Before you vote

When I saw the topic title I assumed this was related to the IOTY upcoming vote.

Shouldn't this topic be discussed in the ICAF - Independent Current Affairs Forum?

*cough*
Sinn Fein double-speak was highlighted in March 2010, when Sinn Fein voted in the Assembly to cut government spending by £3bn over four years.

But, in his reply to the Republic's budget nine months later, Caoimhghin O Caolain, its then leader in the Dail, said: "We in Sinn Fein are quite clear: we have rejected the consensus on cuts."
advertisement

In Dublin, Sinn Fein has called for a €100,000 (£80,000) cap on public servants in the Republic. Yet, in Belfast, a recent recruiting advertisement seeking a CEO for the First Legislative Counsel in the Office of the First and deputy First Minister offers a salary of up to £205,000.

Here are some examples of Sinn Fein's forked-tongue approach, north and south:

Education

In the Republic, Sean Crowe, Sinn Fein's education spokesman, criticised the potential closure of rural schools in February. But, in Northern Ireland, Sinn Fein education minister John O'Dowd said a "sustainable schools policy could lead to the closure of 70 schools". Last November, he said: "I have decided to close the [two rural] schools in [Co Armagh], as I am confident the children's needs can be best met at alternative schools."

Household charges

In the Republic, Sinn Fein has repeatedly attacked the introduction of a €100 (£80) household charge. But, in Northern Ireland, Sinn Fein in government implements household taxes more than 10 times higher than the proposed household charge in the Republic.

Water charges

In the Republic, Sinn Fein has campaigned against water charges. But Sinn Fein MLA Mitchell McLaughlin has defended water charges here.

Welfare cuts

In the Republic, Sinn Fein has opposed all cuts in social welfare since the economic crisis began. Here, Sinn Fein has signed off on cuts that could total £600m.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/o...gue-approach-just-doesnt-cut-it-28749806.html

This could have been put out by a Labour politicio down here, just swap a few words around.
Sinn Féin has said it will have further discussions on a Northern Ireland budget paper circulated by the finance minister proposing cuts of up to £872m.

On Monday, Finance Minister Simon Hamilton said cuts of £700m would be a "conservative enough estimate" but the figure is now understood to be higher.

If next year's draft budget is not agreed by Friday, Stormont will lose out on a £100m loan from the Treasury.

Sinn Féin said the executive is facing "very difficult decisions".

A spokesman for the party said what he called "the Tory cuts to public services" were an "ideologically driven assault on the welfare state" and were at the heart of the financial crisis the Northern Ireland Executive is facing.

However, despite the reduced funding, the party would continue to work to reach an agreement on a budget "which defends core public services, particularly health and education".

The finance minister said he believed the education budget could no longer be protected from cuts.

The education ministry is held by Sinn Féin, but so far the party has given no indication it is prepared to accept the proposals contained in Mr Hamilton's paper.

Without agreement between Sinn Féin and the Democratic Unionist Party the budget could not be passed.

Northern Ireland Secretary Theresa Villiers has said the job of resolving budget questions would be taken from the Stormont parties, unless they agree a draft budget by the end of the month.

Ms Villiers said that while there was some flexibility in the process of consultation, it was crucial the parties stuck to the timetable.

"Unless they get on and agree a draft budget, ultimately when we get to April, we'll end up with civil servants making the allocations on budgets," she said.

"We'll end up with a situation where Northern Ireland's elected leaders have the power to resolve budget questions taken from them," she added.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-29803151

Shredded is a bit dramatic and I wouldn't 100% agree with all the cuts - but broadly speaking I support the idea of austerity as a solution to the country's financial woes. My only beef is that the hit hasn't been equally shared.

I've been fairly lucky too strict. My health is good though and I'm willing and ABLE ( that is the important word here, as lots are not)to work.

I've had to make a few cuts and am more sensible with spending now than I've ever been. Maybe that's just part of getting older and hopefully wiser.

I've never had to make a choice between heat and food for instance. I can still comfortably afford both.

But I do know people who have had to make such choices. People more than wiling to work and in some cases who are working in jobs far below what they're capable of just to be working.

There are a lot of people on this island who austerity has barely bothered and a lot who's lives it has made a living hell. To ignore that and with a shrug of the shoulders say "sure they have to do it" seems almost inhumane to me.

Here is a list of some of Fine Gael's?Labour achievements since getting into power:-

* Fuel Allowance Scheme CUT from 32 to 26 weeks

* Fuel Allowance CUT by 25%

* Rent Allowance CUT

* Clothing & Footwear Allowance CUT

* Disability Allowance entitlement age RAISED to 18

* Disability Allowance rates CUT for over 18's

* Carer's Allowance CUT

* Telephone Allowance AXED completely

* One Parent Family Benefit CUT for children over 7

* Child Benefit CUT by €10

* Illness benefit qualifying period RAISED to 6 days from 3

* Invalidity Pension CUT from €203.30 to €193.50

* Bereavement Grant AXED completely

* USC Charge Imposed

* VAT RAISED

* College Fees RAISED

* Unemployment benefit for under 25s CUT in half

* 80,000 people emigrating per year.

* Medical cards taken off the sick, elderly and terminally ill

* Insurance Levy imposed

But they did get about ¼ million people walking and getting fresh air in November and they hope to increase those numbers on December 10th

Sounds good, lets keep them in.

I've no doubt it has Honky. But income and standard of living are two different things .

They're related of course, but still not the same thing.

Your standard of living is defined by lots of things KD, and the govt cannot control all of that

I have been effected first hand by the cuts they made to the public sector under Croke Park and Haddington though, and I can tell you with 100% conviction that the unions and permanent/senior employees were the reasons that the likes of myself were hit, not the govt. because when it came down to it and budgets had to be cut everybody forgot about everyone else and protected themselves only.

So the permanent long term lecturers on excellent salaries and conditions and with their houses paid off refused to budge an inch and the unions agreed with them, leaving the part time staff with the worst conditions to take the full brunt leaving courses short staffed and anyone with less than 4 years service fired, the utter cunts

Same happened in health, same happened elsewhere

Blaming the govt for everything is shortsighted

^x1000

However, this is just an example of the country and the western world in general though since the global economic collapse. Essentially one generation (known as the "baby boomers" in the states) made off so good during the boom. They had small mortgages, secure jobs and great pensions and when the shit hit the fan it was a case of "well, I got mine so the rest of ye can fuck right off".

It's their generation that have their politicians in place to maintain that status quo so as a generation ourselves we have to assume some of the responsibility for our low voter turnout. This is not helped however by having elections on weekdays. Also, that most protests are held on weekdays does not help. The water protests were ane exception to the rule and had massive turnouts.

Those from our generation that do vote tend to have the foresight and memories of a deformed cabbage, wanting everything now with no thought for the future, as if there's an economic santa clause that can deliver goodies cost free.

The country has a huge divide that can't and won't be bridged. Those who have property need and want prices to go up. These people have the most influence and have driven the narrative that somehow rising house prices is a good thing. Essentially the housing market is being driven in the wrong direction because a minority of people are in negative equity.

The other side of that divide are those that need to buy as long term renting in Ireland is not an option. Most of these people don't stand a chance of building a half decent home and they are also the people that didn't spend/borrow above their means and as a reward they are the chumps that are being told they have to bail everyone else out for the mistakes they themselves avoided.

So next time ye think ex-pats are being bitter, think of the above.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Danny O Leary

Dwyers Of Cork, Today @ 9:30pm

More events ▼