2023 Intermediate A football

Aghabullogue were deserving victors on the day. Well done to them for achieving the Intermediate double! History was made today and fair play to them. Always a good traditional GAA club.

They had a storming first half. Their speed in the attack caused Mitchelstown fierce problems. Aghabullogue's 2 goals were as good as you'll see all year. Mitchelstown were lacking in serious pace and Aghabullogue took advantage of this. Anytime Town had the ball, they were swarmed and turned over. And then Aghabullogue went on the counter.

Mitchelstown realised they were in a final when it was too late. But credit to them, they made a few switches and regrouped at half time and came back into the game in the 2nd half. I thought Seán Walsh was Town's main driving force in their comeback. Keane, while he got caught for pace in the first half at centre back, he was much more effective in the 2nd half when moved up to midfield. Shane Beston is still Town's main forward in fairness to him. Seán O' Sullivan played well too.

For Aghabullogue, Paul Ring was very solid all day and good going forward. John Corkery came up with 2 or 3 massive points too. Thompson scored 1-2 but Aaron O' Sullivan was my MOTM at wing forward. He was excellent on the counter attack.

I heard a few weeks ago Cathail O' Mahony tore his calf in training. I wasn't sure at the time if it was true but it seems it was. The poor lad seems to be playing through injury all the time and picking up other injuries as a result. I hope he sits out for a few months to let his body heal. Aaron O' Brien was another good player that had to sit out today due to injury.

Aghabullogue will do well up Premier Intermediate. With three 18 year olds on today's starting 15, you could say they are going up at the right time.

Aghabullogue were deserving victors on the day. Well done to them for achieving the Intermediate double! History was made today and fair play to them. Always a good traditional GAA club.

They had a storming first half. Their speed in the attack caused Mitchelstown fierce problems. Aghabullogue's 2 goals were as good as you'll see all year. Mitchelstown were lacking in serious pace and Aghabullogue took advantage of this. Anytime Town had the ball, they were swarmed and turned over. And then Aghabullogue went on the counter.

Mitchelstown realised they were in a final when it was too late. But credit to them, they made a few switches and regrouped at half time and came back into the game in the 2nd half. I thought Seán Walsh was Town's main driving force in their comeback. Keane, while he got caught for pace in the first half at centre back, he was much more effective in the 2nd half when moved up to midfield. Shane Beston is still Town's main forward in fairness to him. Seán O' Sullivan played well too.

For Aghabullogue, Paul Ring was very solid all day and good going forward. John Corkery came up with 2 or 3 massive points too. Thompson scored 1-2 but Aaron O' Sullivan was my MOTM at wing forward. He was excellent on the counter attack.

I heard a few weeks ago Cathail O' Mahony tore his calf in training. I wasn't sure at the time if it was true but it seems it was. The poor lad seems to be playing through injury all the time and picking up other injuries as a result. I hope he sits out for a few months to let his body heal. Aaron O' Brien was another good player that had to sit out today due to injury.

Aghabullogue will do well up Premier Intermediate. With three 18 year olds on today's starting 15, you could say they are going up at the right time.

Great summation 🙏

NCS.
A fair summary I think and congratulation to Aghabullogue.
Cathal O Mahony has a quad injury, it's been known for over three weeks that he was out and obviously was a huge loss.
I thought Sean Walsh was poor tbh, he ran around like a lunatic but did nothing with the ball and missed several scores including a great chance for a goal.
Beston is just one great player, in hurling and football.
I thought Mark Keane was excellent in the second half and I thought he dragged Mitchelstown back into the game.
I am told that a Mitchelstown player tried to gouge the eye of an Aghabullogue player and if so, I didn't see it, that is disgraceful.

A number of players will now probably retire in Mitchelstown but there are a number of good young lads coming through, in fact yesterday bringing off some of the older heads and bringing on the younger lads improved the team.

I thought the referee was very poor tbh, I know Mitchelstown are very unhappy with performance.

However, that has nothing to do with Aghabullogue and they have my congratulations.

Aghabullogue win by a point, first half cost Mitchelst

O Mahony obviously a huge loss to Town.
When Aghabullogue played the running game first half they were outstanding.

They played constipated football second half with the wind and a big lead.

Understandable when they’ve lost 3 finals. They won’t give a shite though!

Fair play to them, a very good club that give both codes equal attention.

Aghabullogue also got club veteran Paddy Finnegan (aka the Finegan Ked) back involved in the management team this year. Was involved in 2004 when they won their first junior title, was seen as the brains behind that succes and has been given much credit in terms of this win locally. Needs to be back involved in a Cork setup at some level once again.

NCS.
A fair summary I think and congratulation to Aghabullogue.
Cathal O Mahony has a quad injury, it's been known for over three weeks that he was out and obviously was a huge loss.
I thought Sean Walsh was poor tbh, he ran around like a lunatic but did nothing with the ball and missed several scores including a great chance for a goal.
Beston is just one great player, in hurling and football.
I thought Mark Keane was excellent in the second half and I thought he dragged Mitchelstown back into the game.
I am told that a Mitchelstown player tried to gouge the eye of an Aghabullogue player and if so, I didn't see it, that is disgraceful.

A number of players will now probably retire in Mitchelstown but there are a number of good young lads coming through, in fact yesterday bringing off some of the older heads and bringing on the younger lads improved the team.

I thought the referee was very poor tbh, I know Mitchelstown are very unhappy with performance.

However, that has nothing to do with Aghabullogue and they have my congratulations.
I thought the ref was fine overall. No major errors of note anyway other than maybe missing a few potential red cards for Mitchelstown players for their over-zealous tackling and leaving an extra mark or two on lads after the foul was committed.

On Keane, I felt he was very good at midfield and led the fight back because Mitchelstown pushed the Aghabullogue kickout really well in second half, forcing them long to where Mitchelstown had huge size advantage. He carried a lot of ball then but I don’t understand how he was ever used as a centre back.

They’ll be back again next year as the grade isn’t overly strong. Mahony’s loss to them is sickening, he’d probably have made the difference to them between his quality and the belief they’d have of winning with just having him there. Aghabullogue will be strong up a level and will probably be among the top 4 teams in it especially with Cill Na Martra gone up.

I personally thought Sean Walsh was excellent. Ran at them every chance he could and they had no answer for him. Himself, Mark Keane, Beston and Sean o Sullivan dragged Mitchelstown back into the game

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼