The next Government

Who will form the next government

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Last time - I never mentioned SF in relation to this nor do I post on their behalf nor am I a member nor in this particular discussion do I care what their policy is - we all know they are not the government and we should know they are not going to be as I have posted repeatedly over the last year or so.

SF are a party I have voted for they are not a party I support in the sense of to the exclusion of everyone else and honest posters will know I have commended Coveney and Richmond in FG without any bias.

Point being relating my criticism of the Greens as ideologically driven to the fact I have voted for SF in the past is irrelevant. Similarly implying I need to watch a documentary to understand global warming is also irrelevant. I have a degree in Geology and Geography I understand the implications fine and well.

A better counter argument might be that we are past pragmatism and past the point where the reality of life outside the M50 to have any bearing on government policy. And to that I would say if that is the case why are other countries able to do what they do and we not? Why does Ireland HAVE to go the ideologically pure route when the Norwegians are not, the Germans are not, the French are not?

Just saying the world is in a climate crisis and therefore Green party policy must be accepted as a done deal is not an argument against my point - it is reinforcing my point. It implies any criticism no matter how it is based can be equated with climate change denial or requiring "real" understanding of the scale of the situation or education of the reality by watching documentaries..

Or we can go the grinding gears route and you can slag me off with the fact I voted for SF in the past rather than actually arguing the merits of my point.

It's as though Ireland always wants to be "Teacher's Pet" on stuff. Watch ze germans now that the Russians are tightening the screw on gas pipeline. The Germans will be pragmatic. The 8% Greens in Ireland will put their ideology over pragmatism.

I can't figure out if it's an involuntary thing or what like knee jerk. So one last time - SF has nothing to do with the point I'm making.

Even the part of your post that is actual point making - there's no plan. Build wind farms, 100% agreed. Where? When? At what cost?

Just to further illustrate my point, using your own point - 50% reduction in emissions for transport. No argument on the target. However given our post Brexit situation and the fact we are an island with increased RoRo traffic depending on haulage to move our products around - how are we going to move them to a 50% reduction? Is the intent the DART will only source its power from sustainable energy sources? Is the bus service going to move to biofuel? The bus service that rural Ireland depends on? What is the plan to migrate the existing fleet to biofuel?

To an extent these are hypothetical questions but then so is "the plan promises to build more offshore wind farms....." - look how that worked out for EV charging point scheme.

So.....accepting the climate crisis we are in and accepting the targets we have to reach and their timescale - the ONLY point I've ever made about the Greens is they are not planning for Ireland as it is but a Green utopia that they want it to be - now. Yea I call Eamonn Ryan sleepy, the guy fell asleep in the Dáil in session. I've also said he seems like a genuine guy, who believes passionately about addressing the climate crisis, its just he seems to think what works for Dublin should work for the rest of us. And it won't.

Get used to it PROC - no matter what point you try to make, if it's at odds with the opinions of the PROC self-imagined "intelligentsia" you'll get shouted down. And you can repeat your point time and again, they won't care. They'll just keep repeating the lie in the hope that in time they'll have the dullards convinced that what they're punting is the truth.

We see it here on a number of threads.

Kevin Doyle from indo says mm will not lead ff into next election, he says mm will have an eye on eu commisioner job,
Doyle says away from the public eye ff and sf are cosy enough and he reckons they will form next govt,

MM getting a cushy job as a political pension SHOCKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eoin o broin and regina doherty will both get a stint at presenting newstalk the hardshoulder this week, il be listening to cormac and sarah rather than these two idiots,

Don't usually listen to Newstalk but caught some of EOB on the radio yesterday. Thought for a guy who's new to it he did very well. Though a cookery section on a radio show was a bit weird I thought. Hilarious one guy texted in that a Shinner was given unfettered access to the radio and he'd never llisten to Newstalk again. Don't think EOB was pushing anything SF in the show tbh.

Kathleen funchion TD has had to move in with her parents in order to save for a deposit for a house,
On a salary of nearly 90k, What hope has joe public got? She also says been away from her kids so often during the week
is taking a toll on her kids, Why go forward for the Dail so? surely you know if elected it will mean spending a lot of time in Dublin,

That's exactly the point she and her party have been making for years. FF/FG have overseen an absolute disaster in terms of housing in this country over the last decade.

As for your question on why a mother of children should go forward for the Dail if it means she'd be away from her kids, that's not very forward thinking of you jimmy. They're trying to get more women into politics, not less.

If we weren't such a centralised country perhaps she mightn't have to spend so much time away from her kids either. I'm sure the Dublin TDs don't have the same hardships. Let the Dail sit around the country from time to time - Lord knows it might wake Sleepy Ryan up and he'd see that there are towns and cities outside the Pale with infrastructural problems and considerations of their own.

some are comparing Funcheon to Pee flynn,

Comparing as in compare-and-contrast, or compare as in link? If the latter then it's probably only the voices in your head jimmy. No sane person could try to link the two, one having to stay at home to save for a deposit despite having a large salary, while the other ran three houses, had staff, and tried to claim it as a bit of a hardship "you try it some time" as though such an option was open to anyone bar from a fraction of a percent of the population.

Comparing as in compare-and-contrast, or compare as in link? If the latter then it's probably only the voices in your head jimmy. No sane person could try to link the two, one having to stay at home to save for a deposit despite having a large salary, while the other ran three houses, had staff, and tried to claim it as a bit of a hardship "you try it some time" as though such an option was open to anyone bar from a fraction of a percent of the population.
everything is relative, for somebody who can barely make ends meet and paying high rent to read Kathleen funcheon say she is struggling on 90kplus expenses
can be very hard to accept,

everything is relative, for somebody who can barely make ends meet and paying high rent to read Kathleen funcheon say she is struggling on 90kplus expenses

She has a wage of 90k and further expenses of 50k.

This is the kind of income most people can only dream of.

And she goes to the press about how tough she has it?( Surely Up the Ra is paying maintenance to boot?)

Let them eat cake....

What's very hard to accept is that our children and grand-children will probably never be able to afford to own their own homes in this country jimmy. A roof over one's head where they couldn't be screwed on rent taking bigger and bigger chunks of their take-home pay and at the end have something to leave to their kids to get a start in life.

For our children now a much higher percentage will never be able to afford their own home in Ireland, and instead will have to pay "dead money" in rent to vulture-funds or mega-wealthy who own strings of properties, paying much more than a mortgage for a house, but at the end of their working lives have nothing to show for it. Or else will have to move abroad. That's what's very hard to accept imho. But that's the FF-FG legacy now.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

9th May 2024 @ 10:00 am
More info..

Colm Murphy

St. Peters Cork, Today @ 10am

More events ▼