Must.... Own....property....

F seems very, very low for a house in that condition.

I will admit, my knowledge of BER is sketchy at best, but I suspect the fact that it's got single glazing, possibly not much insulation in the attic, a poorly insulated flat roof and a crap old boiler be the biggest contributors?
An F BER rating is pretty poor but you would sink up to €80k to bring it up to spec. (Windows, doors, insulation, heating system, new boiler etc) but you could get some grants etc and otherwise a great house in a good location with 4 bedrooms a garage and decent garden.
They have done all the nice cosmetic stuff internally but you can do external insulation which would really help.

F seems very, very low for a house in that condition.

I will admit, my knowledge of BER is sketchy at best, but I suspect the fact that it's got single glazing, possibly not much insulation in the attic, a poorly insulated flat roof and a crap old boiler be the biggest contributors?

To have that low a rating the walls arnt insulated. You're talking complete internal or external wall insulation required.

Agree, but have seen other houses for sale in the area at the moment with much less cosmetic work done and with a similar BER rating for considerably higher prices. Just wondering are there other major issues here like subsidence

Agree, but have seen other houses for sale in the area at the moment with much less cosmetic work done and with a similar BER rating for considerably higher prices. Just wondering are there other major issues here like subsidence
Tbh, you need to get an engineer if you are that interested. Seeking info about that property here could unintentionally steer you in the wrong direction.

What would you recommend then for second time buyers that have a house to sell as well? Wait or is it pointless since price of house to sell will drop as well?
It depends on your situation.

Just to work it through, if you have a 20 year, €300k, 80% LTV mortgage now (i.e. €75k of equity on €375k house) and you're looking to go up to something 100k more, and house prices drop by 25% over the next 5 years, then you'll probably be down around €230k mortgage with €50k of equity, your desired house would be down to about €350k, so you'd need another €70k instead of €100k more.

The bigger the extra mortgage you need, the bigger the effect.

Recommendation would also vary with age, duration of mortgage and how badly you need it.

To have that low a rating the walls arnt insulated. You're talking complete internal or external wall insulation required.
15k would surely cover insulating it?
It's not that big a house. Looks like a nice garden to it.

There's surely something else going on there.

Edit: just noticed it's single glazed. Add another 15-20 to that.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Earlier Show
The Roundy, Castle St.

4th May 2024 @ 6:30 pm
More info..

Joe Mac

Cantys, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼