Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Heard it on RTE sports this morning. Marty Morrisey kept telling us that Kingston "is a player's man". Like what the actual f**k does that even mean when it comes to getting Cork to win the All Ireland?

Thinking back all the successful managers for Cork, were they all "player's men"??? Is Cody a "player's man"? Is Kiely a "player's man"??

There are counties rubbing their hands with glee at this re-appointment I suspect.

Looks like the die is cast now and that KK is getting the gig for another year. That being the case I hope that he has had an epiphany and has learnt from his TWO unsuccessful stints at the job to date and that he radically improves his tactics, overall in-game decisions, selection and deployment of players. On the plus side KK and his brains trust have huge room for improvement.

Am I right in thinking that the last 5 times we've met Galway in the championship they've beaten us? Galway like.

Gawd, it's getting more and more like the "It won't be another 13 years before the Glen win the county again" 😔
Id say some of the Kilkenny players have probably never sat down for a conversation with Cody,

Id say some of the Kilkenny players have probably never sat down for a conversation with Cody,

Cody isn't the most popular man in Kilkenny hurling circles, despite that, or indeed probably because of it, he's easily been their most successful manager.

The Cork senior intercounty hurlers don't need another pal, they need someone to manage them as a collective to win an All Ireland.

If the players have issues with the management, and I too believe they do, why are they backing them to stay on? It doesn’t make any sense
Firstly it’s a leak from someone to the examiner, presumably someone who is happy with the extension and secondly whenever I hear the players are happy I would ask - all of them? Or just a select group?
Because all the players are not happy and we’re all aware of various issues this year.

Cody isn't the most popular man in Kilkenny hurling circles, despite that, or indeed probably because of it, he's easily been their most successful manager.

The Cork senior intercounty hurlers don't need another pal, they need someone to manage them as a collective to win an All Ireland.
As Roy Keane said about his team mates....they are my work colleagues nothing more than that,

Firstly it’s a leak from someone to the examiner, presumably someone who is happy with the extension and secondly whenever I hear the players are happy I would ask - all of them? Or just a select group?
Because all the players are not happy and we’re all aware of various issues this year.
The whole thing looks orchestrated TBH. between this and what Landers & Nash have said earlier in the week somebody with a specific agenda is feeding info.

The article says he was offered it after the full time whistle and that the CCB are resistant to a manager from outside Cork.

They're right on the 2nd bit.

The article says the Cork player group are in favour of him staying in charge.

The article says the next CCB is in July.

KK was quoted in an article in response to a piece asking him to go as saying immediate speculation about his future and the players was disrespectful after going out the day before.

God knows the CCB have form here.

But if all of the above is true, he'd be announced if he was taking it. Offering him the extension after the final whistle is very strange, not least because I can't imagine KK himself was in the form for that within minutes of leaving the quarter final behind them. This isn't Pulis getting another year after keeping a team up. This isn't how hurling management appointments are supposed to be done - even in Cork.

Something about this smacks of the CCB defending KK and his team because as previously pointed out, he's given his all, is a very nice person, heart 150% devoted to Cork hurling and the sniping was inevitable given his earlier comments after the Waterford win about the commentary on him and his team.

I don't think this necessarily means he's staying for another year at all.

The reality is Limerick are the best team in the country and will be for another year or 2, but no team last forever. Cork need to be ready to step up, we have some very good players coming through. Not sure KK and his selectors are up to that task. We have had to watch some terrible displays under that management.

Those players that want them to stay,would that be the player that fcuked them out off it in the dressing room in Thurles last saturday or the player who did not travel home in the bus after the game or the 3 or 4 players that have had a run in with a certain selector during the season.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Pretty Woman The Musical
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

27th Jun 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

Brian Gallagher Plus Guests

City Limits, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼