

POL said:
like who? most of them were English
Top class in the sense of best at their position was not exactly the description I was going for. I mostly meant players that played regularly for upper tier sides:
Keane, Staunton, McGrath (born in England, grew up here), Irwin, Given, Bonner (yes, Scotland, but still a top class player), Duff. Thats 7 without going to deep.

Keith Gillespie is about the best I can think of for the North.

Coin said:
Top class in the sense of best at their position was not exactly the description I was going for. I mostly meant players that played regularly for upper tier sides:
Keane, Staunton, McGrath (born in England, grew up here), Irwin, Given, Bonner (yes, Scotland, but still a top class player), Duff. Thats 7 without going to deep.

Keith Gillespie is about the best I can think of for the North.

what about Ian Dowie?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Pierce Turner
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

17th Oct 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

Drawing To A Close: Make Your Mark!

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 11am

More events ▼