pj coogan show

In what must be greatest act of reconciliation and burying of hatchets since McGuinness and Paisley cosied up to each other, Peej had Cllr Paudie Dineen on today.
No mention of the unpleasantness that had led to the great split.

Peej had lads on claiming the TEMPORARY VAT reduction to 9% being not continued was killing them. If charging your customers €54.50 rather than €56.75 for meal with VAT exclusive cost of €50 is a problem, than you have bigger issues to worry about.

Likewise customers might think twice about going out for a meal with cost of living at the moment but paying extra €4.50 for a €100 meal not going to be the deal breaker. The fact that same meal was €60 or €70 a couple of years ago may be an issue mind you. Biggest driver of this increase was Putin invading Ukraine but easier to blame "them lads in the gubbermint above in Dublin."

If 9% rate brought back tomorrow, I'd say you could count on one hand the number of places that would pass the reduction on to their customers!!
Spot on. 👍

Not withstanding the huge profits the likes of the hotels make, especially from the RIP-off jacked up prices when a gig/event is announced close by.

Hence why so many new hotels still be built these days.

Imagine if cab drivers, trains, buses, shops, etc were allowed to up their prices when a concert/event comes to town.

Hotels are laughing at people and definitely do not deserve any cuts to the VAT rate.

If your business model is dependent on a 4.5% vat rate increase that you do not even pay yourself but the customer does then you had better try something else to make a living.

Exactly, those businesses are essentially saying that if a meal costing €100+vat went from €113.50 to €109, they'd pocket the €4.50.
Customers aren't going to come flooding back to save less than a fiver so the only way a business owner profits from a VAT decrease is continue to charge the customer €113.50 and pay VAT €9 to the taxman meaning owner gets €104.50 rather than €100.

Problem for restaurant owners is they have to charge €100 for a meal that used to cost €70 or whatever. That's the kind of increase that will keep customers away. That increase is down to worldwide rise in energy/ingredient costs.

Had my periodical 20 minutes of PJ this morning. PJ had a local hotel representative on about increasing insurance costs. Did PJ say boo to him about scandalous hotel prices not a hope. Me thinks PJ was too afraid to open his mouth in case the freebies would stop coming his way from the hospitality industry.

Last edited:
Had my periodical 20 minutes of PJ this morning. PJ had a local hotel representative on about increasing insurance costs. Did PJ say boo to him about scandalous hotel prices not a hope. Me think PJ was too afraid to open his mouth in case the freebies would stop coming his way from the hospitality industry.

Missed that.
Earlier, he was discussing protests due later this month by locals in Lanzarote and elsewhere about rental/accommodation crisis for locals due to too many tourists and over development of resorts.
Peej, who always uses housing crisis here as a stick to beat the government with took a different tack for locals in holiday destinations.
Rather than bring on the Canary Islands equivalent of Mick Da Dub or Tommy G, he had some ex pat from Douglas living in Lanza and working in tourism industry there advising us that all was well and the more tourists the better!!

Peej (not wanting anything to jeopardise his entitlement to holidibobs in sun or low cost thereof) went along with this narrative. View being these Spanish folk were only making trouble and even if homeless, should be delighted with likes of Peej visiting their place and spending his money there!!

Friend of mine who spends a lot of time there says place being over run now with massive All inclusive resorts and completely different vibe there to even 10 years ago.

Last edited:
PJ will never bite the hand that feeds him--ok to play to the plebs and use Mick da dub to bate those politicians up in Dublin
And by fuck is it feeding him.
My only feedback from PJ or Neill is through this thread.
Why the fuck do you support these tools by listening to their prole feed shite?

Louise Duffy just about to start on Radio 1, start fiddling the nob lads.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Award Winning Steve Hughes (Australia)
City Limits, Coburg St.

15th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Strangeways Club Night*

The Pav, Tomorrow @ 10:30pm

More events ▼