The Hurling Thread

TG4 all day. Outstanding channel and great documentary series about the game and former players etc.
What a channel for Club games and more.
I would pay no problem the extra money for them to have the right to show the games.
Outstanding channel and promotion of a lot of different sports and life in Ireland.
Irish commentary and analysis. No thanks.

A s imple thing RTE could do have the Sunday game on at 8.00 when children and younger people might actually be able to stay up and watch it
Now that would be sensible but don't expect that from RTE. I never watch it apart from the GAA, it really is an abysmal station. Their effort this season is truly shocking. I think they may have shown Limerick v Waterford but no other MCM. In the meantime every penny ante rugby match going seems to be on it. Do the GAA have no say in what gets shown or are they in on the act too? Who exactly owns GAAGO and where are the revenues from that going.

Now that would be sensible but don't expect that from RTE. I never watch it apart from the GAA, it really is an abysmal station. Their effort this season is truly shocking. I think they may have shown Limerick v Waterford but no other MCM. In the meantime every penny ante rugby match going seems to be on it. Do the GAA have no say in what gets shown or are they in on the act too? Who exactly owns GAAGO and where are the revenues from that going.

Joint venture between RTE and GAA.

Not to be a contrary auld bollox but I’d wager at least 5-10k extra attended the Limerick clare and cork tipp games because it wasn’t on telly. Know quite a few a work who decided to go as Saturday wasn’t televised. I was at
Tipp cork in thurles last year coz the u20 final was on first. 27k I checked it back. Most of whom were cork and Limerick.
I totally accept the argument that it’s unfair on the elderly and the issue of exposure of the game but you remember the games you attended as a child not the ones you watched on the telly.

Gaa isn’t a charity. You have to pay to attend. Clubs cost money to run. There’s no ronaldos or messis getting paid silly money.
The comments I see in some places of I wouldn’t give the grab all association the €12 smack of the type of people who drop their kids off at training and never contribute and come to the big match screaming obscenities

Ah no wonder we are not seeing the best games on terrestrial then. A good old fashioned stitch - up.

Yeah - RTE starved for cash and know that Cork Tipp or Limerick v Clare going to pull a much bigger audience than say two Nordie teams beating the crap out of each other in rain swept Clones or mismatch between Clare and Kerry in football.

Not to be a contrary auld bollox but I’d wager at least 5-10k extra attended the Limerick clare and cork tipp games because it wasn’t on telly. Know quite a few a work who decided to go as Saturday wasn’t televised. I was at
Tipp cork in thurles last year coz the u20 final was on first. 27k I checked it back. Most of whom were cork and Limerick.
I totally accept the argument that it’s unfair on the elderly and the issue of exposure of the game but you remember the games you attended as a child not the ones you watched on the telly.

Gaa isn’t a charity. You have to pay to attend. Clubs cost money to run. There’s no ronaldos or messis getting paid silly money.
The comments I see in some places of I wouldn’t give the grab all association the €12 smack of the type of people who drop their kids off at training and never contribute and come to the big match screaming obscenities

As DOC said last night, there is room for PPV but it appears RTE using the hurling (primarily the Munster hurling championship) as the bait. Lot more football games on over the course of season so in theory they should make up the majority of GAAGO offering.

Next weekend, they are showing Waterford v Clare in hurling and the football offering is some tailteann cup game.

Last edited:
As DOC said last night, there is room for PPV but it appears RTE using the hurling (primarily the Munster hurling championship) as the bait. Lot more football games on over the course of season so in theory they should make up the majority of GAAGO offering.

Next weekend, they are showing Waterford v Tipp in hurling and the football offering is some tailteann cup game.
I accept that. 100%. Munster hurling is by far and away the best product. 4/5 football matches will come close in terms of generating fan. My point was more it’s actually good to almost force people to go to games. It’s by far and away the best way of keeping young fellas hurling. When you go and see the gladiators in the arena you can’t wait for your next u12 or u14 game.

The real test is whether they have the stones to try a ppv for de dubz!!!!

I accept that. 100%. Munster hurling is by far and away the best product. 4/5 football matches will come close in terms of generating fan. My point was more it’s actually good to almost force people to go to games. It’s by far and away the best way of keeping young fellas hurling. When you go and see the gladiators in the arena you can’t wait for your next u12 or u14 game.

The real test is whether they have the stones to try a ppv for de dubz!!!!
Of course they do as they know they'll get significant uptake. Did it for Dubs Kildare last week iirc. RTE would put every Dubs game on PPV if they could get away with it. Only reasonably high profile football game they've shown yet.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jake Bugg
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

19th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

A Bend In The Road

St. Peters Cork, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼