War on plastic...single use plastics

TheEarlofPearl

There was a documentary on the Beeb tonight and it was fascinating to be honest. The presenter challenged some chick to go shopping for the same ingredients for a meal and she could bring her own reusable packaging (like tubberware) from home (it's allowed in UK stores) and buy loose and the presenter purchased the same ingredients packaged already.

Loose was 13.03 and packaged cost 8.77. The presenter then checked online to see if it was just a freak result based on the items they chose and yet loose items were 42% more expensive than packaged in Tesco and 19% in Sainsbury.

There was a documentary on the Beeb tonight and it was fascinating to be honest. The presenter challenged some chick to go shopping for the same ingredients for a meal and she could bring her own reusable packaging (like tubberware) from home (it's allowed in UK stores) and buy loose and the presenter purchased the same ingredients packaged already.

Loose was 13.03 and packaged cost 8.77. The presenter then checked online to see if it was just a freak result based on the items they chose and yet loose items were 42% more expensive than packaged in Tesco and 19% in Sainsbury.

Did the loose purchaser buy the exact amount needed for the meal or an equal amount to the prepackaged item? Was the loose item of a higher quality than the prepackaged?

That's playing fast and loose with the definition of 'fascinating'.

I'd imagine loose product has higher wastage, more damaged goods and is more susceptible to shoplifting.

Single use plastic is another preoccupation of the left wing, pro-abortion, anti marriage, liberal elite.

Every time you avoid single use plastic you are killing an unborn child. I buy as much of it as I can and I drop it to up to to Ellis Yard 'bring site' so Ken O'Flynn can get more headlines in the Echo.

Said I'd get that in nice and early.

Last edited:

As fat as I know, and I didn't see the program, it is only on trial at the moment.
I've heard that Waitrose are trialing it in Oxford and you can buy loose stuff and other stuff such as olive oil. I'm sure it isn't fully sorted yet but maybe packaging companies will be under pressure now.

People are always talking about banning those plastic knives and forks you get from the takeaway because they're "single use" but they've served me well on my last 17 self catering holidays in Lanza.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Award Winning Terry Alderton and Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

4th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼