Cork Hurlers - Part 2

What is worrying me is the 10 yard passing to guys being marked , losing possesion every time and also taking to many short passes getting out of trouble . Great to see Sean Twomey doing well .

A few lads have written most of my observations already so no need to repeat them. A few others:
- Tim was never, is not now, and as long as I've a hole in me arse never will be an inter-county defender. I love him on our team. But for the love of Christ move him to the half forward line where he can really be used at his best.
- Someone said 'Hoggie was brilliant as usual'. Not sure if this was a wind up or not? A legend, but hasn't scored in two matches. And its going on with a while now. Having said that playing him for 70+ minutes in back-to-back games in February seems like management madness.
- I think we have the makings of a fine team all the way through the field. But, and here's a sentence I didn't think I'd be writing, I'm worried about our full-forward line the most. Without Robbie & Connolly who do we have? Hoggie & Kingston & .... Hayes, Jack O, Cotter...it has me worried. Hoping we see some kind of impact from play from some mix of them over the coming 3 games.
- Can't get my head around that team we put out. Nobody else in the country, nevermind the county, would have picked it. It was blatently going to fail. I've faith in Pat, but the summer needs to cut this out. We suffered last year in Ennis because of it. We can't repeat it this year.

Does anyone know when Dalton, Cunningham & Connolly are due back? We need all three.

Hope to see Daire get some game time. Mullins too. Recover quickly Robbie - the novenas are being offered this Sunday.

He got that one wrong.
16k in PuC tonight, most of them from Cork.
Considering we've won nada in 19 years that's pretty damn good.
His point of reference is probably Cusack Park, which is a short walk from a small provincial town centre 😜and is a glorified milking shed, if Health and Safety were exercising due diligence the seated stand would be decommissioned.
Absolute joyless toilet of a place.
If the GAA are fighting for the hearts of the next generation, venues like PuC, which have a proper imposing aura about them, are the way to go for Inter County games.
Personally think that round robin Munster games should only be played in PuC, Semple Stadium and Gaelic Grounds
He’s part of that backwards cohort who think they can just rock up and park next to the stadium. I parked on Victoria Road last night and was back in Fermoy at 10. 1 hour door to door. This rubbish about traffic is only true if you are lazy and stupid enough to park near the stadium.

He wrote it on purpose anyway. Deliberate windup.

What is worrying me is the 10 yard passing to guys being marked , losing possesion every time and also taking to many short passes getting out of trouble . Great to see Sean Twomey doing well .
It has become the default in Cork hurling, Ger Millerick was the only one playing intelligent ball up the wings and with seconds left on the clock left it off up the field while others were giving ref reason to blow tippy tappy. Fair enough when under pressure but backs make pressure hitting it backwards, alright mix it a bit but sickening to how we play. Yes we play better when we run at teams but at the other side of the field that is.

Some of the stuff that’s written on this forum is absolutely laughable and it’s fairly evident most posters have never picked up a Hurley in their lives :lol!:

Shocking first 20 mins by Cork the space given to KK’s back line on the puck outs was beyond terrible, 3 or 4 times Eoin Murphy played a simple ball out to his half back line who had the freedom of the Pairc to pop scores over at there leisure unchallenged by cork forwards.

Niall O Leary is a fine hurler but never in a million years should he play at CB again, leave him in the corner where he’s effective.

Eoin Downey had a fine game until he went off looks good value for championship but maybe not CB.

Thought Tommy O’C worked very well in midfield I think him and Fitz could be dynamite.

TOM although made some bad decisions tonight is a serious operator, needs some fine tuning which will come with more games.

Collins puck outs weren’t amazing but an improvement on last week against Clare had a decent game tonight with one amazing save.

Hoggie brilliant as always looks as fit as ever brilliant from Free’s bar one.

ROF not his best day out but looked more effective at CF until he went off.

Thought Lehane done well won’t be a starter but still has lots to offer off the bench.

Roche had a decent game at FB done the simple things well.

All in all was happy with how cork battled back into the game could have won it, draw was probably the fair result but not to be on the day, certainly an improvement on last week’s performance.

Great to see Coleman back the guy is pure class.

Loads to work on but I think there was a lot of positives tonight
Hoggie brilliant as always? He didn’t score from play - 3 shots , 3 wides… 2 he’d normally get in his sleep.

I actually don’t think the legs are gone at all, he’s in unreal condition, his work rate was good, he gave Lawlor plenty to worry about but he’s in the team to be our killer, a 90% accuracy marksman and he was off on that front unfortunately last night.

ROF was cleaned out by Butler.

Someone said it above but rewind a few weeks and we were worrying about our backline as opposed to the forward line… Our backs have actually done fairly well in the last 2 weeks - Downeys, Joyce, Millerick and Roche in particular, and with Cahalane, Daire O’Leary to be given a run yet. There is a championship 6 coming here that will be definitely be stronger than last year.

At the other end it’s been poor. One ‘new’ player Sean Twomey and he did great last night. Barrett the only other bright spot. Rest of them too many dropped balls, bad wides, lack of tackling, no improvement on last year. We badly need Cunningham, Fitzgibbon, Connolly, Dalton. Diarmuid Healy must have been watching on last night thinking I can do better than this.

We have no Eoin Cody. We have no one near that level of ability unfortunately. He can gather any type of ball sent his way, high or low and doesn’t really matter if he’s being tightly marked.

I really don’t see the management being brave or radical enough to do what needs to be done in this area of the field, we’re a good bit off it.

KK probably had closer to a full team

All they were missing was Paddy Deegan, TJ and Richie Reid and the wing forward who did ok last year.

Cork have better players to come back in to strengthen the team.

There’s nothing wrong with short passing - KK did a lot of it last night, creating overlaps through the middle and scored 5/6 points in the process. Why can’t we do that - instead we hit 20 yard balls to a player being tightly marked running toward the ball with a hurley in his face. That’s pure mad and whoever is responsible for those tactics is to blame. Sadly it died look like Hoggy is coming to the end. He got some good ball in the second half but couldn’t or wouldn’t take on his man. Surely it’s impact sub time from now on. Let the ball in faster and let guys fight for it.

Very worried by what I’ve seen so far. The same bad habits on display again. Went completely missing for large parts of the game.

The ease at which the Kilkenny backs got out especially in the first half was shocking. They had a good few scores where they moved the ball up the field without being tackled once.

Sure enough we did come back but there was a stroke of luck in that. Kilkenny had a good few wides and missed some good goal chances too. Cork scored 1-08 from play. Not good enough.

Despite the performance, tactics and result there are still a lot of positives out of last night

Eoin Downey and Eoin Roche both done well in the full back line and should start again the next day

I thought Rob had a strong start before being forced off and his replacement Ger Millerick was his usual busy gutsy self, Tim struck a world of ball (and man 🤣) but his shot selection was strange, he’s needed more up the field for his physicality. Mark made an enormous difference hurling wise when introduced but there were signs again of his defensive frailties and he too was guilty of some mad pot shots at goal

Tommy was a revelation at midfield, his workrate and industry matches that of Brian Roche but his crisp hurling is superior, Is now a serious option. Ethan also made a big difference when introduced and these two could be the future

Sean Twomey was almost a one man band in the first half, time and time again he was winning the dirty ball or slowing down the defenders coming out with it. We need to keep playing him and clone him on the other wing. Lehane scored some cracking points tonight and will be an option come championship. Shane Barrett was industrious as well and now needs a start to show his worth

Alot of negative vibes about Hoggy since last night but I think he is doing ok considering we are totally underusing his strengths. Place him on the edge of the square and play 2 pacier players alongside him and get the ball into him and he will do damage. He could easily have had 2 goals tonight out of half chances and that was all down to his crabitness. I still think we need to look at him in an impact rrole in some league game though, it would be criminal not to

My team for Waterford would be a ballsy selection but we need to shake things up and start looking at a few things. They could play Mark at 9, Tim at 10, Conor at 11 and Brian at 13 too of course

1 Brion Saunderson (we must look at him)
2 Conor O Callaghan (deserves a shot in his best position)
3 Eoin Roche (let him there to learn)
4 Sean O Donoghue (a must starter)
5 Eoin Downey (I love this guys swagger)
6 Ciaran Joyce (enough said)
7 Rob Downey (a big time player)
8 Tommy O Connell (has to start after last night)
9 Tim O Mahony (must be looked at here)
10 Brian Hayes (has to get a run here)
11 Mark Coleman (this must be looked at)
12 Sean Twomey must (keep him here for the rest of the league)
13 Conor Lehane (worth a look at inside)
14 Patrick Horgan (edge of the square with runners around him)
15 Shane Barrett (worth a few starts)

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
Sin É, Coburg St

3rd Jun 2024 @ 6:30 pm
More info..

On The Waterfront (15A)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 5:45pm

More events ▼