Bereavement Pay

Is this at the discretion of the company or it is it the law for 3 days pay if you are with a company more then 6 months .

If its an immediate family member, you are entitled to 3 days 'Force Majeure' leave in any 12 month period, maximum of 5 over 18 months.

Other than that its at the employers discretion.

Bereavement leave is discretionary but often detailed in your terms of employment or in company policy documnets/handbook or whatnot.

If you don't have this already defined then speak to your boss about this. Maybe check what others were granted as you should have a case to get the same.

No statutory right to leave on bereavement even for immediate family. Force majeure leave only applies to unexpected injury/illness of immediate family.

Practically all employers will allow day or two following death of immediate family member but if you want to attend funeral of Great Aunt Helga or Uncle Bob, you may have to take unpaid leave or lose a holiday.

Cheers guys , getting seriously dicked around and it was immediate family ..... very close to packing in the job over it .

Chances are it is some tit in human resources with an amoeba-brain!

No decent manager would be that stupid. Mind you do not be fooled - work do not care about you personally - public and private sector (having worked in both).

I would go to your gp and get him to write a sick note if you are still having trouble. In fact on principle i might do this and spend some time with your family.

I am sorry for your loss.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

9th May 2024 @ 4:00 pm
More info..

115 Jazz Jam Sessions

115 Caf And Wine Bar, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼