A Ghastly Future Awaits Planet Earth

All available research funding is going to Covid related projects. So the climate gang need to compete. Hence the usual apocalyptic warnings are becoming higher pitched this grant writing season

The planet will recover, we will be well gone at that stage.

It would eventually recover but if runaway climate change took hold it could take 1000s of years if not longer.

Surely homo sapiens can do better, consume less, stop waging war against nature, put an halt to endless economic expansion, stop making junk out of plastic that nobody needs, set limits on population growth, and remove the threat of extinction.

The events of the last year have actually given me some hope in relation to climate change. The ability of humanity to adapt and overcome is fairly awesome.

The planet will recover, we will be well gone at that stage.

Yup.

It would eventually recover but if runaway climate change took hold it could take 1000s of years if not longer.

Surely homo sapiens can do better, consume less, stop waging war against nature, put an halt to endless economic expansion, stop making junk out of plastic that nobody needs, set limits on population growth, and remove the threat of extinction.

We could. But most people can't see past their own noses.

The only hope is if huge progress in desalination technology is made so that extra sea water can be pumped inland for irrigation in places like Africa. And it's done in a fair way.

I don't see any other hope for humanity. In other words, we're focked.

I think this has gathered momentum during the last year for many. I, and a lot of people I know, are buying less (particularly material goods) and will continue to do so.

I think this has gathered momentum during the last year for many. I, and a lot of people I know, are buying less (particularly material goods) and will continue to do so.

The world economy is based off needless consumption. The money spent every day to convince you to buy stuff you don't need is astronomical.

Even if you think you're too smart to be taken in by marketing, I promise you, it still has an effect on the choices you make.

The messaging your brain receives every day telling you to consume is relentless.

The events of the last year have actually given me some hope in relation to climate change. The ability of humanity to adapt and overcome is fairly awesome.

I agree.

We'll invent our way out of this.

Steven Pinker's books paint a very optimistic future for Humanity.

The world economy is based off needless consumption. The money spent every day to convince you to buy stuff you don't need is astronomical.

Even if you think you're too smart to be taken in by marketing, I promise you, it still has an effect on the choices you make.

The messaging your brain receives every day telling you to consume is relentless.

Someone watched Madmen over lockdown.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
SAL
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

28th Sep 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Pa Mulqueen - Limerick

The Pav, Tomorrow @ 8:30pm

More events ▼