2023 Premier SHC

Those who thought there was a poor standard in the game between O’Neills and Douglas obviously weren’t around for the first match. Bishopstown reduced to trying potshots from the halfback line in order to score. Couldn’t penetrate the Blackrock defence at all. If this is their general form they could fall a long way. Blackrock got no more than a glorified training session out of the encounter. Not good to possibly see two city clubs relegated one after the other and struggling to come back I think.

What struck me about the O’Neills/Douglas game was how similar Kingston and Dalton actually are despite being totally different hurlers on the face of it. Both have great ability. Neither lacks courage and both are capable of being spectacularly good. Where Dalton can win ball Kingston can blast a team away with his pace. They are both highly individualistic though. They either win games on their own or disappear. Cian Lynch they are not. They are not the conductor of the orchestra which Cork hurling so badly needs. The difference between Limerick in the All Ireland final this year and their performances in Munster was Lynch returned to form. Those expecting Limerick to be vulnerable in Munster next year might be in for a bit of land if Lynch is back on form full time. Dalton and Kingston can shoot the lights out on a given day but they don’t seem to be able to bring those around them with them. O’Neills work so hard for everything they get but scores don’t come easy to them if they fall behind like they did yesterday. They’re plenty good enough to stay up though.

Thought Mark Howell was terrific. Won key dirty ball in the last ten minutes when O’Neills were putting the squeeze on. Great to see in a young lad.

Those who thought there was a poor standard in the game between O’Neills and Douglas obviously weren’t around for the first match. Bishopstown reduced to trying potshots from the halfback line in order to score. Couldn’t penetrate the Blackrock defence at all. If this is their general form they could fall a long way. Blackrock got no more than a glorified training session out of the encounter. Not good to possibly see two city clubs relegated one after the other and struggling to come back I think.

What struck me about the O’Neills/Douglas game was how similar Kingston and Dalton actually are despite being totally different hurlers on the face of it. Both have great ability. Neither lacks courage and both are capable of being spectacularly good. Where Dalton can win ball Kingston can blast a team away with his pace. They are both highly individualistic though. They either win games on their own or disappear. Cian Lynch they are not. They are not the conductor of the orchestra which Cork hurling so badly needs. The difference between Limerick in the All Ireland final this year and their performances in Munster was Lynch returned to form. Those expecting Limerick to be vulnerable in Munster next year might be in for a bit of land if Lynch is back on form full time. Dalton and Kingston can shoot the lights out on a given day but they don’t seem to be able to bring those around them with them. O’Neills work so hard for everything they get but scores don’t come easy to them if they fall behind like they did yesterday. They’re plenty good enough to stay up though.

Thought Mark Howell was terrific. Won key dirty ball in the last ten minutes when O’Neills were putting the squeeze on. Great to see in a young lad.
Very well put.

I think your point about bringing others into play is huge in the cork setup. Cork tend to pick the 6 best forwards who put together superb individual performances for their clubs rather than picking the best 6 who play well together and bring out the best in each forward. This gets the team so far based on pure individual talent and skill of which cork have plenty, however when coming up against the top teams we will come unstuck. It is why cork will always compete in Munster and reach the semi final regularly, they have serious hurling talent as individuals but not as a team.

The forwards who played against Limerick, 5 of them would take frees and be the primary score getters for their clubs but they primarily forge a lone role in that regard. Their are two teams in the club championship who don’t rely on it, Sars and Blackrock, and to an extent the Barrs although they seem to just have an exemplary crop of players especially in the front 8. I think every other team right down to junior relys solely on 1-2 forwards to put in a huge performance to secure a victory.

I think this is starting to change but cork really start need to play the best 6 rather than the best players in a 6

I think your point about bringing others into play is huge in the cork setup. Cork tend to pick the 6 best forwards who put together superb individual performances for their clubs rather than picking the best 6 who play well together and bring out the best in each forward. This gets the team so far based on pure individual talent and skill of which cork have plenty, however when coming up against the top teams we will come unstuck. It is why cork will always compete in Munster and reach the semi final regularly, they have serious hurling talent as individuals but not as a team.

The forwards who played against Limerick, 5 of them would take frees and be the primary score getters for their clubs but they primarily forge a lone role in that regard. Their are two teams in the club championship who don’t rely on it, Sars and Blackrock, and to an extent the Barrs although they seem to just have an exemplary crop of players especially in the front 8. I think every other team right down to junior relys solely on 1-2 forwards to put in a huge performance to secure a victory.

I think this is starting to change but cork really start need to play the best 6 rather than the best players in a 6
Individual talent and skill is needed, it's the gelling and team bond as you said at times we're lacking I believe, at times the extra pass (when needed to a player in a better position not the tippy tappy shit) Lads putting their own personal tallies aside. Yes forwards need to be selfish and in times may need a score to settle them and get them going. It's finding the balance between individual and team and we're not there yet.

There's several clubs, more than Sars Blackrock and Barrs. Go over the years how much clubs have forwards that played U21 as it was, U20 and Minor with Cork who are still great players but not good enough to make the Cork 30, then take into consideration former Cork forwards.
Obviously tho clubs will be relying on their Cork forward to score etc but on the other side of a Cork Forward there's also a Cork Back marking him which clubs know will make life difficult so they go back to their other 4 or 5 forwards.

As you said it's starting to change and I think this is down to the crop of lads post 2018 u21 All-Ireland loss when you look at the names there's 10 that day who played who start or come on a sub.

Kingston is like theroad runner. Has blinkers on tge whole time. Its get the ball and go. Has no vision and can never seem to have a yard or two on his man for all his pace. Ie Gillane would not be as fast as him for eg. but is far cuter and smarter player.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Murry
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

17th Nov 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

Skazz

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 6:30pm

More events ▼