Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Who played midfield in second half - was it Ethan Twomey and Tommy O C? Was Roche half forward line.

Well done to sean Twomey. Mellerick made a fine impact too. Eoin Downey looks a championship contender. Tommy o Connell a championship midfielder every day.
Niall o Leary a defense sub in my book and Joyce was a huge absence this evening.
Coleman showed any doubters that he will be playing come championship.
We badly need to find a few new forwards as we can’t keep looking at the same lads making the same mistakes.

Cranky is right on Hoggie, his legs are gone giving him less time to strike getting blocked & missing unusually. He shouldn't be strolling out past halfway line to take frees either but he will be a clinical finisher to bring on late in a game.
Outside of good blocks, Ger Millerick hit some great balls up the wing tonight which Twomey won alot of putting in a good shift.

Afraid Hoggie doesnt have the legs anymore. Some lovely balls played in front of him when game was in the melting pot but he didn't have the pace of old to manufacture crucial scores. 1 point loss covers a multitude of cracks in players and management. Limerick would be lacking their lips to play wither of these poor teams. DonalOg was talking some shite as well on commentary - no wonder he never made it in management.
He has lost some speed but if he didn’t have the legs surely Lawlor would have beaten him out to the ball. Horgan was getting on the ball but was a bit too lax on his shooting

While a very patchy performance you can take positives:
Eoin Roche has played a very difficult position twice at IC level now and has been solid.
Sean O'Donoghue looked sharp on and off the ball.
Tommy O'Connell showing he may be a midfield option we badly need.
Coleman coming back and looks sharp.
Sean Twomey playing some really good stuff and is exactly the type of player Cork need.
Conor Lehane had a good game at centre forward.
Hoggie still able to win ball against the best full-back in the game.

Negatives:
Robbie O'Flynn and Rob Downey coming off injured.
Tim O'Mahony with his headless chicken shooting and fouls. Doesn't seem to learn.
That patchiness in play will be punished come ch'ship. They badly need consistency.

Gutting to lose by a point in the end but given the awful first 20-25 mins I'm glad it worked out that way. Had Kilkenny got a goal when it was 0-13 0-6 it could have an absolute filleting at home to our historic rivals. It would have been the worst.

When you change the team up and bring in lots of new players you have to give them time to settle, that does account for a portion of the crap start. We had the usual over-ellaboration tippy tappy stuff as well here and there to add more bitterness to the first half. But then just as I find myself saying 'puck it down the field to fuck' they pull off a sublime series of passes and they get a score out of it!

Tim O'Mahony in a way typifies what the people who want big physical passionate hurlers want. I love him, he's got a great engine and he's well up for mixing it too so he gets the crowd and team roaring. But then you get the silly frees and the moments of madness. His shooting is ok but shot selection iffy at times from distance. It's very difficult to have it both ways, if you want a big physical player like that you have to take the good with the bad. I'd have him in the team everyday and if you have Mark Coleman and Joyce around him with their skill levels it balances it for us.

I nearly lost my fucking life shouting when Kingston failed to control the ball there at the end. Contrary to what some people said a few pages back he was able to rise the ball with his hurley, he just didn't catch it. That's his brain getting ahead of his hand, he was thinking too much about what he'd do once he had the ball in his hand. I'd say he was probably in two minds about whether to take the point to draw the game or go for the goal.....his instinct is the latter but his confidence would be down because of the earlier misses. In the end he's thinking too far ahead....and it all falls apart.

Same with Hoggie's misses....we could have won it. The free when Pat Ryan spoke to him just beforehand. Fuck sake!

You have to look at the postives though. Mainly, the fact that we came from so far behind and showed a bit of passion. Tommy O'Connell was great, he was everywhere at times. Was delighted to see Mark Coleman back and he looks sharp as ever. Twomey was good and a real handful for the Kilkenny backs. Lehane is what we always think collectively. Toggling between genius and frustrating. That point towards the end when he ran down the touchline on the north stand was beautiful.

In summary, frustrating we didn't win or draw it but losing by a point to the team that only lost the AI to Limerick by a point isn't too bad in February.

We need to go and smash Waterford now to get the tails up.

#PrayForRobbie

He has lost some speed but if he didn’t have the legs surely Lawlor would have beaten him out to the ball. Horgan was getting on the ball but was a bit too lax on his shooting
Exactly. Lawlor is one of the best in the business. Surely Hoggie's shooting is more put down to early season rustiness and pressure from Lawlor. Saying he hasn't got the legs when he's just won the ball out in front is ridiculous.

Gutting to lose by a point in the end but given the awful first 20-25 mins I'm glad it worked out that way. Had Kilkenny got a goal when it was 0-13 0-6 it could have an absolute filleting at home to our historic rivals. It would have been the worst.

When you change the team up and bring in lots of new players you have to give them time to settle, that does account for a portion of the crap start. We had the usual over-ellaboration tippy tappy stuff as well here and there to add more bitterness to the first half. But then just as I find myself saying 'puck it down the field to fuck' they pull off a sublime series of passes and they get a score out of it!

Tim O'Mahony in a way typifies what the people who want big physical passionate hurlers want. I love him, he's got a great engine and he's well up for mixing it too so he gets the crowd and team roaring. But then you get the silly frees and the moments of madness. His shooting is ok but shot selection iffy at times from distance. It's very difficult to have it both ways, if you want a big physical player like that you have to take the good with the bad. I'd have him in the team everyday and if you have Mark Coleman and Joyce around him with their skill levels it balances it for us.

I nearly lost my fucking life shouting when Kingston failed to control the ball there at the end. Contrary to what some people said a few pages back he was able to rise the ball with his hurley, he just didn't catch it. That's his brain getting ahead of his hand, he was thinking too much about what he'd do once he had the ball in his hand. I'd say he was probably in two minds about whether to take the point to draw the game or go for the goal.....his instinct is the latter but his confidence would be down because of the earlier misses. In the end he's thinking too far ahead....and it all falls apart.

Same with Hoggie's misses....we could have won it. The free when Pat Ryan spoke to him just beforehand. Fuck sake!

You have to look at the postives though. Mainly, the fact that we came from so far behind and showed a bit of passion. Tommy O'Connell was great, he was everywhere at times. Was delighted to see Mark Coleman back and he looks sharp as ever. Twomey was good and a real handful for the Kilkenny backs. Lehane is what we always think collectively. Toggling between genius and frustrating. That point towards the end when he ran down the touchline on the north stand was beautiful.

In summary, frustrating we didn't win or draw it but losing by a point to the team that only lost the AI to Limerick by a point isn't too bad in February.

We need to go and smash Waterford now to get the tails up.

#PrayForRobbie
Good analysis

I'm less downbeat after that than I was after last Sunday . The changes forced on PR saw an improvement. Mellerick , Ethan Twomey especially . Add in Roche, Tommy OC , Tim and Sean Twomey and we are starting to see a team with a bit of drive and attitude .

Belueve it or not , I'm not actually ok with not winning if the team gives us everything . These players give us that . Some others don't and to be honest , Im more than fed up with them

Same every year, braindead keyboard warriors attacking amateur lads that give serious commitment every year. At this stage I just breeze past and ignore most of the posts here.
Thankfully this was the first post I read.
Lots of sh**te talk from keyboard warriors I presume?
The team deserve support and anyone turning on them right now should f*** right off.
Unlucky to lose that game in the end, bit more composure going into the dying minutes and we'd have been talking about a famous victory.
The start reminded me of the first half v Clare in Thurles 2022.
Crowd stunned into silence, O'Callaghan and Twomey saved the day though with their work for the goal.
Sort of knocked the team out the trance they were in and got the crowd into it.

Hope the injuries to ROF and Downey are nothing to worry about.
Did Meade get injured too?

Great to see Mark Coleman back, fingers crossed he stays fit.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Thursday Showcase
The Roundy, Castle St.

20th Jun 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Henry Glassie: Fieldwork (G) [Pat Collins Season]

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 8:05pm

More events ▼