Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Tim o Mahony back to 5 - back to the future Will the downeys have the pace for Clare?

Think it's more a case of trying to stop Clare getting possession. Pace isn't that much of a threat if they can't get their mits on the ball in the first place. The options were faster smaller guys to stay with Clare forwards running with the ball, or slower bigger guys to try stop them getting the ball in the first place. Our half back line didn't do too well against aerial ball last week and Clare would have exploited that, two bigger wingbacks on Sunday will hopefully curb that threat. Fingers crossed.

A lot of changes, an awful lot of changes. More than would see normal but hey. We were crying out for changes and now we have them.
Having said that, Ethan Twomey aside I think there were cases made for all of the others to be playing so here we are.
A line in the sand moment hopefully.

Perhaps given Robbies recent injury history they are trying to protect him for the long term, we saw what happened last year when put straight in after an injury.
A repeat wouldn't be a good thing .
Longterm.....we don't have luxury of Longterm. Wait until we're 7 ot 8 pts down as per usual, them expect players to magically turn it around.

I expected two or three changes but not six.
We were poor last Sunday but even still Waterford but we were still only a score behind coming to the end of the game with only thirteen players on the field. Waterford deserved their win and were better throughout but I thought Cork might look to see where they thought the issues were and make some tweaks and changes . Taking out six players is major surgery and must be seen as an admission that they got the team wrong last week.... which I felt was not completely the case.
I didn't agree with one or two selected but nothing major and it is rare anyway that everyone agrees on the same team.

I am putting last week behind me now and looking forward to Sunday.
More than anything I think Cork have brought size and strength into the team , Eoin Downey, TOM, Ethan Twomey, DD and Sean Hayes are all big men.
Maybe what I see as a panic move is actually management picking horses for courses.

Either way, I look forward to Sunday and hope for a kick start to our championship with a win.

I know zero here will agree with me on this but of the 3 "older" lads that people are speaking about all week , I think Lehane would actually have been the best of the 3 to start on Sunday. Simply down to venue and the space of Pairc Ui chaoimh and the opposition. I think his game would have been suited to Clare, especially if Conlon sits deeper now after the space that was opened up by Limerick.
I think Clare will work hard on not allowing goal changes develop, so Corks shooting from distance will be important. Hopefully Dalton will have an edge here, his striking from far out is impressive.
Lehane was poor with the shooting last week but overall he is a good shooter from distance and I think Sunday is set up for him. But I know I'd be on my own in that thinking.

I expected two or three changes but not six.
We were poor last Sunday but even still Waterford but we were still only a score behind coming to the end of the game with only thirteen players on the field. Waterford deserved their win and were better throughout but I thought Cork might look to see where they thought the issues were and make some tweaks and changes . Taking out six players is major surgery and must be seen as an admission that they got the team wrong last week.... which I felt was not completely the case.
I didn't agree with one or two selected but nothing major and it is rare anyway that everyone agrees on the same team.

I am putting last week behind me now and looking forward to Sunday.
More than anything I think Cork have brought size and strength into the team , Eoin Downey, TOM, Ethan Twomey, DD and Sean Hayes are all big men.
Maybe what I see as a panic move is actually management picking horses for courses.

Either way, I look forward to Sunday and hope for a kick start to our championship with a win.
Definitely going for size which might explain some of the changes. If Connolly, Hayes and Horgan inside and we go with 2 inside then is Horgan going to be roving forward, that should be interesting 😏. He's not exactly known for his distribution.

I know zero here will agree with me on this but of the 3 "older" lads that people are speaking about all week , I think Lehane would actually have been the best of the 3 to start on Sunday. Simply down to venue and the space of Pairc Ui chaoimh and the opposition. I think his game would have been suited to Clare, especially if Conlon sits deeper now after the space that was opened up by Limerick.
I think Clare will work hard on not allowing goal changes develop, so Corks shooting from distance will be important. Hopefully Dalton will have an edge here, his striking from far out is impressive.
Lehane was poor with the shooting last week but overall he is a good shooter from distance and I think Sunday is set up for him. But I know I'd be on my own in that thinking.
👍

Interesting team selection. My two cents:

Firstly, congratulations to the lads starting their first championship match for Cork. A fabulous achievement for any hurler to represent their county. You’d imagine that for most of these guys they have dreamed of playing for Cork since they were knocking around in the back garden as 5 year olds. Great credit due to their clubs and mentors also, teachers and of course their parents. A proud day for them all no doubt. I think this sentiment is sometimes forgotten but never should be; club and family are the cornerstone of the GAA.

Delighted to see Ethan given a run. I think he has it. My only concern is that he could be left isolated if Fitz is also MF with a briefing to tear forward. Let’s hope not.

Also delighted to see Dalton and Hayes in. I also have to say I’m glad hoggie and harnedy are there. Seamie was decent against Waterford and I think hoggie will surprise a lot of people on Sunday.

Credit to Pat and the lads. They have been brave without being reckless. It looks like we will have close to a full house on Sunday (hopefully!). Cannot wait for it.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

13th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Dan O Keeffe

Seventy Seven, Today @ 9:30pm

More events ▼