“Trial Shifts” for Potential Employees

If you’re looking for a job and have no experience do you think it’s fair that employers should ask you to do a “trial shift,” to see if you’re up to the job and then decide whether or not to hire you? For no pay?

Apparently this is happening quite a bit in the “hospitality” sector at the moment .
I think it’s a scam to be honest.

When I worked in a bar we had people in for trial shifts. They'd get paid with "experience" but nothing more. Rarely did they get a job out of it. It was mostly kids who had never pulled a pint before and wanted to learn.

I'm surprised it's happening in hospitality now though considering how desperate places are for staff. It's an employee's market.

When I worked in a bar we had people in for trial shifts. They'd get paid with "experience" but nothing more. Rarely did they get a job out of it. It was mostly kids who had never pulled a pint before and wanted to learn.

I'm surprised it's happening in hospitality now though considering how desperate places are for staff. It's an employee's market.

They're all looking for experience: and if some student wanders in looking for a job with no experience apparently they're told they can have a "trial shift" for "training," but without any payment.

True - any half copped-on jobseeker has pick of jobs now. I'd say any employer asking someone to work a shift for free would be told where to go.

I know of one prominent Supervalu operator who is known to ask 16-17 years looking for some part time/summer work to work for free for first week or so!

They're all looking for experience: and if some student wanders in looking for a job with no experience apparently they're told they can have a "trial shift" for "training," but without any payment.

Is this the worst thing in the world ?

How long is a shift like ? To be fair , if a person was taken off afterwards it prob would be fair to pay them for the trial day.

If an employer in the hospitality sector was asking a potential employee to work 1 shift to see how they got on, is that not fair enough to some extent ?

How do you judge someone from an interview if they have no tangible experience ? They could seem nice to talk too but have zero customer service skills and be a disaster to work with.

Do hospitality roles typically have a probation period or is it a case of when you are in , you are in ?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

9th May 2024 @ 10:00 am
More info..

Stand-up Comedy Club: The Gong Show

The Roundy, Tomorrow @ 8:30pm

More events ▼