The Hurling Thread

I won't shed a tear for Cody. I'm absolutely thrilled he is gone. It's true I don't particularly like some of the elements his teams brought to hurling, namely those god forsaken rucks, no, the real reason I'm happy he's gone is that I was and am insanely jealous of what he brought to Kilkenny. They left us in the rear view mirror on top of the roll of honour and its unlikely we will reclaim that position again in my lifetime. I wish it had been us in that position.

Brendan Cummins said it best the other night when he said you had to be 7 points better then Kilkenny to win by 3. He has left a huge legacy there and completely changed the Kilkenny phsyce.

If we had only had got over the line in 2006 we would have finished him and while that KK team would have won a few All Irelands they wouldn't have dominated to the extent they did. Alas Cody's indomitable drive and ferocious competitiveness came out in his team that day and they went in one direction and us in another. Possibly the most important game in hurling history and none of us realised it at the time.

I think Kilkenny for all the talk about them last week are on a downward slope. Their best player was a 35 year old and in my view he held them together. Numerous members of their panel supposedly leaving to travel and work abroad next year as well by all accounts. Cody gave them all that 10% extra belief that made them better then they were.

I'd like to see him on the Sunday game some time. The best manager of all time. Good riddance to him.

Last edited:
I won't shed a tear for Cody. I'm absolutely thrilled he is gone. It's true I don't particularly like some of the elements his teams brought to hurling, namely those god forsaken rucks, no, the real reason I'm happy he's gone is that I was and am insanely jealous of what he brought to Kilkenny. They left us in the rear view mirror on top of the role of honour and its unlikely we will reclaim that position again in my lifetime. I wish it had been us in that position.

Brendan Cummins said it best the other night when he said you had to be 7 points better then Kilkenny to win by 3. He has left a huge legacy there and completely changed the Kilkenny phsyce.

If we had only had got over the line in 2006 we would have finished him and while that KK team would have won a few All Irelands they wouldn't have dominated to the extent they did. Alas Cody's indomitable drive and ferocious competitiveness came out in his team that day and they went in one direction and us in another. Possibly the most important game in hurling history and none of us realised it at the time.

I think Kilkenny for all the talk about them last week are on a downward slope. Their best player was a 35 year old and in my view he held them together. Numerous members of their panel supposedly leaving to travel and work abroad next year as well by all accounts. Cody gave them all that 10% extra belief that made them better then they were.

I'd like to see him on the Sunday game some time. The best manager of all time. Good riddance to him.
And if only me granny had balls then she'd be me grandad.

Why? Cork lost to Kilkenny narrowly in 2003 final, but with a young team and but for many wides, would have won. Importantly, they didn’t lie down and took the fight to Kilkenny. In 2004 Cork beat Kilkenny comfortably in the final… they didn’t play second fiddle to anyone back then. Cork won again in 2005 before Cody took over. Cork didn’t move with the times!
Cody was KK manager from 1998 to 2022 without a break. I thought that in 2004 Kilkenny (under Cody) seemed to give up halfway through that match, the only time I've ever seen it happen. In 2006 he returned KK to the All-Ireland final to win against Cork and evolved the system we all learned to know and hate.

Well written! I was at the 2006 final, and although Cork were well beaten on the day, there was only 3 points in it ,on the scoreboard.I believe if Cork had won that day, we would have avoided the strikes and strife, that dogged our county. Cody had full and unequivocal backing from his players.Let’s hope that we or another county can halt Limerick’s dominance.

I would in my hoop.

Yeah he was the daddy in winning All Irelands but I'd never celebrate his achievements.

All this 'man's game', 'intensity' and 'hunting in packs' guff, his sides implemented systematic fouling from 2006 , the GAA let it happen.

Theres been less emphasis on skills and more seeing what you can get away with. Delighted to see him gone. A dour, miserable old bollocks.

An apt description of yourself I'd say,

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Munster Hurling Championship: Cork V Clare

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 2pm

More events ▼