Cork Hurlers - Part 2

From d'Echo, would be damn happy if that team jogs out for the game v Offaly on Sunday.
Think they were eyeing Championship v Waterford with this proposed 15
View attachment 30506
Link to the article: https://www.echolive.ie/corksport/arid-41345099.html

In terms of a championship side I think that 1-9 is v close to what will take to the field against Waterford, with O'Donoghue in for one of the Eoins. Overall I'd be happy enough with that part of the team. I wouldn't be crazy about the forward line though. I don't think all of O'Connor, Horgan and Lehane should start together. None of them are consistently good at winning 50-50 balls, and none of them are going to harry opposition defenders enough to slow down the ball coming out, let alone force many turnovers. At most there's room for two of them to start, and arguably just one.

For Offaly, I think they should give O'Connor a chance to back up his display against Waterford - let him roam out from the corner with Hayes and Connolly inside. O'Mahony and Dalton (if fit - if not, S. Twomey) on the wings. I reckon they should play Barrett at 11. His display against Waterford mixed some great battling with a couple of the bad misses that have plagued his game since at least last year, and some silly fouling. He looks to me like a guy short on confidence who is trying to force it. I think he should start against Offaly in the hope that a couple of scores will settle him down. Likewise, I think Saunderson should start - he was shaky enough last day, he won't be first choice come championship but he would have to play if anything happens to Collins, so another chance to gain in confidence would be v handy.

In terms of a championship side I think that 1-9 is v close to what will take to the field against Waterford, with O'Donoghue in for one of the Eoins. Overall I'd be happy enough with that part of the team. I wouldn't be crazy about the forward line though. I don't think all of O'Connor, Horgan and Lehane should start together. None of them are consistently good at winning 50-50 balls, and none of them are going to harry opposition defenders enough to slow down the ball coming out, let alone force many turnovers. At most there's room for two of them to start, and arguably just one.

For Offaly, I think they should give O'Connor a chance to back up his display against Waterford - let him roam out from the corner with Hayes and Connolly inside. O'Mahony and Dalton (if fit - if not, S. Twomey) on the wings. I reckon they should play Barrett at 11. His display against Waterford mixed some great battling with a couple of the bad misses that have plagued his game since at least last year, and some silly fouling. He looks to me like a guy short on confidence who is trying to force it. I think he should start against Offaly in the hope that a couple of scores will settle him down. Likewise, I think Saunderson should start - he was shaky enough last day, he won't be first choice come championship but he would have to play if anything happens to Collins, so another chance to gain in confidence would be v handy.
I agree with your points which are well made.
There seems little point in having Daire O’Leary and Robbie Cotter on the panel if they don’t get a run. A similar case applies to Conor O’Callaghan in his proper position at corner back.

There seems little point in having Daire O’Leary and Robbie Cotter on the panel if they don’t get a run. A similar case applies to Conor O’Callaghan in his proper position at corner back.
I think O'Leary should have started v Clare or KK, and I would have given Cotter game time either off the bench or from the start against Waterford. O'Callaghan is tricky - they have given a good bit of time to Roche and Downey, and the feeling might have been that adding O'Callaghan as well would be a fairly inexperienced FB line. In general I like seeing less experienced players bedding in with more experienced colleagues beside them, and if that's the approach taken it will limit the number of newer players who can be tried. That said, the decision to play him in midfield vs KK was a v odd one - maybe he was showing great stuff there in training, but it didn't happen for him there on the night (bar the goal).

I think O'Leary should have started v Clare or KK, and I would have given Cotter game time either off the bench or from the start against Waterford. O'Callaghan is tricky - they have given a good bit of time to Roche and Downey, and the feeling might have been that adding O'Callaghan as well would be a fairly inexperienced FB line. In general I like seeing less experienced players bedding in with more experienced colleagues beside them, and if that's the approach taken it will limit the number of newer players who can be tried. That said, the decision to play him in midfield vs KK was a v odd one - maybe he was showing great stuff there in training, but it didn't happen for him there on the night (bar the goal).
I would only play COC with two experienced players.
Playing him midfield was puzzling but selectors may think there’s a shortage of a holding midfielder and experimented.

It is Robbie Cotters first year on the panel, Daire O Leary has missed a lot of the last two seasons through injury. I think both are still young and have plenty of years ahead of them to make their mark. The were under 2020 in 2021 and I think Daire O Leary may also have been under age again in 2022.

Both of these have plenty of time to prove their worth in future years.
PR has given lots of players some time on the pitch and now needs to start honing in on his team.

I think you are right but a lot in what you say but I think we are in championship mode now.
Collins will start , I think Lehane looks like a starter as the selectors seem to have a role in mind for him( a mistake in my humble opinion). I think Horgan starts as well and after that it could be any other four but I don't think you can play Horgan, Lehane and O Connor in the same forward line.
Hopfully Twomey continues to impress, Dalton recovers from injury, Fitgibbon and O Flynn as well.
Having so many forwards missing so much time is certainly not ideal.

A further thought.
Shane B had great year at midfield for Blarney and has the physique that is missing in most of the other midfielders suggested in this forum

I think you are right but a lot in what you say but I think we are in championship mode now.
Collins will start , I think Lehane looks like a starter as the selectors seem to have a role in mind for him( a mistake in my humble opinion). I think Horgan starts as well and after that it could be any other four but I don't think you can play Horgan, Lehane and O Connor in the same forward line.
Hopfully Twomey continues to impress, Dalton recovers from injury, Fitgibbon and O Flynn as well.
Having so many forwards missing so much time is certainly not ideal.
I think they can play the bones of the likely championship first XV and still have room to try a couple of things - e.g., give O'Connor another start to see if he has found his form, give Barret a chance to build his confidence. If those players are both in form, I would expect at least one to start come championship, especially factoring in the injuries and the physical toll the round robin is likely to take. You'd certainly be hoping they could at the v least be options off the bench, and come championship that will be as important as a settled first team imo.

That said, if they are in championship mode as you put it, they will probably start Collins, Lehane and Horgan in Offaly.

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Bernard Casey (Local Gossip) and Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

14th Sep 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Silence (G) [Pat Collins Season]

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 4:30pm

More events ▼