Pubs reopening June 29th

I went in there for a pint on Christmas Eve MOE given all the high praise you were giving it here. Must say I was a bit underwhelmed.

While the bar-staff were very attentive - portly chap with a shaved head, and a long-haired barmaid who probably caught her death of cold in that top she was wearing - the pint of stout was meh. Mrs said that the cocktail was very well priced at 12 Euros.
Decent atmosphere in there with a lot of families and friends catching up and the Christmas decor nice but not overpowering, but the jacks isn't as good as it used be previously and the ceiling in the pub itself seemed very low. Place would have you sweating if there was a big crowd. Another big table in teh centre reserved MOE so you won't like that ;)
7/10

Era fair play for going in all the same, sorry it was underwhelming. I will make sure that your feedback is passed on.

The stout is generally very good but funnily enough I haven't thought it was great this last week. Its like the pints are too cold or something and the heads are dying straight away. Nice pint tonight tbf.

You encountered the owner and one of his top bartenders. The staff are probably the best thing about the place.

I went to the Gables earlier, quite busy with the trad, and a very well known Irish musician was in there having pints with his mates.

Hadn't realized that I've a personal grudge with Benny McCabe to be honest but thanks for letting me know.
Not sure the owner of Sober Lane posts here, never mind reads the posts here. But if he does, he should be ashamed of himself charging that kind of money for a pint that I think is below par anyway.

Pubs SHOULD be loyal to their clientelle if they expect their clientelle to be loyal to them.

Ah I was only jesting, I know that you and Benny are on good terms.

Sober Lane is a complete and utter kip and one of the last places I'd go for a pint in Cork. My last two times there have been for food and both visits were an absolute shambles. I actually left without having been served any food the second time, they were so disorganised.

Agreed Bennys prices are high but that's just what a Heineken costs in the city these days. At least with Benny you know you're paying for a good pint in a nice pub.

€6.20 in the Fran Well is very good actually, I'm surprised its that low. Yer man who has that place is a serious operator though, he knows what he's doing.

Hyde Out did last call at 10:59 tonight despite it being a standard 11:30 night ffs.

Everyone in the pub just left and went to the Gables, which is still rocking to the tunes of John Neville

Hyde Out did last call at 10:59 tonight despite it being a standard 11:30 night ffs.

Everyone in the pub just left and went to the Gables, which is still rocking to the tunes of John Neville

I get that owners and staff have lives too and sometimes there's no cover but was there at least a sign up to let the punters know that they would be closing at 11?
I'd have hated to be buying a pint at five to and not had some comfort drinking it.

I get that owners and staff have lives too and sometimes there's no cover but was there at least a sign up to let the punters know that they would be closing at 11?
I'd have hated to be buying a pint at five to and not had some comfort drinking it.

I didn't really mind as such as I was just sipping away on my own, but there were three lads in their 40s who looked like they were catching up for Christmas, and they seemed very taken aback. I literally had a full pint in front of me and probably would have had another at last call if it was half 11.

But as you say, no issue at all if they advertise it. This isn't the first time they've closed up early either. I was in the Gables one night and a few lads arrived in saying HO had flashed at 10pm because it was quiet. Like as a new pub you should really be trying to entice people in as much as possible, not kicking them out early

I didn't really mind as such as I was just sipping away on my own, but there were three lads in their 40s who looked like they were catching up for Christmas, and they seemed very taken aback. I literally had a full pint in front of me and probably would have had another at last call if it was half 11.

But as you say, no issue at all if they advertise it. This isn't the first time they've closed up early either. I was in the Gables one night and a few lads arrived in saying HO had flashed at 10pm because it was quiet. Like as a new pub you should really be trying to entice people in as much as possible, not kicking them out early
I’d say liam wasn’t aware can’t see him allowing that to happen . Proper old school publican who remembers everyone’s name . Well I hope it’s the case that he isn’t aware

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Music Network Presents Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Perfect Days (Pg)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼