Bessborough, we need to dig it all up.

Smaug

Banned
Leave no stone unturned.

Pressure grows for Bessborough Mother and Baby Home excavations

BessboroughMotherAndBabyHomeExam020615_large.jpg

The Government has come under pressure to carry out excavations at the site of Bessborough Mother and Baby Home where hundreds of infants died.Calls have been made in the Dáil to carry out examinations at the Cork site in the wake of the revelations of mass burial chambers at the Tuam facility.

AAA-PBP TD Mick Barry said 470 infants and 10 women had died between 1934 and 1953 at Bessborough. He claimed the nuns took a “business decision” not to give each child a marked grave as it would make a bad impression on Americans visiting to adopt babies from the home.

He told the Dáil that of 180 babies born over one year, 100 died. “One in five of those who died in the 1934 to 1953 period died of marasmus, that is, severe malnutrition.”

Mr Barry gave graphic accounts of “a house of pain” where mothers in childbirth were “denied pain relief and women who suffered vaginal tearing in childbirth were refused stitching as punishment for their sins”.

During statements on the commission of inquiry into mother and baby homes he said he had been contacted by a survivor of the home who expressed his “strong opinion” that not all of the babies were buried in the “tiny” angels burial plot at Bessborough.

“He believed the decision not to give babies who were buried a gravestone or a white cross was a business one.

“Simply put, the Americans rolling up the driveway at the end of their journey from Shannon Airport would be less likely to buy their baby from the nuns if they were to look out of the car window and see a small forest of white crosses on the grounds of the home.”

Noting reports by Irish Examiner reporter Conall Ó Fátharta, Sinn Féin’s Donnacha Ó Laoghaire said the register recorded 273 deaths at Bessborough between 1939 and 1944. But he went on to say that the religious order reported 353 deaths to State inspectors during this period, which he said was a “significant disparity and raises some very worrying questions”.

“Did deaths happen which were unreported to the authorities or were false records created? If neither frightening possibility is the case, then what happened?” Mr Ó Laoghaire asked.

Labour’s Jan O’Sullivan said the percentage of children aged under four who died at Bessborough was “way higher” than average at the time. “The question must be asked as to why children died in these homes.

“One of the answers is they died because they were undernourished and they were not fed properly, yet their mothers were still put in these homes by the State, their families, and other institutions that were in a position of power and authority in our society,” she told the Dáil.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/irelan...-mother-and-baby-home-excavations-444863.html

This shit equates to the treatment of Jews by the Nazis. Will anything be done? I, for one, will not be holding my breath.

I hope to fuck something is done, it will be time consuming and painful but it needs to be done. All these religious orders need to be shutdown, monies and property taken off them and something like The Nuremberg trials should take place.

I would like to take on the role of Head Nun, Christian Brother and priest hunter, just like a Nazi hunter except dedicated to these subhumans.

A Witch hunt is whats needed here, nothing less will do.

Witchfinder+General+-+Trigon+-+1968.jpg

I heard recently that some Sister S---? that was involved in a lot of adoptions down there for many years is actually still involved in the process of people finding their birth mother. Sickening these people have any involvement.

I heard recently that some Sister S---? that was involved in a lot of adoptions down there for many years is actually still involved in the process of people finding their birth mother. Sickening these people have any involvement.

They had it all sown up, they have their fingers in many many pies.

Even after the week that's just gone down, the churches will still be full of sheep tomorrow, putting money in the collection boxes .

They had it all sown up, they have their fingers in many many pies.

Even after the week that's just gone down, the churches will still be full of sheep tomorrow, putting money in the collection boxes .

Whatever about the church i have a serious problem with these old bats being any way involved in an adoption process. It reminds me of the Gardai investigating themselves.

This nun will make decisions in her/bessboroughs best interests rather than the adopted person and she should not be allowed. People waiting a few years before getting any information on their past once they make contact is truly disgusting. Anyone involved in that process from yesteryear should have nothing to do with it now.

Whatever about the church i have a serious problem with these old bats being any way involved in an adoption process. It reminds me of the Gardai investigating themselves.

This nun will make decisions in her/bessboroughs best interests rather than the adopted person and she should not be allowed. People waiting a few years before getting any information on their past once they make contact is truly disgusting. Anyone involved in that process from yesteryear should have nothing to do with it now.

Absolutely, which brings me back to witch hunting.

I think these institutes and the churches of Ireland need to be taken down, block by block, dug up and all the sites should be turned into memorial gardens / parks, where people who were directly affected by the religious orders, can go and sit in peace . Make them green spaces , plant trees flower beds etc , give something back to the people, don't just sell them to wealthy American businessmen or other, to turn a profit on.

Visit any graveyard in the country and look for records of babies on the headstones. You will find very few before 30 years ago. As far as I am aware it was not the custom until very recently. Death rates at childbirth and in the first year were very much higher than now. Couples tended to have large families and just accepted the loss of a baby as being the will of God. Just ask your grandparents about what they know of deceased babies of their parents and grandparents. They didn't tend to speak of them.

This is not to excuse the cruel behaviour of some of those involved in the Children's Homes.

What is to be achieved now by disinterring and reburying the remains now just to make people feel better. Let them rest in peace. A garden of remembrance over the grave sites would be a much more appropriate way of honouring their memory.

The comparison of the Children's homes to the Nazi death camps is way over the top and is an insult to those who perished in the holocaust.

Visit any graveyard in the country and look for records of babies on the headstones. You will find very few before 30 years ago. As far as I am aware it was not the custom until very recently. Death rates at childbirth and in the first year were very much higher than now. Couples tended to have large families and just accepted the loss of a baby as being the will of God. Just ask your grandparents about what they know of deceased babies of their parents and grandparents. They didn't tend to speak of them.

This is not to excuse the cruel behaviour of some of those involved in the Children's Homes.

What is to be achieved now by disinterring and reburying the remains now just to make people feel better. Let them rest in peace. A garden of remembrance over the grave sites would be a much more appropriate way of honouring their memory.

The comparison of the Children's homes to the Nazi death camps is way over the top and is an insult to those who perished in the holocaust.

Abduction, incarceration, starvation, medical experimentation, neglect, destruction of records, slave labour....is that enough similarities to the death camps for you? The only difference is that the Nazis did it on an industrial scale ya goul.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The 2 Johnnies
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

30th May 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼