Cork Hurlers - Part 2

There are a load of sarcastic responses because zoning in on 3 players over 30 in a matchday squad stacked with players U25 sounds like agenda pushing, narrow minded bias.

This particular narrative around the 3 of them seems almost solely driven by Hoggie and Harnedy being called our as our best performers in our game v Limerick last year.
The mumblings about that being worrying for Cork started then.
Ffs.
Whinging about seeing Hoggie, Harnedy and Lehane playing together, do you even like the game of hurling?

It’s a totally valid point and loads of people agree, while this is the league and the management continue in year 2 to decide on what their best team for championship is, I would think there is a real chance at least harnedy and Horgan will start come championship and possibly lehane despite numerous recent championship performances, that would be unique I would think for a team that has been unsuccessful with a raft of potential younger players to select that we would have a profile like that, quite simply it means we will have less ability to press and tackle and work come championship as older simply don’t have the legs.
All really good players with Horgan and harnedy always producing in championship and lehane is a good league player hopefully come championship we won’t be as heavily reliant on them

On the 3 elder statesmen there are lots of valid points being made on here on both sides.
On the way things are going I think 2 of the 3 will start championship, on merit. Lehanes history might come against him, and only for that he’d have his name on a starting place too as he is chugging away in the league.

I can totally understand that the above does not maybe reflect well on the state of Cork hurling and highlights our problem of turning boys into men. 5 years ago we could all say the talent just hasn’t been there for years but with underage AIs coming in hard and fast since with little progress at IC it’s suggesting something else is amiss in Cork hurling.
Structurally and strategically Cork GAA are a total mess, completely disjointed and incoherent, with the rebel og squads a thin veneer hiding the cracks, the squad selections and style of play a reflection of the coaches own personality and attitudes rather than an elite academy approach.

For years we’ve highlighted the shortage of leaders on the team who would fight and deliver in tight games. Since then Joyce has emerged and hopefully this year Tommy O Connell can grow into a midfielder of substance
Up front we all hoped Alan Connolly and Robbie could lead the line alongside Dalton but given injury trends that’s looking less than certain in 2024.

Don’t know why there’s a bunch of sarcastic responses to this post, it’s a totally fair comment. There isn’t another county in the country doing this. Clare have SOD and Kelly from that year but they were 19 then and 29 now. Kilkenny have TJ but that’s it and he’s probably the greatest player to play the game and a rake of AI medals. Cody got rid of the late noughties legends fairly ruthlessly and they weren’t being replaced by underage super stars with lots of underage all irelands.

And to be honest it’s not about age for me. Hoggie deserves to be there no question, whether he needed to start all 3 opening league games is another matter (we should really be trying out an alternative free taker. Dalton injury prone and what if Hoggie gets injured week before championship, who’s going to be hitting frees?)

Lehane is doing what he’s done forever, play ok and get some scores in the league, people are already nodding to a championship inclusion now I see on here… mad stuff lads, when it comes to knockout history would suggest it just won’t happen.

Seamie is a full-on legend but there are mad rose tinted glasses on here for him. He’s been hitting a bunch of wides over recent seasons and can’t cover the ground we need our forwards to cover. Unlike Lehane he brings his best in do or die games but I think it’s disappointing to see all 3 lads in there together.

Another opportunity missed to use Coleman more creatively (again like other counties are doing every league campaign).

I also feel for Conor O’Callaghan - thrown into midfield against Kk and not given a chance where he can operate best at corner back. Cathal Mac and JOC are highly unlikely championship players but the former is a serious operator, the latter doesn’t have the do or die attitude, and I was a huge fan.

I haven’t intended to sound that negative, I’m sure we’ll get a good performance out of these lads, I just think the championship signals are not great. But fair play to Pat for sticking to his guns that league results don’t bother him, he’s trying things and being fair to the panel. I just think there’s other things that could be tried that might have much more impact when it matters.
I wouldn't be to concerned about the age of the players listed for tomorrow.
Connolly on the bench, Twomey, Fitzgibbon, Dalton not involved, maybe Tim O Mahony, Brian Roche another who has played in the forwards a lot, Robbie Cotter certainly deserving of some minutes on the field. Those I have mention is a complete alternative forward line

If the three elder statesmen deserve to start ahead of all of those then they have earned their positions.

I said it before but one of Corks biggest problems will be picking 6 forwards from a bunch of about 12/14 who are broadly all about the same level ( on the good side of decent) so they are essentially interchangeable. In other words no absolute stand out forwards who can carry a team when necessary. I don’t see this being fixed any time soon and for that reason I am quite pessimistic about the year ahead. I would so love to be wrong but I fear I will be proven right again when we don’t get out of Munster.

Don’t know why there’s a bunch of sarcastic responses to this post, it’s a totally fair comment. There isn’t another county in the country doing this. Clare have SOD and Kelly from that year but they were 19 then and 29 now. Kilkenny have TJ but that’s it and he’s probably the greatest player to play the game and a rake of AI medals. Cody got rid of the late noughties legends fairly ruthlessly and they weren’t being replaced by underage super stars with lots of underage all irelands.

And to be honest it’s not about age for me. Hoggie deserves to be there no question, whether he needed to start all 3 opening league games is another matter (we should really be trying out an alternative free taker. Dalton injury prone and what if Hoggie gets injured week before championship, who’s going to be hitting frees?)

Lehane is doing what he’s done forever, play ok and get some scores in the league, people are already nodding to a championship inclusion now I see on here… mad stuff lads, when it comes to knockout history would suggest it just won’t happen.

Seamie is a full-on legend but there are mad rose tinted glasses on here for him. He’s been hitting a bunch of wides over recent seasons and can’t cover the ground we need our forwards to cover. Unlike Lehane he brings his best in do or die games but I think it’s disappointing to see all 3 lads in there together.

Another opportunity missed to use Coleman more creatively (again like other counties are doing every league campaign).

I also feel for Conor O’Callaghan - thrown into midfield against Kk and not given a chance where he can operate best at corner back. Cathal Mac and JOC are highly unlikely championship players but the former is a serious operator, the latter doesn’t have the do or die attitude, and I was a huge fan.

I haven’t intended to sound that negative, I’m sure we’ll get a good performance out of these lads, I just think the championship signals are not great. But fair play to Pat for sticking to his guns that league results don’t bother him, he’s trying things and being fair to the panel. I just think there’s other things that could be tried that might have much more impact when it matters.
Well summarised Morello. Its a strange looking selection but in PR we trust. Looks like Mgmt want Coleman for wing back. I have to question the logic of this. Tall wing forwards like Hegarty will target him all day on puckouts.

I hope Coleman has a stormer and rules the skies, shuts me up.

Well summarised Morello. Its a strange looking selection but in PR we trust. Looks like Mgmt want Coleman for wing back. I have to question the logic of this. Tall wing forwards like Hegarty will target him all day on puckouts.

I hope Coleman has a stormer and rules the skies, shuts me up.
It’s early days yet re Coleman, they may be just easing him back in in a familiar position before looking at him midfield. But they may also be set on playing him at 7.

I too would worry about him being targeted but on the plus side wing backs get a lot of time on the ball in space and can deliver quality ball into the fowards or even tack over a few points. No one better than Mark at that

I said it before but one of Corks biggest problems will be picking 6 forwards from a bunch of about 12/14 who are broadly all about the same level ( on the good side of decent) so they are essentially interchangeable. In other words no absolute stand out forwards who can carry a team when necessary. I don’t see this being fixed any time soon and for that reason I am quite pessimistic about the year ahead. I would so love to be wrong but I fear I will be proven right again when we don’t get out of Munster.
But it’s not about picking 6, it’s about using 9’or 10 of them each game

For instance any two from Sean/Deccie/Tim/Seamie and hopefully Cunningham could be wing foward with Hoggy/Connolly/Barrett/Lehane/Kingston/Hayes could all interchange during games with Fitzy at 11 and Robbie at 13

Fitzy and Robbie are the two I hope to see step up and lead the way

I’d imagine Sean Twomey must of picked up a knock or strain in training to keep him out?

IMO the jury is still out on Twomey, yes he did well the last day. Well. He was half forward, what did he score ? I'm not knocking the lad, I hope he goes on to be an all time great. But as far as him being a nailed on starter I'm not so sure.

It’s early days yet re Coleman, they may be just easing him back in in a familiar position before looking at him midfield. But they may also be set on playing him at 7.

I too would worry about him being targeted but on the plus side wing backs get a lot of time on the ball in space and can deliver quality ball into the fowards or even tack over a few points. No one better than Mark at that
I'd agree with that and say I'd prefer for see him play MF or as a third MF of we go with a 2 man FF line.

In a more advanced position he has the ability to step through midfield and slot over a few scores every game. He is best facing the ball but weak under puck outs so MF might be a nice position for him.

I'd rate him as one of our best players but he really needs to move the ball faster on some occasions. In the past he's been guilty of over elaboration on the ball and there's no need for it with his striking being at an elite level. Feed the FF line with his quality...and it could make our forward line tick

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Cork's Primetime Comedy Show
The Roundy, Castle St.

27th Jul 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼