the US police killings

I didn't say that was my opinion, I was speculating as to the reasoning behind the trial not going ahead.

To be honest, a lot of the "evidence" of institutional racism is pretty sketchy. Figures are constantly thrown around about the percentage of black people in the general population relative to the prison population. This assumes that crime rates are the same across the racial spectrum, which is nonsense of course. I mean, men make up 50% of the population but a much higher proportion of prisoners are men. This doesn't mean that the justice system is institutionally sexist.

You could apply a similar analogy to other situations. How many women are shot by police every year in the US as a proportion of women who are arrested? Now compare this with the same figure with regard to men. How many women are frisked by police after being stopped versus the percentage of men in a similar situation?

As we can see from the discussion on here, with people immediately ascribing very specific racial motives and even attitudes to the officer in NY on the basis of a YouTube video they watched, charges of institutional racism are frequently open to confirmation bias.

It's easy enough to talk about sketchy evidence and confirmation bias when you don't cite the relevant figures and arguments. For instance, you point out that crime rates are different across the racial spectrum, but a number of the points raised in the article to which I linked refer to differences in how blacks and whites who commit the same crime are treated.

It's easy enough to talk about sketchy evidence and confirmation bias when you don't cite the relevant figures and arguments. For instance, you point out that crime rates are different across the racial spectrum, but a number of the points raised in the article to which I linked refer to differences in how blacks and whites who commit the same crime are treated.

Most of the points in that article are pathetic to be quite honest with you. It would take me all day to go through each one and highlight the flaws. But I did actually address one of them in my post, although I didn't reference it explicitly:

Twelve. So, while African American juvenile youth is but 16% of the population, they are 28% of juvenile arrests, 37% of the youth in juvenile jails and 58% of the youth sent to adult prisons. 2009 Criminal Justice Primer, The Sentencing Project.

Similarly, and a great example of the type of thing I mean:

Ten. As a result, African Americans, who are 13% of the population and 14% of drug users, are not only 37% of the people arrested for drugs but 56% of the people in state prisons for drug offenses. Marc Mauer May 2009 Congressional Testimony for The Sentencing Project.

There are a lot of assumptions being made here. Firstly, as I've already pointed out, there's the implication that the proportion of a group in the general population should be mirrored by the proportion of that group in the prison population.

Secondly, the assumption that only drug users are 1. arrested and 2. incarcerated for drug offences. I would imagine that most people caught using aren't incarcerated at all, much like in Ireland.

For the statistic to mean anything you would have to show what proportion of blacks and whites are involved in dealing and manufacturing drugs primarily, which is what lands most people in jail. Otherwise all you have is a series of unrelated numbers.

You seeing this as evidence of institutional racism rather than a poorly researched and presented statistic is a good example of confirmation bias.

Most of the points in that article are pathetic to be quite honest with you. It would take me all day to go through each one and highlight the flaws. But I did actually address one of them in my post, although I didn't reference it explicitly:

Similarly, and a great example of the type of thing I mean:

There are a lot of assumptions being made here. Firstly, as I've already pointed out, there's the implication that the proportion of a group in the general population should be mirrored by the proportion of that group in the prison population.

Secondly, the assumption that only drug users are 1. arrested and 2. incarcerated for drug offences. I would imagine that most people caught using aren't incarcerated at all, much like in Ireland.

For the statistic to mean anything you would have to show what proportion of blacks and whites are involved in dealing and manufacturing drugs primarily, which is what lands most people in jail. Otherwise all you have is a series of unrelated numbers.

You seeing this as evidence of institutional racism rather than a poorly researched and presented statistic is a good example of confirmation bias.

I'll just reply to the highlighted bit. You're right to note the difference between drug use, possession and sales. But you might have missed the first point he made, where he notes that "whites and blacks engage in drug offenses, possession and sales, at roughly comparable rates - according to a report on race and drug enforcement published by Human Rights Watch in May 2008".

If that's true, then you would expect the proportion of blacks jailed for drug offences to be roughly the same as the proportion of the general population. As you can see, they're not.
Now maybe the figures in that article are are all flawed. But maybe thee's more right in it than you've noticed.
BTW, if you have alternative figures which suggest that there is no race problem with the US justice system, I'd be very interested to see them.

I'll just reply to the highlighted bit. You're right to note the difference between drug use, possession and sales. But you might have missed the first point he made, where he notes that "whites and blacks engage in drug offenses, possession and sales, at roughly comparable rates - according to a report on race and drug enforcement published by Human Rights Watch in May 2008".

If that's true, then you would expect the proportion of blacks jailed for drug offences to be roughly the same as the proportion of the general population. As you can see, they're not.
Now maybe the figures in that article are are all flawed. But maybe thee's more right in it than you've noticed.
BTW, if you have alternative figures which suggest that there is no race problem with the US justice system, I'd be very interested to see them.

Why only reference drug users in the other stat then? If you have he stats to prove what you're saying, why present them in such a haphazard way?

Besides, things like "roughly comparable rates" are meaningless. Again, why not just provide the stats?

Also, lumping unspecified "drug offences", possession and sales together like that is a bit vague in terms of what's at stake. Are the proportions the same across all three areas? It's unclear, yet has a huge bearing on the point being made.

Punishment for possession varies according to amount naturally, so if one group is more involved with supply, then they are more likely to be caught with a larger amount of drugs. No data on that though.

You also need to consider the type of drug as different punishments relate to different drugs. No data on that.

How many of those incarcerated are first time offenders? No data on that.

Manufacture isn't mentioned at all, presumably we can lump it in with "drug offences", which seem to be separate to possession and sales. I guess DUI's and DWI's are included here too, but again we don't know. Are they considered drug offences or motoring offences? Do people go to prison for them? What bearing do things like car-ownership rates have on offences like those and is there a race-divide of some sort in that area?

It's all a bit simplistic really and doesn't give anyone objective an insight into the reality of the situation.

If you really think that stuff like:

Eleven. The US Bureau of Justice Statistics concludes that the chance of a black male born in 2001 of going to jail is 32% or 1 in three. Latino males have a 17% chance and white males have a 6% chance. Thus black boys are five times and Latino boys nearly three times as likely as white boys to go to jail.

is a legitimate example of "Racism in the Criminal Justice System", I would suggest that you've already drawn your own conclusion on the issue.

This one was upsetting.

NO INDICTMENT FOR OFFICERS INVOLVED IN KILLING UNARMED MAN WITH DOWN SYNDROME

http://www.ifyouonlynews.com/human-...ed-in-killing-unarmed-man-with-down-syndrome/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mardra-sikora/according-to-jenkins-best_b_5846042.html

article-2280614-17A9766C000005DC-987_640x446.jpg

From the horse's mouth:

Redditt Hudson, a former cop, works for the NAACP and chairs the board of the Ethics Project. The views expressed here are his own.
Being a cop showed me just how racist and violent the police are. There’s only one fix.
As a kid, I got used to being stopped by the police. I grew up in an inner-ring suburb of St. Louis. It was the kind of place where officers routinely roughed up my friends and family for no good reason.

I hated the way cops treated me.

But I knew police weren’t all bad. One of my father’s closest friends was a cop. He became a mentor to me and encouraged me to join the force. He told me that I could use the police’s power and resources to help my community.

So in 1994, I joined the St. Louis Police Department. I quickly realized how naive I’d been. I was floored by the dysfunctional culture I encountered.

I won’t say all, but many of my peers were deeply racist.

One example: A couple of officers ran a Web site called St. Louis Coptalk, where officers could post about their experience and opinions. At some point during my career, it became so full of racist rants that the site administrator temporarily shut it down. Cops routinely called anyone of color a “thug,” whether they were the victim or just a bystander.

This attitude corrodes the way policing is done.

As a cop, it shouldn’t surprise you that people will curse at you, or be disappointed by your arrival. That’s part of the job. But too many times, officers saw young black and brown men as targets. They would respond with force to even minor offenses. And because cops are rarely held accountable for their actions, they didn’t think too hard about the consequences.

Once, I accompanied an officer on a call. At one home, a teenage boy answered the door. That officer accused him of harboring a robbery suspect, and demanded that he let her inside. When he refused, the officer yanked him onto the porch by his throat and began punching him.

Another officer met us and told the boy to stand. He replied that he couldn’t. So the officer slammed him against the house and cuffed him. When the boy again said he couldn’t walk, the officer grabbed him by his ankles and dragged him to the car. It turned out the boy had been on crutches when he answered the door, and couldn’t walk.

Back at the department, I complained to the sergeant. I wanted to report the misconduct. But my manager squashed the whole thing and told me to get back to work.

I, too, have faced mortal danger. I’ve been shot at and attacked. But I know it’s almost always possible to defuse a situation.

Once, a sergeant and I got a call about someone wielding a weapon in an apartment. When we showed up, we found someone sitting on the bed with a very large butcher knife. Rather than storming him and screaming “put the knife down” like my colleagues would have done, we kept our distance. We talked to him, tried to calm him down.

It became clear to us that he was dealing with mental illness. So eventually, we convinced him to come to the hospital with us.

I’m certain many other officers in the department would have escalated the situation fast. They would have screamed at him, gotten close to him, threatened him. And then, any movement from him, even an effort to drop the knife, would have been treated as an excuse to shoot until their clips were empty.

I liked my job, and I was good at it.

But more and more, I felt like I couldn’t do the work I set out to do. I was participating in a profoundly corrupt criminal justice system. I could not, in good conscience, participate in a system that was so intentionally unfair and racist. So after five years on the job, I quit.

Since I left, I’ve thought a lot about how to change the system. I’ve worked on police abuse, racial justice and criminal justice reform at the Missouri ACLU and other organizations.

Unfortunately, I don’t think better training alone will reduce police brutality. My fellow officers and I took plenty of classes on racial sensitivity and on limiting the use of force.

The problem is that cops aren’t held accountable for their actions, and they know it. These officers violate rights with impunity. They know there’s a different criminal justice system for civilians and police.

Even when officers get caught, they know they’ll be investigated by their friends, and put on paid leave. My colleagues would laughingly refer to this as a free vacation. It isn’t a punishment. And excessive force is almost always deemed acceptable in our courts and among our grand juries. Prosecutors are tight with law enforcement, and share the same values and ideas.

We could start to change that by mandating that a special prosecutor be appointed to try excessive force cases. And we need more independent oversight, with teeth. I have little confidence in internal investigations.

The number of people in uniform who will knowingly and maliciously violate your human rights is huge. At the Ferguson protests, people are chanting, “The whole damn system is guilty as hell.” I agree, and we have a lot of work to do.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...e-racist-and-violent-and-theres-only-one-fix/

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

8th May 2024 @ 4:00 pm
More info..

Stand-up Comedy Club: Earlier Show

The Roundy, Today @ 6:30pm

More events ▼