The Official Man Utd Thread - Part 3.

Assume this is a bad wind up?

It's blindingly obvious why the various forces of evil parked their resources at Chelsea, City, PSG, Newcastle...and it's not to make a direct profit on assets.
That's fair. But you seem to think no billionaires can be philanthropic or want to leave a lasting legacy behind them.

Jack walker who was a very wealthy man did it at Blackburn. Sir John Hall did it at Newcastle, Benham at Brentford etc. It was done by another rich man with Man Utd in the 30s, James Gibson.

In fact, had it not been for Gibson we might not be having this conversation as United almost went bust.

And I might be a SSB 🤑 Thank you James.

That's fair. But you seem to think no billionaires can be philanthropic or want to leave a lasting legacy behind them.

Sure, it's theoretically possible - but it's a bit of a pipe dream now.

As the values of the bigger clubs edged up close to £100m the number of altruistic owners started plummeting.

Now that it takes £3-5bn to take ownership of a club with global reach, the chances of any new PL owner being a philanthropist is pretty tiny.

If the Glazers do sell up in the next decade then I'd put my money on it being a private equity purchase, which would be far from a philanthropic no-strings arrangement.

And I might be a SSB 🤑 Thank you James.

And a thank you from me too James ;)

Sure, it's theoretically possible - but it's a bit of a pipe dream now.

As the values of the bigger clubs edged up close to £100m the number of altruistic owners started plummeting.

Now that it takes £3-5bn to take ownership of a club with global reach, the chances of any new PL owner being a philanthropist is pretty tiny.

If the Glazers do sell up in the next decade then I'd put my money on it being a private equity purchase, which would be far from a philanthropic no-strings arrangement.

And a thank you from me too James ;)
Jesus fella,I've given you plenty of examples of rich fellas buying football clubs for reasons other than profit.

Yet you insist it's impossible.

Jesus fella,I've given you plenty of examples of rich fellas buying football clubs for reasons other than profit.

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

1. I've said it's hugely unlikely, not impossible.

2. None of the examples you've quoted are vaguely comparable - most are from donkeys years ago and all were sales for values which are a tiny fraction of the £3-to-£5bn that it would take to buy a club like Man Utd.

Definitely possible. When you think of the size of the Man Utd fan base, there must be a few very rich folk included.
Having said that, big difference from being an avid supporter who kicks the tv when they see McFred in action and being so immersed in the club and its performance, that you'd be willing to shell out £8bn or whatever to take over the club and replace McFred.

I'd keep an eye on LFC obviously but no f**king way would I be putting billions into them. What a legacy - "oh yeah, he had billions but he gave it all away to buy some rich yanks out and take control of a British football club - he never rated Naby Keita"!!

As a legacy goes , it's hardly the Bill Gates foundation!!

Besides, initial priority would be to to outspend JP to get Cork GAA up to top of the class!!

The INEOS guy a sharp operator and mega rich but his business MO not too different from Glazers.
He may well stump up if he thinks he can do better job and create more value but he'd be expecting tidy little return on his investment over the following years.

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

1. I've said it's hugely unlikely, not impossible.

2. None of the examples you've quoted are vaguely comparable - most are from donkeys years ago and all were sales for values which are a tiny fraction of the £3-to-£5bn that it would take to buy a club like Man Utd.
No, I'm not obtuse at all Phil.

But I'm noticing your obsession with always being right, no matter what.

All of those examples are comparable. Walkers fortune of roughly 400 million would be worth in the billions today.

Ditto John Hall. BTW, the Italian giants like Juve and Milan were both funded by wealthy philanthropic families when Italian football was in the ascendancy

But I suppose those examples don't count either, something something.

I've just given my opinion and outlined why your examples are not particularly applicable.

Football valuations have gone through the roof this century.

So, plucking examples from the previous century will have limited usefulness in predicting the profile/intentions of someone who is actually capable of buying Man Utd in 2022.

You quote Jack Walker's fortune of £600m. If he actually invested all of it to buy Blackburn then you might be comparing apples with apples. But he didn't. He invested a tiny fraction of that to take them over.

Maybe Ratcliffe will be an outlier and shell out multiple billions with no expectation of every recouping it, but unlike you I wouldn't put my money on it.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Bernard Casey (Local Gossip) and Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

22nd Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Io Capitano (15A)

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 4:15pm

More events ▼