• Danny Noppert

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rob Cross

• Someone else (post below)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Be some craic if Keane Barry knocked MVG out. Must get over prelim first.
I had high hopes for Keane, even backed him at long odds for a few tournaments. A few years ago he was giving the likes of Peter Wright and Johnny Clayton (a right classic that was, and Clayton was the form player in the world at the time) a good run for their money. He knocked James Wade out of the UK Open in the QFs and lost 11-6 To Michael Smith in the semi.

Alas, he appears to have lost his way a bit, and the progress has stalled. Still only 21 though, and the talent is there, so hopefully he gets it right again in the next few years. Dylan Slevin against Florian Hempel to play Dmitri Van Den Berg could be a good one. Dimi has had a terrible year and whoever gets through could fancy their chances of an upset. Slevin (from Tipp) went to Q school last January and had some cracking averages. Hasn't set the world on fire yet, but again he's only 21 and a good run here could get him right up the rankings.

Luke Littler could be one to watch. The averages and general standard in the youth final last night was every bit as good as the tournament itself. Think he averaged about 107, and between them they had 11 or 12 180s in ten legs. He plays Christian Kist the former BDO winner, and the winner of that plays Andrew Gilding.

I had high hopes for Keane, even backed him at long odds for a few tournaments. A few years ago he was giving the likes of Peter Wright and Johnny Clayton (a right classic that was, and Clayton was the form player in the world at the time) a good run for their money. He knocked James Wade out of the UK Open in the QFs and lost 11-6 To Michael Smith in the semi.

Alas, he appears to have lost his way a bit, and the progress has stalled. Still only 21 though, and the talent is there, so hopefully he gets it right again in the next few years. Dylan Slevin against Florian Hempel to play Dmitri Van Den Berg could be a good one. Dimi has had a terrible year and whoever gets through could fancy their chances of an upset. Slevin (from Tipp) went to Q school last January and had some cracking averages. Hasn't set the world on fire yet, but again he's only 21 and a good run here could get him right up the rankings.

Luke Littler could be one to watch. The averages and general standard in the youth final last night was every bit as good as the tournament itself. Think he averaged about 107, and between them they had 11 or 12 180s in ten legs. He plays Christian Kist the former BDO winner, and the winner of that plays Andrew Gilding.
Seems to be no easy game early on this year. Even Smith looks to have a tough one if Buntz gets through. Really should be a cracking tournament again. Standard keeps getting better.

I always love the idea of early shocks in it but then can be disappointed later on in the tournament when likes of MVG, Wright, Price, Anderson aren't there. They're still the main attractions in my book at the moment despite the flood of new talent.

That being said I'd make an exception for an Irishman knocking out MVG.

Seems to be no easy game early on this year. Even Smith looks to have a tough one if Buntz gets through. Really should be a cracking tournament again. Standard keeps getting better.
It is, there are a lot of the supporting cast (say from seed 10 to 40) who can hang with the top guys and beat them on their day.
I always love the idea of early shocks in it but then can be disappointed later on in the tournament when likes of MVG, Wright, Price, Anderson aren't there. They're still the main attractions in my book at the moment despite the flood of new talent.
Aye, it's not a tournament that throws up shock winners though. Look at the list of winners in the link below and you'll see that almost every one was in the top 3 or 4 in the betting. The only outlier is Rob Cross and for some reason I always remember him being 20/1 before the 2018 tournament. But that was a minor shock at best. It was his debut year, and he was beating some of the best, and giving prime MVG some belting games, before knocking him out in semi that year (had a bit of luck with MVG missing multiple match darts, but you need that sometimes)

That being said I'd make an exception for an Irishman knocking out MVG.
Absolutely.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Music Network Presents Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Best Of Cork Special

City Limits, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼