Accommodation in Derry

Matlock

Thinking of heading to Derry next Summer. Looking for acc recommendations.

Not arsed about being in the city centre. We want to base ourselves somewhere in or near Derry and tour around from there.

2 adults, 2 kids - self catering preferably.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Thinking of heading to Derry next Summer. Looking for acc recommendations.

Not arsed about being in the city centre. We want to base ourselves somewhere in or near Derry and tour around from there.

2 adults, 2 kids - self catering preferably.

Anyone got any recommendations?
Can I stop you there.
;)

Probably way too late but we stayed in Jacksons hotel in Ballybofey a few years back.
Nice hotel, nice location handy for exploring Derry, Donegal and the North plus the added advantage of being in the south during marching season.

Probably way too late but we stayed in Jacksons hotel in Ballybofey a few years back.
Nice hotel, nice location handy for exploring Derry, Donegal and the North plus the added advantage of being in the south during marching season.
Thanks for the reply. We have a place booked in Belfast now, post marching season though!

Any places to visit that you would recommend in particular?

Thanks for the reply. We have a place booked in Belfast now, post marching season though!

Any places to visit that you would recommend in particular?
From Belfast head up the coast road, beautiful scenery just don't stop until you hit at least Glenarm. Stayed in Cushendall myself and loved it. Lovely coast walk there and good craic at night in the sailing club. There's a waterfall in the area that was recommended but it was behind us so we left it off.

Visited caves in Cushendun which featured in Game of thrones. Drove on to Torr head for views of Scotland and on to Ballycastle from where you can get a passenger ferry to Rathlin or even Islay for a tour of the distilleries but we didn't do either.

The rest of it was the usual north coast tourist circuit of the rope bridge(need to book in advance) and the Giants Causeway.

If I went back I'd do some more game of thrones locations like the dark hedges, Portballantree? harbour and Dunluce castle.
Stayed on the coast and away from the Bible belt mostly.

From Belfast head up the coast road, beautiful scenery just don't stop until you hit at least Glenarm. Stayed in Cushendall myself and loved it. Lovely coast walk there and good craic at night in the sailing club. There's a waterfall in the area that was recommended but it was behind us so we left it off.

Visited caves in Cushendun which featured in Game of thrones. Drove on to Torr head for views of Scotland and on to Ballycastle from where you can get a passenger ferry to Rathlin or even Islay for a tour of the distilleries but we didn't do either.

The rest of it was the usual north coast tourist circuit of the rope bridge(need to book in advance) and the Giants Causeway.

If I went back I'd do some more game of thrones locations like the dark hedges, Portballantree? harbour and Dunluce castle.
Stayed on the coast and away from the Bible belt mostly.
Brilliant, thanks a million!

We watched all of GOT when our kids were babies, so I feel they should have some subliminal memories of those places ;-)

Brilliant, thanks a million!

We watched all of GOT when our kids were babies, so I feel they should have some subliminal memories of those places ;-)
No problem. On reflection I took the direct route to Larne from Belfast and skipped the staunchly loyalist areas of Carrickfergus etc at the lower end of the coast road. It's the Glenarm coast road out of Larne is worth seeing.

Just back from a week up North. We had a great time, though in fairness we were haunted with the weather.

We based ourselves in a self catering place on the Ormeau Road. About a 30 min walk to the city centre. Near a nice park and some nice restaurants. Found Belfast nice to wander around, but jaysis there are some amount of union jacks and orange lodge flags around. Seemed to me there were far more than the last time I was there (2006 or so), but maybe that is because of the jubilee.

Here are a list of things we did that we enjoyed, in case anyone is thinking of heading up there with kids.

Colin Glen - we did the alpine ride, which was great craic. The Gruffalo walk is really cute, though probably too twee for any kid over 6 or 7

Giant's Causeway- well worth getting the audio guides imo. The visitor centre has a lot of interesting interactive things, something for all ages. You can go and explore it yourself without the audio guides/visitor centre bit, but you still have to pay for parking.

Wild Ireland - animal sanctuary. They have bears and wolves, which were cool to see. I really liked the ethos of the place, very animal centred rather than commercially centred.

Botanic Gardens in Belfast are lovely, quite like Fitzgerald park. The Ulster Museum is based there. It is really impressive as a museum, and it's free! Highlights for us were dinosaur bones, Game of Thrones tapestry and the "differences between catholics and protestants" blackboard from Derry girls!

W5 science museum in Titanic quarter in Belfast - brilliant kid's museum. Mixture of some very scientific stuff and some play based stuff. Like a mixture between a kid's science lab and imaginosity in Dublin.

Dunluce Castle - aka Pyke Castle from GOT. Nothing at all is made of the GOT connection there. It is well worth a look in its own right though. Amazing location and a lot of it is still intact.

We went to the Dark Hedges too - pleasant walk, but not sure I would go out of my way to see it.

There is a stunning beach just over from Dunluce Castle. Well worth a visit if you are going to the castle or to the giants causeway. White Rocks beach, Portrush.

We spent a day in Derry. I much preferred the atmosphere there to Belfast tbh. The city centre/ city walls bit reminded me a lot of Edinburgh. We walked around the murals in the Bogside, and the bloody Sunday memorial, and walked the peace bridge. There are a lot of tours you can do there (esp walking tours) that seemed really interesting but it is all a bit much for small kids so we avoided them.

We did a quick tour of the Belfast murals too, and the peace walls. Again, i'd loved to have done a proper tour of them but it wasn't suitable for smallies. I looked into the open top bus tours, but they were really expensive. Definitely more expensive than other cities I have been to.

So there you go. What Matlock did on her summer holidays...

TL/DR- NI is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

13th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Indie/Folk Music

Franciscan Well Brew Pub, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼