Nash 19 restaurant

Shite like these Palestine protests are killing the city centre too. I just avoid town completely on a Saturday now as the place is hijacked every week by people shouting about whatever cause is in vogue this week.

Literally NOTHING is going to change in Gaza because of a few hundred people walking around Cork with flags.

There's a lot at stake over these coming months for the hospitality industry.

A happy public house should be no more that 23% on average ,this percentage used to be 18 but has climbed steadily o er the years .
Restaurants average 35 to 38% you string a bad month and it could look like 50% at times ,

Pubs that get into food do so out of desperation,the Lilly has simply been too gilded here ,
Your pay roll now matches that of a restaurant plus you lose the pint men and women and it’s very hard to get a good pint in a place that does food,
You are now in a no man’s land situation. ,you have lost the Craic but you can’t afford to charge what needs to be charged to cover the costs ,
MOE I’ve counselled others on this folly for years .

There is no room left now but to pass on charges to customers ,1e a pint over next 2 years just factoring in the minnwage rises of 1.17 next jan and 1.11 the jan after ,

Food outlets are a multiple of that per dish .consider it a 5er a dish abs that’s just to stay still and does not include energy or food Inflation ,

Tbh it evens out in the end,in the 80s the pint almost went up 45% in 3 years (I’ll follow it to the pound) but what’s happening now is too much for any business to sustain in the next 3 year window .
I agree with the min wage as it goes back into the economy and there can’t be any tax forgiveness but they have to spread those tax debts over 10,15 years or the tax payer is in the hook for the best part of the 1.7 bn outstanding ,
I used to not agree with the 9% vat rate but it’s badly needed now .

The sad thing about this is that cork is on the cusp on an unprecedented boom and businesses will fail because of a couple of issues that can be solved in order to give people the confidence to carry on,
The vultures are already circling and there is hints of 2011 about it ,

The effects of last years interest rate rises will only manifest between now and June as most people and households put their head in the sand and borrowed for Xmas ,now comes the pain ,you are simply not going to be buying your lunch out,but I believe this is a temporary situation. And you’d hate to see vultures and “accountant” “square glasses “type people get their hands on good businesses .

There is a widespread contempt for the self employed in ireland ,it is reflected in attituds from the civil service ,the banks (try get a mortgage for a house when you are self employed )and a certain ilk of the public who always wants something for nothing or who are ignorant of the running costs of a business ,
The demise of western culture will be characterised in part by overwhelming over compliance by competing and often contradictory government agencies which whilst keeping the jobsworths employed heaped so much expense on small businesses that they folded and were snapped up by bigger concerns ,this will lead to huge instability and loss of hope ,
It’s almost impossible to start a business from scratch in hospitality these days let alone survive,it’s gone like farming you need three times the acres to make the same as you did 40 years ago ,

Tea break over
Fantastic response thanks.

I always thought that the superpub with food was because the old model of just serving pints wasn't profitable.

The costs you mentioned in the restaurants are eye watering and shock me! There must only be a few doing well as if your wage costs is 50% at times it simply means that your net revenue is poor. Add on all the shit now, energy, insurance, rates and you're losing money quickly.

I always wondered why restaurants were usually so sensitive to minimum wage but this probably make sense why. That said , we're in an expensive economy and think all staff need to be paid correctly to reflect costs.

Last piece of the puzzle is profit margin, what's acceptable. Know one business who made 40% profit last year and moaning about min wage, that's the shit that annoys me.

Google the following : ANOTHER Nash 19 post. I know, I know…

Too much of a hot potato to throw up a direct link. I don't want to incur a ban.
Yeah it's after taken on legend status over there. Some funny stuff on it with lads saying she has sold their first born into sweat shops and others outdoing each other to come up with worse stories .

Right or wrong she has garnered a terrible reputation.

I'm still amazed by Bennys opinions on pubs doing food.

I remember watching "At your service" with the Brennan Brothers when they did the Windsor Inn/LV on Mccurtain Street. Their big take away was that the place was falling behind because they didn't do food.

So they made yer man put in a kitchen, and then he went out of business (although they didn't show that part of the story on the RTE show).

I genuinely would have thought that to adapt to the times and survive, a pub would need to do food.

I suppose the sweet spot is to partner up with somewhere that does food, so you can keep customers in the pub when they're hungry, without having to incur the costs of having a kitchen and dealing with ingredients, cleaning etc.

Not too long ago I was in Castletownbear, and went to a pub called Twomeys Ivy. They had an agreement with a place across the road called the Chefs Table, so you'd go over there and order your food, they give you a little buzzer that goes off when the food is ready, and you collect the food then. For an extra €2 they'd drop it over. Then a bit later their staff would come over and take away the empties, so at no point did the bar have to get involved in the food side of things.

And the food was savage. Fresh mussels and scallops. Mmm.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Pretty Woman The Musical
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

26th Jun 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼