Cyclists

A growing economy, with sky high rents and high inflation, many people do lack time to exercise, due to different reasons, but there are ways to get in some informal exercise by walking or cycling more often and using the car less, an example for me is that I now rarely drive to the supermarket, unless the weather is awful, that's one way of getting in a walk and doing something that needs to be done at the same time.

There's a huge wealth disparity in this city, you only have to look around to see it, on the one hand you have people from age 45 upwards driving around in SUVs costing anything up to 100k, then you see people in the under 30 age bracket getting around on electric scooters and bicycles, and facing a lot of resentment from older drivers for doing so.

Today was a perfect day for cycling.
everyday is a perfect day for cycling... :p

Stacey still wants cycle lanes that cyclists won't use.

You do know that busses are scheduled about one every quarter of an hour don't you - so the vast majority of the time the Bus Lanes are under-utilised. Therefore, the very small percentage of people who actually cycle could use the Bus Lanes for the majority of time there's no busses in it, and the rest of the time they can use the traffic lanes that they never tire of telling us they're perfectly entitled to use, and that so many of them already use, in preference to their own cycle lanes.

It would be utterly farcical to increase the number of cycle lanes unless and until their use by cyclists would be compulsory where they are provided.
yeah i know they should be in general like but at times i have to leave a cycle lane for my own safety... good example is the cycle lane that goes past macdonalds heading towords turners cross pitch..i f you intend to head straight on to the pitch instead of turning left for the tory top or ballypheane i would strongly advise cyclists to get out of the lane into traffic before the lights. otherwise good chance of being clobbered by traffic turning left... but you are right cyclists should use cycle lanes but it cant be mandatory for safety reasons,

When I look back upon my childhood years I recall the freedom I had to roam, I was briefly involved in a local GAA club as an 7 year old and I used to walk to the training by myself, nowadays kids get dropped everywhere, parents are hanging around bored while the kids are training, being a child now is far different to what it was in the 1980s.

When we were young we didn't used to go to playgrounds or cycle parks, the streets were our playground, where we sported and played.
annees-coup-de-coeur-02-g_new.jpg

Weā€™re an island of cars ā€“ thereā€™s almost 2.5 million of them driving around. And you donā€™t need me to tell you about how hard it is to find a place to park, about the accidents and deaths or the fact that it takes two hours to drive from Santry to Sandyford. You donā€™t need me to remind you about pollution and the noise and how these very cars are devastating our childrenā€™s lives. We live with it. We say that we need the car. And the second car. We parent differently in 2023, ferrying children to and from organised activities and hovering, always hovering. We have retreated from the streets and surrendered them to cars instead.

Weā€™re so busy worrying about our children being groomed by paedophiles or being hit by a car. We donā€™t think about the actual problem: the fact that weā€™re bringing up a generation of children so used to scheduling and monitoring that they canā€™t help growing up to be the most co-dependent, anxiety-ridden, risk-averse humans to ever walk the earth.

We have designed our world for cars, not for children. This is so wrong. We should all get behind campaigns to close roads so children can play in the street like their grandparents did. Give up your car for a few hours a week. Campaign to allow children to play again..

F**k off back to dublin you jakeen see you next tuesday! šŸ˜‡

yeah i know they should be in general like but at times i have to leave a cycle lane for my own safety... good example is the cycle lane that goes past macdonalds heading towords turners cross pitch..i f you intend to head straight on to the pitch instead of turning left for the tory top or ballypheane i would strongly advise cyclists to get out of the lane into traffic before the lights. otherwise good chance of being clobbered by traffic turning left... but you are right cyclists should use cycle lanes but it cant be mandatory for safety reasons,

I've no problem with them ironing out the few loonball cycle lanes that currently disappear into a telegraph pole or jam the cyclist between two traffic lanes making it a bit of a lottery for them to emerge but unless and until the use of provided cycle lanes is made mandatory then it makes absolutely no sense to build more and more of them.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
OnĆ³ir
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

27th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

The Drive

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼